The most neutral speaker I ever heard

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Kii audio three. Weird name. I listened to them this afternoon. Can't quite get them out of my head.

Here's why. They are the most neutral, effortlessly dynamic speakers I've ever heard. Makes them ideal for classical or music with real instruments. They're magical by taking everything out of the way that is not on the recording. It was as if I heard the recording and nothing else. Surprisingly it worked very well with Acdc too.

The bad? Have you ever experienced how dry and boring synthesized sounds are? Not yet? Then go hear some pop through these speakers. You hear everything. And it is quite boring. Not much richness about it. Just plink plonk. Although I can appreciate the talent shining through with music from Michael Jackson. Still, I'm missing the richness of real instruments. Norah Jones: mesmerizing. Prince: sorry. Old music like rock and roll can be hit and miss. You will hear how well or badly it was recorded. Sam Cooke tends to be very good. Lots of real instruments...

What's going on? In essence it's not the speakers fault: they are just showing as it is. Sounds are so well seperated and so clear of tone that it is obvious to anyone.

The technical bits naking all this possible are all in the box. Really everything: a bespoke dac, 6 amplifiers. All made by or in cooperation with Bruno Putzeys. Has 6 drivers too. Why 6? Because some fire backwards and sideways to eliminate bass boom. Simply put they send the opposite soundwave to the one coming from the back and sidewalls to reduce reflections.

In my experience it works very well. The first moment you hear them you'll notice there's something different about them. It's hard to pinpoint but when I moved from side to side I noticed how directional the sound coming from the speakers is.

I feel a bit confused. I just heard the most natural, effortless sound I ever heard, but I had to adept to it. I sometimes felt I heard a 'slowness' in the music reproduction. Just a moment ahead I felt it was the total lack of added noise which made sounds appear out of total blackness which made synthesized sounds appear isolated from each other.
The bass was another part that I couldn't get my head around. I thought I couldn't hear distinct differences in deep bass, but bass was present, tight and powerful. It might explain something if I say I'm coming from floorstanders reaching to 30hz, but still it was a bit peculiar. It might be that the kii audio three's bass is more realistically portayed than my current speakers or that the relatively small kii's are held back in the bass by simple physics. Their boxes are half of what I have at home.

In short: amazing speakers. Like nothing else.
Might be my next although I'm still very much drawn to the sound and design of B&O. The beolab 5 are out of this world lovely to look at. A man can dream...second hand maybe or a new kii audio three. Highly recommended if you value classical or well recorded music with real instruments.

gasolin

Most neutral? http://www.stereophile.com/content/dynaudio-evidence-master-loudspeaker-measurements#OqdHGkLiVsEXwPJV.97

dynfig3.jpg

abacus

Professional studio monitors strive to be neutral and accurate (There are plenty out there) and the speakers you mention, come from that stable. (They are just finished off to fit more harmoniously in a domestic environment)

Try the studio hi end ATC, Adam, Genlec, Yamaha etc. and you will find the neutral and accurate sound you heard is normal. (A lot of Hi-Fi Speakers tend to be engineered to just to sound nice, to mask bad recordings)

Bill

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your fine review, superaintit!

If I ever get the chance to hear a pair, I won't hesitate. Their merciless handling of lesser recordings could be quite a drawback though. Maybe if you can get a tube buffer in the circuit, to smoothe things out if necessary...

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
Thanks for your fine review, superaintit!

If I ever get the chance to hear a pair, I won't hesitate. Their merciless handling of lesser recordings could be quite a drawback though. Maybe if you can get a tube buffer in the circuit, to smoothe things out if necessary...

My pleasure.
Concerning the presentation: its very much presented 'as it is' which meant to me that real instruments sounded very real and synthesized sounds very much like that-artificial. I could hear the leading and trailing edges of notes so clearly it either enhanced the experience or made it obvious that it was not real. In short: if classical, real instruments and talented singers are what you like, give these speakers a try.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Superaintit said:
Kii audio three. Weird name. I listened to them this afternoon. Can't quite get them out of my head.

Steve_1979 did a review or something on them years ago. Aren't they £7K or something like that?

10k in euros, approximately 9k in pounds. For that you get a bespoke dac in each speaker, a dsp and six Ncore amplifiers. I agree its a lot of money but more like spending 3000 to 4000 on passive speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Some time ago there was a very interesting article about the Air studios, their workings and engineers etc.. Their Chief Recording Engineer said he understood very well why the majority of listeners probably don't want a studio monitor at home.

It's not just the speakers revealing nature but unless you have the benefit of a dedicated and isolated listening room most of us listen at far less than realistic volume. In my case fairly quiet ( by choice).

Try a flat measuring monitor at low volume and 'boring' will spring to mind. There used to be loudness contour controls for a reason.

In today's world of plain audiophile amps with no tone controls it is often beneficial and musically rewarding to seek a little lift at both frequency extremes, it's how our ears work best.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
abacus said:

Professional studio monitors strive to be neutral and accurate (There are plenty out there) and the speakers you mention, come from that stable. (They are just finished off to fit more harmoniously in a domestic environment)

Try the studio hi end ATC, Adam, Genlec, Yamaha etc. and you will find the neutral and accurate sound you heard is normal. (A lot of Hi-Fi Speakers tend to be engineered to just to sound nice, to mask bad recordings)

Bill

I heard pmc aml 1 studio monitors and think I understand what you mean. The kii threes have something about them that is 'different', though. Its hard to explain. Its like they have so few characteristics of their own it sounds like you 'look' directly at the recording.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Superaintit said:

Steve_1979 did a review or something on them years ago. Aren't they £7K or something like that?

Not me I'm afraid. I've never heard them but I did start a thread on them a year or so ago which is probably why you connected them with me. :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Looks pretty amazing, but given the price I guess it should be.

For those of you looking for an amazingly neutral, studio type sound I would recommend that you keep your eyes open for the newly released Genelec 8340A monitor. It can interface with Genelec software to provide, among other things, full speaker/room optimisation, largely negating room effects without the need for elabprate room treatment.

Even more remarkably, this entire speaker package, including software, hardware interface, measurement mic and cables can be had for around £2.5k..!

For those on a tight budget, the smaller 8330A APM package offers the same flexibility in a smaller package for around £1200-1300.

M

Mammy Nun

To the OP.......

Fuk of mate, your full of ****.

I sold the speakers you rave about, cause they were bass heavy, treble light, midrange short.......etc etc etc.....

U want neutral .......Seek out ZINGALI.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I think you have a point. Genelec has a bigger market than an obscure speaker manufacturer like Kii. Thus prices can be lower. Should be interesting to have a demo. Next time I have a day all to myself I will try and demo this Genelec .

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Mammy Nun said:
To the OP.......

I sold the speakers you rave about, cause they were bass heavy, treble light, midrange short.......etc etc etc.....

Why, thank you very much. I wish you the same.
I doubt you search neutral; extreme would be better suited to your nature. You have been reported.

M

Mammy Nun

Are you some sort of fumin Shill....?

Folk dont agree with you....You run to admin and try and ban em...!!!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Mammy Nun said:
To the OP.......

If this is what NVA (or its forum) does to you, I will stay far away from the brand... Or did I take you for someone else?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Mammy Nun said:
To the OP.......

If this is what NVA (or its forum) does to you, I will stay far away from the brand... Or did I take you for someone else?

Best to ignore completely, it will soon get bored.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Mammy Nun said:
To the OP.......

What's up? Are you bored? Has your mum put net nanny on your computer so you can't sit in your room wanking all night long?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
DocG said:
Mammy Nun said:
To the OP.......

Best to ignore completely, it will soon get bored.

Lol most of them went back from where they came but one stayed behind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts