The importance of THD and SNR

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As you guys and girls may have read before I am looking for a new amplifier.

Two of the receivers I'm considering are the Rotel 1560 and the Yamaha Z7. Now I have just noticed that the THD and SNR of those two differ greatly.

Now I'm wondering if this is important and whether it should influence my choice.

The 1560:

THD (20-20,000Hz) 8 ohms, all channels driven
<0.9%

S/N Ratio
45 dB

The Z7:

bola.gif

Total Harmonic Distortion: 0,02 %

bola.gif

SNR (CD): 100 dB

I find the difference shockingly big, any info on this? Or is it just Yamaha being way to optimistic?

Thanks.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Most 'specs' given by the manufacturers can be taken with a pinch of salt. Id read reviews and try them out rather than going off specs.

A

Anonymous

It's not really my place to comment on other manufacturer's specs but you did pique my interest ref the Rotel. I think I can clarify - the signal to noise ratio is for the video section and not the audio section, which is not quoted in the on-line spec. The THD looks high though not untypical for a class D design at 20kHz, but this is at odds with the distortion quoted elsewhere in the spec which is listed as <0.05%. The PDF of the on line manual gives the SNR as 92-95dB which is very respectable.

In any case, as another poster says, you really need to to try and listen for yourself as as the specs won't tell you much about the detailed sonic differences between the two products. Of course you might like to try an AVR600 too if you get the opportunity - you might prefer it
emotion-5.gif

Hope this helps.

John Dawson (Arcam)

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I might audition the Arcam. It's quite a bit more expensive though. I'll try and find a dealer in my area.

I've had two Yamaha's in a row and was planning on getting antother but to be honest it sounds a bit too polite compared to the Rotel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts