Faulty amp or something else? please help..

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi - Tonight i just set up new kit for the first time - Marantz PM6005 + Rega RP1 both brand new. Nothing complex, just plug and play.

I haven't got speakers yet, but was keen to listen.

It only has a 6.35mm headphone output so i bought a cheap 6.32 > 3.5mm converter, and used it to connect B&W P3 headphones (about 2 years old), never been plugged into anything more powerful than an ipod with a FiiO E5 amp, and never had any issues.

The sound was awful. Distorted on just about every range. Even at reasonably low volumes.

I've copied specifications from relevant manufacturer sites below, Im pretty new to this so can't see any compatibility issues.

One additional thing - i cranked the sound up quite a bit and the marantz shut itself off for a few seconds. There was no discernable difference in sound quality before or after. Found that strange as well.

I'm hoping it's just too much output for the headphones, or even better the cheap headphone adaptor, but I'm fearing a faulty amp. Can anyone help?

Many thanks..

P3 specs

Impedance
34 ohms Frequency range
10Hz to 20kHz Distortion (THD)
1mW <1% for 20Hz-20KHz <0.1% for 1KHz Max. input power
50mW Sensitivity
111dB/V at 1kHz

Marantz spec:

Power Output (8 / 4 Ohm RMS): 45 W / 60 W

Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 70 kHz

Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.05 %

Damping Factor: 100

Input Sensitivity: MM: " 2.2 mV / 47 kOhm

Signal to Noise Ratio: MM / MC: 83 dB / -

Input Sensitivity: High level: 200 mV / 20 kOhm

Signal to Noise Ratio: High level: 102 dB (2V input)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Check the set-up of your turntable. If that's your primary source make sure the stylus is set correctly.

If you ate using any other source make sure it is not plugged into the phono input on the amp.

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Thompsonuxb

I only had the phono in, nothing else. Have just played the turntable through my tv surround system and the clarity was fine, but low volume (needs a pre-amp). Will look for another source to plug into the amp and see if I cn narrow down further.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts