The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (Online Sales)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SteveR750

Helmut80 said:
SteveR750 said:
amcluesent said:
:shame: I'm not a business seller, so DSR in BINs doesn't apply.

But I have been hit with the 'partial refund' scam after item received by buyer who 'found' a scratch on the top of CD player.

thus its better for both seller and buyer to enter a sold as seen literally sale outside of Ebay. So we are sadly back to square one because they Ebay are so damn greedy, and because a few silly people get taken for a ride, and the media makes a story out if it, so Ebay has to tighten stuff up.

But this is in effect what's increasingly been happening, mostly due to ebay becoming more greedy. Have you noticed how many things are withdrawn after a while? I reckon people use ebay to advertise and then take it to email.

Heavens above, surely not.

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Wanted to buy a Humax hdrT2 500gb pvr either from Amazon, £245 with free next day delivery, or £245 from Richer Sounds delivered within 5 working days, alternatively I could visit their nearest store, 25 miles away, and buy one for £250. As an ex-shopkeeper and with the slightly greater convenience of returning it if there were any problems I decided to make a day of it, visit friends, have lunch and go to the store. Unfortunately, the only one they had in stock was an “open box”, which the salesman offered to me for £240, claiming it had “probably been returned after a couple of days by someone upgrading to a 1tb version”. Seemed a bit unlikely to me, but who knows, maybe he was right. Even so, for all I knew they might have dropped it or corrupted the hdd or spilt tea in the fan. Either way I’d expect at least 10% off an open box (or as we used to call them “secondhand”) item and more realistically 15%, because even if I only lived twenty minutes away it’s still going to be a right faff returning it and as I actually live 25 miles distant the discount he was offering wouldn’t even cover the cost of petrol and car parking.

Anyway, I obviously declined and drove home and ordered it from Amazon. It was delivered the following morning by DPD and I got an email at 9am telling me roughly when it would arrive. It couldn’t have been simpler, so I won’t be using RS again even though I’ve bought most of my hifi from them before, especially as when I did have to return a cd player I had to make two 60 mile round trips to drop it off and pick it up and was not even offered a replacement whilst it was being repaired.

I’ve got to be honest, even as an ex-retailer, shops really do need to up their game if they want to stay in business, because most of them can’t just rely on providing great service for high end items.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts