The dreaded green blobs on my 50gt30

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Yes thanks Oldboy, i now have the LG55LM760T, only put it up last night, nice looking tv but it looks like it's going back, on dark pictures it has white lights all round the screen, i am not happy, also the move from plasma to LED takes some getting used to. Thanks MrW, i would have gone for the GT50 but Richer Sounds don't sell it, and they only offered me a replacement tv from them.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
That's good news that Richers called you as promised and that you got another tv but that sounds like the dreaded backlight bleed/clouding to me...a known issue with LED tvs but some tvs don't seem to suffer such as my 46HX853 although it is visible on the menus but on a calibrated picture when watching tv or movies there is absolutely no sign of it with uniform deep blacks across the screen.

I hate to say it but you should have got a Sony HX853 in whatever screen size you could from Richers, what is your next move then? Will you just exchange the LG55LM760T for another or get something else? I really hope you get a tv you are happy with soon no matter what you decide to do.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Does the ST50 lack something you want in the GT50?

Only curious, that's all.

Edit: ...."and they only offered me a replacement tv from them"

Do you mean they only offered you an LG replacement?

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
The guys at Richer Sounds told me they would have the LG over the SONY, as to were i go now i'm not sure, i will ring them today.

I just thought the ST50 was a step back from the GT50 Sizzers.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
beater said:
The guys at Richer Sounds told me they would have the LG over the SONY, as to were i go now i'm not sure, i will ring them today.

I just thought the ST50 was a step back from the GT50 Sizzers.

On this occasion the guys at Richers were talking complete and utter rubbish, personally i've never bought a tv simply because the place i bought it from said it was the bees knees as i like to do my own research and narrow down the choice of sets from reviews and tests of the models available before i walk into a shop to consider a purchase. It's a big enough minefield out there as it is without getting distracted by a salesmans opinion however well intentioned it may be, i would never have chosen the LG over the Sony as my parents have had nothing but problems with the backlight on their LG LED tv since they bought it.

As for the ST50 i think you should seriously consider it...ok it doesn't have some of the extra bells and whistles of the GT50 and isn't a 3D tv but from all i have read it does seem like a really good tv that's sensibly priced for a large screen tv, it still has a really good panel fitted to the tv and it's alot of tv real estate for the money. It might not look as stylish as the GT and VT50 models but performance wise it's gathered impressive reviews and if anything seems the best value per pound plasma you can buy this year, the features that you lose are more than made up for in the screen size you get for the amount of money you pay. I was tempted myself but as i do alot of gaming i went the LED route in the end after having issues when gaming with my last 2 Panny plasmas, if i wasn't a gamer i would have bought one though for sure.

I hope you have a constructive conversation with Richers today and as ever keep us updated with your progress.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Called Richer Sounds customer service today, and i am taking back my LG tomorrow and picking up a Panasonic 50vt50, thanks again for all your advice Oldboy, i just hope this will be an end to all my tv problems.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Picked up my VT50 yesterday and all i can say is WOW!, put it up on the wall last night, looks stunning when off and even better when on, fingers crossed to trouble free tv problems from now on.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Oldboy said:
As for the ST50 i think you should seriously consider it...ok it doesn't have some of the extra bells and whistles of the GT50 and isn't a 3D tv but from all i have read it does seem like a really good tv that's sensibly priced for a large screen tv, it still has a really good panel fitted to the tv and it's alot of tv real estate for the money. It might not look as stylish as the GT and VT50 models but performance wise it's gathered impressive reviews and if anything seems the best value per pound plasma you can buy this year, the features that you lose are more than made up for in the screen size you get for the amount of money you pay. I was tempted myself but as i do alot of gaming i went the LED route in the end after having issues when gaming with my last 2 Panny plasmas, if i wasn't a gamer i would have bought one though for sure.

Just to clarify, the ST50 IS a 3D TV.

A friend bought a 50ST50 yesterday, I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yep guilty as charged! I knew my mistake after posting it...i even auditioned the tv in 3D so no excuse just a mistake, DOH :oops: and was too late to edit the comment, still think that the ST series is the best plasma bargain this year though.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
beater said:
Picked up my VT50 yesterday and all i can say is WOW!, put it up on the wall last night, looks stunning when off and even better when on, fingers crossed to trouble free tv problems from now on.

Nice one beater i hope you are happy with the tv for years to come, enjoy the tv and happy viewing...glad you got there in the end :grin:

D

Deleted member 2457

beater said:

[/quot

Ah nice one, congrats! Show us some pictures then.
smiley-smile.gif

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Watching the England game last night my new tv seems to have vertical banding across the right side of the screen, it is more noticeable on the low contrast i am using at the moment but can still be seen on normal settings, i have phoned Richer Sounds customer service who phoned Panasonic and they said it will go in time, i'm not so sure. Can anyone give me any advice on my next steps, i am gutted as i really like this tv.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to hear that beater...seems you aren't having much luck with tvs at the mo.

I have never heard of any tv that suffers with banding miraculously clearing up given time that's for sure, infact every instance i have known of on these very forums the tv has been returned for a replacement or refund. To my mind it's a fault and should be treated as such and therefore i would return the tv for a replacement, it's only a few days old so you are within your rights to reject it.

No clear time frame was given to you on how long it may take to clear up so return it for a replacement, it's the only logical thing to do...your eye will be constantly drawn to it now and if it (as i suspect) fails to clear up in time then you have lost your right to reject it and it will be treated as a repair.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Picked up my 2nd vt50 on saturday same problem banding on the screen, this time it's in the centre of the screen, i have phoned Richer Sounds and they said to give it 100 hours or so and see if it improves, if not i will get another one, what i will say is every one at Richer Sounds has been EXCELLENT up to now.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Again?? You must be gutted and frustrated, as I've said before I seriously doubt it will go away with any amount of run in period but I guess it's at least worth a try so I would leave the tv on as much as possible and clock up that 100 hours asap so you can get a replacement if the banding fails to disappear.

It's very strange as there has been very little mention of this issue with the VT50 that I can find, keep us updated with your progress and I hope that it clears after the run in period on this tv...fingers crossed.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
beater said:
Just to let you no Oldboy, the banding on my 50VT50 did'nt improve so i took it back and swaped it for the 55VT50, and it all looks good so far.
smile.png

I didn't think it would...poor advice given there, banding normally indicates a problem with the screen that is permanent and won't just go away after use so I'm not surprised to learn that's exactly what happened with you. Great news about the new tv though beater, you must be really upset that you had to get a bigger tv eh ;) I'm sure you won't get any more issues and must confess to being a little jealous of your tv real estate as it must be lovely to have a screen that big, I wish you happy viewing for years to come, enjoy the tv :)

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Oldboy, i must say it's a nice looking tv on and off, only running on low contrast at the moment but picture still looks amazing, i'm hoping the next time i go to Richer Sounds is to buy a new piece of kit, and not about my tv.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts