The dreaded green blobs on my 50gt30

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
I have just noticed that my gt30 has a green band down the centre of the screen, witch you can see mainly on white backgrounds, also when i run the scrolling bar, i can see two or three dark bands down the sreen, these are also noticeable on normal veiwing at times, i have called richer sounds who are sending out an engineer, lets hope he can see what i see.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Don't worry i had this issue with my 42GT30 before it developed yet another fault and it was easily solved by the engineer who arrived with 2 SD cards and performed an update to the tv, it took about 15 minutes and completely solved the issue with the minimum of fuss.

Some people have stated that this hasn't solved their issue but for me it completely cleared it up so hopefully the same will be true for you, the good news is that it's a known issue that Panasonic are aware of so you shouldn' t have any issues getting it resolved. Richers are a good retailer so you shouldn't have any issues getting the issue repaired quickly.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Had the engineer come out today, and he said the tv needs a new panel dew to ir and green tinge problems, also new fans dew to the noise, just got to remove it from wall and box it up, ready for saturday collection.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
beater said:
Had the engineer come out today, and he said the tv needs a new panel dew to ir and green tinge problems, also new fans dew to the noise, just got to remove it from wall and box it up, ready for saturday collection.

That's fair enough but i will warn you now that a new panel will NOT solve the green blob issue, the tv needs a new software update to solve this particular issue according to what i was told by Panasonic UK. The tv will be fine when it comes back with a new panel but the green blob issue may well rear it's ugly head again in the future, thought it was worth giving you a heads up.

I'm surprised you have IR bad enough to warrant a new panel as mine never suffered that badly, just the occasional instance that was easily cleared up. Sounds like you have had some extreme fan noise too which doesn't surprise me as my second GT30 had this issue, they were really loud and it annoyed the hell out of me, so much so that i returned it for a second exchange.

I just hope that when the tv comes back all the issues have been solved and you never know the engineers may even carry out the software update whilst it's in for repair...i would certainly ask if that's the case as prevention is better than cure, as the tv has already had the issue then the inherent fault within the tv needs addressing imo.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Got a call today saying my tv's at panasonic having a new panel fitted, should have it back early next week, fingers crossed this will be the end of the problems.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Got everything crossed for you beater that you see an end to all the issues, as it's at Panasonic you would hope any firmware updates were carried out at the same time but if a new panel is being fitted then it may not be needed. Keep us updated and i hope you get the tv back soon as this has gone on for long enough now eh.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
beater said:
Thanks oldboy, do you no if i will have to run the tv in again now it's having a new panel.

Yes unfortunately you will have to run the panel in i'm afraid as it's the screen that needs a run in due to the nature of plasma cells and how they operate. You will have to give it at least 200 hours again at reduced brightness and contrast settings but it's a small price to pay to see an end to your issues eh :)

Hope it goes well and that the new screen solves your issues.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
A quick update, phoned up the repair company yesterday, as they are doing the tv, not Panasonic as i was told, the new panel has been fitted but now another part needs replacing, losing my patience now.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
How long has this been going on now beater? It feels like an age since the tv was taken away and still it's not been repaired, i would be very angry by now, have you been given any indication of when to expect the tv back??

I feel for you, it can be a frustrating experience dealing with repair companies as i know oh to well |(

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
The tv was picked up 3 weeks ago now, and yes i am getting less and less patient as time goes on, i spoke to richersounds last night and they are going to look into it for me, as it would have been cheaper now to have just given me a new set.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
GSB said:
put your complaints into richers head office as oldboy did,this situation is i feel unresonable.

I would second that thought and i can supply you with the email address of Mr John Clayton from Richer Sounds head office who dealt with my complaint if that would be of any help to you? It certainly made one hell of a difference to my case and it was amazing how quickly things started to happen after i got in contact with him, it was a fellow forum member that gave me the email address in the first place so hopefully going down the same route would give you a speedy resolution.

The repair does seem to be dragging on and on and i would find it unacceptable in your position and would be asking for a resolution within the next 7 days at the maximum as it would then be a month that you have been without the tv which is simply ridiculous.

I would also advise you to write to Mr Julian Richer the founder of Richer Sounds to express your concerns with the repair process as i did to make sure your concerns are heard at the highest level, he does indeed read all the correspondence sent to him and will reply personally. I got a very nice letter of apology back when i wrote to him about my issue and he addressed every point i put to him about my experience and i was sent £50 worth of gift vouchers for my troubles.

I really do beleive it's time to step up the pressure my friend so if you would like that email address i am more than happy to give it to you, just let me know.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your help Oldboy, i have now been told the SC board needs changing, spoke to Richer Sounds about how unhappy i am with all the faults on my tv, but don't no what else i can do, i will however write to Mr Julian Richer to voice my opinion's, and if my tv is not back by early next week i may ask you for Mr John Clayton's email address.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
You are more than welcome beater, i know just how frustrated you must be by now.

If it was me i would complain now and fire off an email to Mr Clayton beacuse i'm of the opinion that a repair that drags on into a month in length is simply unacceptable and i know from experience that Richers customer support team can be hit or miss with regards to how helpful they are.

Just let me know if you require the email address and i will post it for you, no problem, just hope it doesn't come to that and that you get some good news soon.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
No trouble at all beater, here it is: john.p.clayton@richersounds.com

My advice is to be firm but fair in how you word the email and try not to rant (not easy i know), you should get a quick response as i had a reply the next day so fingers crossed this gets the wheels turning quicker than they have up to now :pray:

Let me know how you get on and i wish you all the best, don't let them get away with poor customer service, they have a good reputation to uphold so get stuck in and still fire off a letter to Julian Richer as the more people that see you are unhappy the better in my experience.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the email address Oldboy, but got a call today from Richer Sounds who have now told me, due to the cost of the repair and the time i've waited they will do a like for like exchange, they will ring me on monday to discuss my options.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Cautiously i would say that's good news beater but exactly what they define as a like for like is what you need to know, a 50GT50 seems what they should be offering you in my eyes. But then again you might want to go for something different this time round, get an idea of what you would like before they call you on monday is my advice and use the price you paid for the GT30 as a guide.

Let me know what you end up going for and what Richers offer you as a replacement, hope it all works out for you on monday and i look forward to hearing how you get on :)

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Oldboy, i have been looking, Richer Sounds don't sell the GT50 and to be honest they don't have much else i would have, maybe only the Sony KDL-55hx853.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Interesting post...

Similar issues when my 46GT30 went away for 'repair' - i.e. no spare parts available, and in this instance John Lewis did the decent thing and offered me a 'deal' to 'upgrade' to the 50GT50

I haven't looked back to be honest, the GT50 is an amazing TV, and even to my eye shows a significant improvement over the GT30

The Sony 853 is a good bet, but if you're hankering after another Plasma, take your money and get down to John Lewis, I believe the price of the GT50 has just been reduced by £100, and there are 2 free pairs of 3d Glasses (albeit they are battery operated) via redemption

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts