The difficult point

matthewpiano

Nearing the end of my current run of hi-fi upgrades to the Pro-ject/NAD/Chord/QED/Cambridge system I have now, I've got to thinking about that difficult point, where you have assembled a well balanced budget system which shoots significantly above its price point. I am now in such a position and, although I have an upgrade to Clearaudio Emotion or the new Thorens in mind at some point, I think I would have to spend significant money to make any meaningful improvements to the system. I've had more expensive equipment in the past (Arcam CD73, A65+, and Quad 11L) which hasn't sounded as good and am wondering now whether I have reached the point where the law of diminishing returns starts to set in. Given that I like the NAD sound very much, what future upgrade options do I have, brand-wise? FWIW I'm certainly in no rush to change anything and am very happy now, but I'm always interested in what options I might have in the future to move things on without sacrificing the overall sound of the system. I'm thinking I'm going to have to wait until I can afford something like the Sugden A21a now.....

A

Anonymous

Okay, just for the sake of argument, why upgrade something you are happy with
emotion-1.gif

You can always throw parties with the spare money, and I am sure those who can, wouldn't like to miss a good party
emotion-5.gif

matthewpiano

[quote user="ranjeetrain"]Okay, just for the sake of argument, why upgrade something you are happy with
emotion-1.gif

You can always throw parties with the spare money, and I am sure those who can, wouldn't like to miss a good party
emotion-5.gif
[/quote]

I'm not in any rush to upgrade. I want to get my moneys worth out of this kit first and enjoy rediscovering my 2,000+ CDs and several hundred LPs as well as buying more black and silver discs. However, I'm always interested in making music at home more and more realistic and involving and I'm just interested in whether this is a familiar point for others as well. How much better does, for example, a £500 amp get over the NAD? Before now I've heard Audiolab 8000S, Marantz PM7001KI-Sig, Rotel RA-06, Arcam A70, and Naim Nait 5i and I'm not convinced that any of these would give me a massive upgrade over the NAD, apart from the Nait 5i. I'm just forced to ask myself how much more you'd need to spend to make worthwhile improvements.....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matthewpiano"]How much better does, for example, a £500 amp get over the NAD? Before now I've heard Audiolab 8000S, Marantz PM7001KI-Sig, Rotel RA-06, Arcam A70, and Naim Nait 5i and I'm not convinced that any of these would give me a massive upgrade over the NAD, apart from the Nait 5i. I'm just forced to ask myself how much more you'd need to spend to make worthwhile improvements.....[/quote]

After a certain point, more significant improvements in the sound come from, well, better speakers. That is one area, to be honest, that seems "you can never know all about". Specifically because music is so subjective.
That said, you may find speakers costing GBP 100 less and sounding better to your ears. It about trial-and-error. Unfortunately, in case of Amplifiers, its not that simple. Your won't notice difference in amps at £50 steps. Improvements in the quality (read control and authority) is noticeable when you invest "a lot more".
I'd jump to a Musical Fidelity or a Naim amp from your NAD. Other amps in +/- 200 bucks range would give you a "difference taste" rather than sending you in a different orbit.
Also, to feel bigger differences in the sound, make bigger changes to your system. Change speakers. Go bi-amping. Go pre-power. Go dual-mono. You know what I am talking about.

matthewpiano

I think you are right and appreciate your input. I've done part of it this morning (day of - ie messing around time!). I had a pair of Mordaunt-Short Avant 902i speakers tucked away that I'd never taken to with previous equipment and thought I'd try them now I've got a good integrated amp. They sound fantastic. All the openess and musicality of the Cambridge Audios but with that low-end welly that the little S30s just can't muster. As for amps, as I said it is going to be some time, but I've always fancied an MF amp or a Sugden A21a so I think a savings account might get opened in the new year.

A

Anonymous

Just to retain my "Mortals" passport, I do listen to my old Aiwa 3-in-one sometimes and also my old Philips one-box system
emotion-1.gif
Helps me appreciate the value of more money put in newer speakers even more
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Probably I meant to say, helps me motivate myself for spending more and seek more...

nads

Mathew, I would continue playing with the speakers, then i would look at adding a power amp and use the current amp just as a pre amp, Ok if the new power amp is similar you could bi-amp, or after the power amp new pre amp and then add another power........

You have a nice flexible base to play from.

You have seen my set up? When i settled on it i was buying for the next 20 years (well that is what i told myself) I seriously do not think i will be changing the amps of the speakers.
Add to it yes replace it no. i am also a believer of, even if you are only listening at low levels, Power.

Have fun.

A

Anonymous

I am not surprised that your current system sounds better than the arcam/quad system.The A65+ would not have had the driving power to give the quads what they needed.Bass in the arcam 64+ is soft too.Was the sound soft and a bit mushy? Thats what i heard when i heard that combo.The cd player is a goodie though.i am slightly surprised you changed it as its a superior machine to your current nad.Was it not a good match for the nad amp?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Matt

I would wait a little while and save up a bit more for upgrade. The Marantz you mentioned is very good however if you after a better sound I suggest you try to go beyond £1000 (rrp) per unit. Many dealers do some ex-demo stocks at nealy half rrp price, (sevenorks have some cracking deal at the moment).
I would also explore outside what I would call "a comfort brit's zone" you know the usual Nad, Arcam and Marantz....I know they are great brands, superb products for the price, but if you are ready to jump up, there is a whole different world out there.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"]Mathew, I would continue playing with the speakers, then i would look at adding a power amp and use the current amp just as a pre amp, Ok if the new power amp is similar you could bi-amp, or after the power amp new pre amp and then add another power........

You have a nice flexible base to play from.

You have seen my set up? When i settled on it i was buying for the next 20 years (well that is what i told myself) I seriously do not think i will be changing the amps of the speakers.
Add to it yes replace it no. i am also a believer of, even if you are only listening at low levels, Power.

Have fun.[/quote]

NADS ...you know how you have the C372 integrated and C272 power amp, well have you ever tried the C162 pre-amp with the C272 power amp ?

nads

[quote user="biggus_1961"]

NADS ...you know how you have the C372 integrated and C272 power amp, well have you ever tried the C162 pre-amp with the C272 power amp ?[/quote]

in a word No. Well not quite true only in the show room. but they did not have it in the NAD green to buy there and then so i went for the 372 and the CDP there and then.

But i would say there is Very little in it iirc. i did run the 372 as a pre amp with the 272 while waiting to get the new speakers as there was about a year between purchase dates of the two amps.

Put it may still be something i may do....or maybe a different Pre amp lets see but will not be for quite some time.

TRENDING THREADS