The difference between hype and reality

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
The_Lhc said:
DougK said:
keeper of the quays said:
Is that all distilled water is? Cooled boiled water?

Nope, it most certainly is not! Cooled boiled water still contains far too many impurities. Distilled water is condensed steam.

Exactly, you have to boil the water off, collect the steam in another container, recondense it and then you have distilled water, which has left the impurities behind. Boiled tap water will probably contain a higher concentration of impurities than unboiled tap water.

It's good to be back on track. For one minute there I thought I had mistakenly logged in to the WhatCar forum. ;-)

P.S.: Triumph 2.5 PI and Vitesse rule!

Damn, damn I wasn't going to mention that.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
P.S.: Triumph 2.5 PI and Vitesse rule!

Damn, damn I wasn't going to mention that.

Shortly after I got married in the late 90s (but before we got our own place) the manager of the garage that serviced my dad's Peugeot 505GTi offered me a Triumph 2500 estate for nothing. He just wanted shot of it and couldn't find any takers because the engine needed 'work' having overheated (that was the fullness of the description...no more info was given). It remains one of my deepest regrets that I didn't snatch his hand off, but I had nowhere to store it.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Jim_W said:
...but I've never driven a car. This thread has informed me of what I've been missing for all of these years. Cheers.

And I have never owned a LP12, and well aware of what I not missing.

A good analogy, Al...the LP 12 is an idiosyncratic beast and, despite the endless upgrade path, could hardly be considered modern, retaining, as it does, the old apple crate design. High-maintenance too. Metaphorically, I leave mine in the garage, give it a polish every now and again and occasionally take it out for a spin; it's a comfortable ride, if you sort the suspension out...every year or so. Like classic cars, they have their devotees; I'm kind of on the fence with a splintered arse. It was my first real turntable and therefore my opinion is somewhat coloured by nostalgia...speaking of colouration, check the mid-range power-banding. Difficult to get it in neutral too. Ah, the good old days eh?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts