The difference between hype and reality

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Jim_W said:
I've spent years trying to work out how to fit a record player, amp and speakers to a succession of motorbikes, but, alas, I have made very little progress; probably do it on a Goldwing though whilst you have your hair cut. Ooooo a bit of bikers' banter.

I've heard a Goldring cartridge works best on a Goldwing.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
I have a tape player in my vehicle

No photo = it didn't happen :) Here's my proof. Well, of one of them at least. Mrs Fubar is out in the daily driver so I can't take a photo:

Screen_Shot_2016_05_10_at_19_33_12.png

K

keeper of the quays

I played my Jacque loussier plays Bach 93 tape through my hifi..It was recorded in 1993 and I must admit, it's very close to cd quality!

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
I use one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZujoJaR2ERY&t=1m0s

And to think when car CD players came out I wondered how they'd manage to stop the laser skipping, but how did they stop that needle skipping???

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
I have a tape player in my vehicle

No photo = it didn't happen :) Here's my proof. Well, of one of them at least. Mrs Fubar is out in the daily driver so I can't take a photo:

Volvo or Austin Montego?

K

keeper of the quays

knaithrover said:
My Wife's brand new car doesn't even have a cd player just usb aux bluetooth and dab radio.....
Sign of the times!

knaithrover said:
Al ears said:
knaithrover said:
My Wife's brand new car doesn't even have a cd player just usb aux bluetooth and dab radio.....
Sign of the times!

I wonder if indicators are optional extras to like they appear to be on BMW's

I have a BMW, I wondered what that stick was for on the steering column....

That's the wipers. ;-)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
If you believe the advertising of the day the MG Maestro Turbo was supposed to be quicker 0-60 than a Porsche 911.

They chose their words carefully. "Faster than a Porsche, a Ferrari, a Laborghini and an Aston...", said the advert. But you had to read the small print to see which ones. For example the Ferrari in question was a 'poverty spec' Ferrari Modial, which was indeed slower in a straight line than an MG Maestro Turbo. The Porsche was the 944, which in non-turbo trim was also quite a bit slower. The Aston was the Lagonda, which it also could comfortably see off. The Lambo was the Jalpa.

ColinLovesMusic

May 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm on the vinyl again. From a practical stance it doesn't make sense but I grew up with it so pleased to hear those words 'vinyl revival'. It is bulky and the turntable needs treating carefully but for me it is my 'boy toy' .. The arm the cartridge, the stylus, setting up and the mechanical aspect of it. Don't know why watching a record going round and round on the platter with the arm gradually moving across gives me as much pleasure as listening but it does (maybe a case of simple things pleasing simple minds) And to the likely horror of an average audiophile I use a DJ deck with arm with removable headshell. The arm into which I use an Ortofon Concorde ProS cartridge which dispenses with the headshell and plugs straight in and looks fab. Sounds damn good too. I had a Michel syncro for 15 years but got fed up with the bouncy platter and the whole thing supported on three points which meant the whole turntable tip everytime I dusted the lid. I sold it on ebay for more than I paid for it and I was glad to be rid. And then I got a DJ turntable. Biggest problem with vinyl is storage for me. But I do love getting a new LP through the post and opening it up. A digital download doesnt give me that pleasure even though downloading is my usual way of doing things now and the quality is there, just not the fun.

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
The_Lhc said:
If you believe the advertising of the day the MG Maestro Turbo was supposed to be quicker 0-60 than a Porsche 911.

They chose their words carefully. "Faster than a Porsche, a Ferrari, a Laborghini and an Aston...", said the advert.  But you had to read the small print to see which ones. For example the Ferrari in question was a 'poverty spec' Ferrari Modial, which was indeed slower in a straight line than an MG Maestro Turbo. The Porsche was the 944, which in non-turbo trim was also quite a bit slower. The Aston was the Lagonda, which it also could comfortably see off. The Lambo was the Jalpa.
I had a 1.6 Montego which was a great car! It had done 200,000 miles before I bought it! Lol..(it had been clocked! I hadn't realised until I took out original radio and noticed radio had been serviced and label and mileage on back of radio!)I then had a Montego estate which was 2.0 diesel estate another great car terrible body work but great engine! People used to knock British Leyland? Good cars mostly..i had a princess 1.7 hl I loved that car! Got it cheap been in a smash up,over 55mph it shook like a jelly! I was a young man then.. The car felt like a limousine..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts