The Curse of Static!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys!

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some advice about getting rid of static build up!

Noticing it more on brand new LPs actually, in fact a Radiohead album had so much that the TT mat clung to it when I lifted it off the platter!

I tried to get rid of some of it by using my carbon fibre brush and earthing myself through the TT spindle, which seem to get rid of a lot, but the record is still obviously charged as the mat was still sticking.

Just bought myself 50 anti-static sleeves, but I probably should invest in an Disco AntiStat, which I guess will discharge the records in the process of wet cleaning?

Cheers for the help!

Chris.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have foud that a Milty Zerostat does the trick very well, you can watch a demo on youtube which demonstrates tjis very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvr7uNZ_WaE

david230

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I have noticed the same thing with new vinyls, card shavings and static on brand new vinyl.

I've just ordered a disco anti-stat cleaner and some goldring anti-stat sleeves. I really dont like the card inner sleeves on some records so they will be the first to swap over. Some people do like to preserve/look after their collection aswell as play them..

I'll let you know how I get on seeing as I am in the same boat.

Sospri said:
I have foud that a Milty Zerostat does the trick very well, you can watch a demo on youtube which demonstrates tjis very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvr7uNZ_WaE

+1 for the Zerostat + some new anti-static sleeves. I tend to wet clean only when necessary.

PS If you have radiotors you could try standing the LPs on these for a while (whilst the radiator is turned off naturally).

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys!

I think I'll purchase the Disco Antistat in the next few weeks and see if that solves the problem. Good to know I'm alone in this one though!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This thread started me on a mission, I used to use an antistatic device 'back in the good old days' . . . why not now, the cracks and pops are really bad on some of my records. FleaBay was first port of call, won a Zerostat for £20 inc. The doorbell went at 8 o'clock this morning :roll: retired, not out of bed yet, postie wanting a sig., Zerostat arrived.

I . . . ? that should be 'we', cant keep Hazel out of the hifi loop these days. We have spent the past couple of hours listening to records . . . thats a bit early . . . but I could not wait:bounce:

First record, as always, Famous Blue Raincoat, listen first, pops and cracks a bit but not bad, give it a zap, :? yes, ok but??? Improvements were there, but how to describe them? the word 'tangible' comes to mind. OK . . . so not earth shattering but a point or two in the right direction.

One of my biggest binds since I have been using the acrylic ISOmat has been the static it stores . . . logical, zap the ISOmat, then zap the record again . . . it was like turning the volume control up, seemed to pick up the pace of the music as well?

So I pulled out one of my favourite pipe organ records on the Proprius label, its old, 1975, it cracks and pops for England but I love it just the same. There are some beautiful piccolo pipes on the record, delicately played . . . Well, that word tangible comes up again, but the clarity and perception of pipe placement in the loft was nothing short of stunning!

400Zerostatrw.jpg

I have found the record needs 3 or 4 zaps one after the other with the Zerostat, but the biggest improvement came with the zapping of the platter mat, it seems that acrylic has a static problem?

Its now a matter of working out how often the record and the ISOmat need treatment?? In the meantime, I need to get to grips with the 'CJSF vinyl wet wash vacuum machine' . . . :?

CJSF

A

Anonymous

Hi!

Yes the mat I use is the original felt mat that came with the turn table. I mean a design like that - it's bound to pick up static!

Chris.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had some time to work with and think about what I am doing with the Zerostate . . . Sounds a bit pretentious considering its just a 'zap machine'? Yes, but as I have said before, 'it all goes to make up the whole'.

Hazel and I spent a lot of yesterday dipping in and out of our music . . . in between the normal things of life like meals and dog walking, even watching a fascinating program about mother nature’s recovery around the volcano that devastated the mountain of St Helens in 1980.

I have noted; tangible, volume, clarity, perception and image placement, we further became aware of the effect on delicate passages, there was extra fine detail and an airiness that still defies description, it has to be heard to be appreciated. These improvements were less obvious in bolder recording, but the word 'tangibility' is still a description that applies.

What one has become aware of, is the way the system as a whole has reacted to the new found freedom in the musical presentation. There is no feeling of 'need to upgrade', the light and delicate has gained a level of detail and presentation I would not have thought possible. Images have moved up back and stretched wider than I have heard. This is something I have not heard since the 80's on a systems that cost then, well in excess of £10,000!

We are talking delicacy here that is of a gossamer experience, at a volume that is equally delicate.

The clincher was Miserere, there is a couple of passages in the 12+ minutes of performance that is high and way back in the image. It is ethereal, angel like, performed on a balcony in the chapel, the balcony has always been high and right. I now know the balcony stretches full width with the singers placed along its length, high right is the female voice reaching top 'C'. The air and church ambiance dissolved the boundary walls as I have never heard my system do in such a convincing way before. The 80’s system used to use the whole of the back garden as a sound stage . . . that was what I was listening to last night . . . :O

OTT . . . ? . . . hearing is believing . . . I would not have believed it if I had not been here listening . . . as I say its the delicate passages that are mainly affected.

The fines of the system is remarkable, I would have expected to have at least been using a very fancy turntable/arm/cartridge combination, and a much better amplifier. Just shows what can be achieved . . . bear in mind, the system had to be setup right in the first place to achieve???

I said recently the ISOmat was the best £20 worth I had spent, I must now add to that, the £20 I paid for the Zerostat. I still have a few things to try. However, last night was a revelation, I zapped the records, ISOmat the cartridge and arm bearing, each had their affect . . . I think I had better pull the draw bridge up!! . . . I feel a 'Belt' moment coming on . . . :O

One is now considering the implications of the above . . . :?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
One has spent more time today listening to music and the affects the Zerostate makes. I have tried various options, the best results seem to come from putting the record on the platter, securing it with the Michell clamp and then zapping it 2 or 3 times whilst it is rotating. A slow depression of the trigger and equally slow release seems to work best, as recommended in the 'destructions'.

I have had some amazing results with my organ records this afternoon . . . music with warts and all. Pipe organs have much extraneous noises, they wheeze, puff, clonk, creak and bang as they present their majestic sound. It seems the more I tweak and fiddle the more of these peculiarities one hears, adding, for me, to the pleasure of a magnificent performance.

I was especially pleased today with the Audiophile recording from Wilson Audio. Treasured and enjoyed for many years, it has found a new lease of life, presenting a reality and musicality of pure joy. Even the 32 hz pipe on this recording was obvious, despite my limited low end response of my system.

The Wilson Audio recording and listening notes:

72OrganWilsonAudiorw.jpg

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts