Mould removal and best storage paper for vinyl

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Two subjects I need advice on so I thought I would make one post. Some of my vinyl has got mould spores on the actual grooves that don't seem to shift with a record claning solution and microfibre cloth and carbon fibre brush. As the rest of the vinyl is good and clean it will be worth trying to get rid of the horrible stuff. In fact, the same pattern of spores show on the paper sleeve so:

1) Would the Disco cleaner (on Amazon) do a good enough job of removal and general cleaning ?

2) Should I replace the paper sleeves, and what is reccomened ?

3) Are polythene sleeves ok for general album cover protection ?

The room now has a dehumidifier which keeps the damp away as it's an old house.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

K

keeper of the quays

marb67 said:
Two subjects I need advice on so I thought I would make one post. Some of my vinyl has got mould spores on the actual grooves that don't seem to shift with a record claning solution and microfibre cloth and carbon fibre brush. As the rest of the vinyl is good and clean it will be worth trying to get rid of the horrible stuff. In fact, the same pattern of spores show on the paper sleeve so:

1) Would the Disco cleaner (on Amazon) do a good enough job of removal and general cleaning ?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
You could try mould Remover spray? It's bleach based! Everyone will now recoil in horror at the thought!! But vinyl is tough stuff..As long as you don't use anything abrasive to Remove cleaner..i can't see a problem!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
marb67 said:

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Damp canbe a problem but I think if they are stored away they should be ok, mine were stored in the loft for years, in record cases which may have helped, and there are fine, mostly in poly-lined or paper sleeves and its cold and damp up there in winter and baking hot in summer. In a room they should be ok. Any with mold I would get rid of the sleeve and replace with new after cleaning. On one forum, one guy used white vinegar with distilled water 50/50% with some record cleaner added 10% I think. Some people use alcohol based cleaners, I think they could be effective on mold but may damage the vinyl, best to use diluted with distilled water, which you have for free. Sorry neeeded used the Disco Cleaner. Have a look at this site: http://cleaningvinyllps.blogspot.co.uk/

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
It can be removed from film negatives and slides by freezing them below zero. I wonder if that would work with records.
Good idea..that would kill the mould..dead spores still need Removal..my eraser Sponge method would be ideal.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
marb67 said:
Some of my vinyl has got mould spores on the actual grooves that don't seem to shift with a record claning solution and microfibre cloth and carbon fibre brush.

Hi there. Sorry to hear this, what a pain.

marb67 said:

Assuming you mean the Knosti Disco-Antistat: Yes, it does. I've successfully cleaned LPs from mildew on the playing surface. Don't use the solution supplied: there are various home-made solutions discussed on this thread. I use distilled water with a teaspoon of white vinegar and a three drops of dishwasher rinse-aid. (I wouldn't use 50/50 water/vinegar, as suggested above, as the acid could etch the vinyl over time, and I certainly woudn't use a bleach-based solution as also suggested. This from the person who repeatedly advises other people to use washing-up sponges to clean records...)

And if you're cleaning mould from the records, do a first wash using tapwater (filtered, if possible) instead of distilled water in the solution. Throw this away after each mouldy record, to avoid transferring mould from one to another, and to avoid any nasty particles scratching later LPs, and run the brushes and basin under the tap to flush the machine out. Then do a second wash using distilled water, when your LPs should be pretty clean already. It's a bit of extra work, but you can rest assured your LPs should be free from mould for the future.

marb67 said:

If you're going to the trouble of cleaning your discs, it would be worth putting them in to new, clean inners, yes. A bit pointless cleaning them and putting them back in to dusty or mouldy sleeves! Anti-static sleeves are best. Some people swear by those made by Nagaoka, but I use paper sleeves lined with thin polyethelene. There's a company called Covers33 which sells them online, or there are various sellers on eBay. If you buy in bulk you can get them fairly cheaply.

marb67 said:

Again, assuming you mean outer sleeves for the whole LP package, artwork and all, then yes. Unless you're going to be chucking them around the room, or something! These are generally sold in two grades: 250g and 400g. I opt for the heavier as they are nicer to work with and offer a little bit more protection. I dislike PVC sleeves, even those are more heavy-duty, as they are stiff, have sharp edges and do tend to go brittle over the years. Unless you run a record shop and will be re-using the sleeves many times, poly sleeves are fine.

If your record outer sleeves also have mildew on them, I'd try to wipe this off with a very slightly damp cloth (you can use a wetter cloth, with the solution you made up for the Knosti, for better cleaning power if the sleeves are laminated). Then there won't be mould in the package ready to grow again.

Hope that's of some use.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

As thescarletpronster, but with 90% deionised water, 10% isopropanol, and a small amount of ilfotol (wetting agent).

His idea of cleaning first with a different liquid is good, but personally, I'd never use tap water, as it nearly destroyed some of my records years ago. Halfords sell battery top up water, which is deionised water, and you can get 5 litres for £3.50.

Any inner sleeves with mould should be thrown, unless they're printed inner sleeves, then see if you can clean them very carefully with an e cloth of some description.

K

keeper of the quays

thescarletpronster said:
marb67 said:
Some of my vinyl has got mould spores on the actual grooves that don't seem to shift with a record claning solution and microfibre cloth and carbon fibre brush.

Hi there. Sorry to hear this, what a pain.

marb67 said:

Assuming you mean the Knosti Disco-Antistat: Yes, it does. I've successfully cleaned LPs from mildew on the playing surface. Don't use the solution supplied: there are various home-made solutions discussed on this thread. I use distilled water with a teaspoon of white vinegar and a three drops of dishwasher rinse-aid. (I wouldn't use 50/50 water/vinegar, as suggested above, as the acid could etch the vinyl over time, and I certainly woudn't use a bleach-based solution as also suggested. This from the person who repeatedly advises other people to use washing-up sponges to clean records...)

And if you're cleaning mould from the records, do a first wash using tapwater (filtered, if possible) instead of distilled water in the solution. Throw this away after each mouldy record, to avoid transferring mould from one to another, and to avoid any nasty particles scratching later LPs, and run the brushes and basin under the tap to flush the machine out. Then do a second wash using distilled water, when your LPs should be pretty clean already. It's a bit of extra work, but you can rest assured your LPs should be free from mould for the future.

marb67 said:

If you're going to the trouble of cleaning your discs, it would be worth putting them in to new, clean inners, yes. A bit pointless cleaning them and putting them back in to dusty or mouldy sleeves! Anti-static sleeves are best. Some people swear by those made by Nagaoka, but I use paper sleeves lined with thin polyethelene. There's a company called Covers33 which sells them online, or there are various sellers on eBay. If you buy in bulk you can get them fairly cheaply.

marb67 said:

Again, assuming you mean outer sleeves for the whole LP package, artwork and all, then yes. Unless you're going to be chucking them around the room, or something! These are generally sold in two grades: 250g and 400g. I opt for the heavier as they are nicer to work with and offer a little bit more protection. I dislike PVC sleeves, even those are more heavy-duty, as they are stiff, have sharp edges and do tend to go brittle over the years. Unless you run a record shop and will be re-using the sleeves many times, poly sleeves are fine.

If your record outer sleeves also have mildew on them, I'd try to wipe this off with a very slightly damp cloth (you can use a wetter cloth, with the solution you made up for the Knosti, for better cleaning power if the sleeves are laminated). Then there won't be mould in the package ready to grow again.

Hope that's of some use.
this place is like Google..ask a question and choose from a million answers by so called experts..i have never damaged a record by my method of cleaning...ill say it again..vinyl is tough as old boots..as long as the cloths/ sponges are not abrasive it will be fine..acid eats into vinyl over time? Lol. What crap! Buy a cheap lp from charity shop..try mould cleaner..try eraser sponge method..see if I'm not 100% right as usual.. :)

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
it certainly does help. Thank you for taking the trouble to give a lot of usefull info. I will look into the Disco cleaner but not sure which to get as they now have 2 versions, one £20 dearer with better fluid. Perhaps wasted paying the extra if I am going to not use it and make my own up.

D

Deleted member 108165

marb67 said:
it certainly does help. Thank you for taking the trouble to give a lot of usefull info. I will look into the Disco cleaner but not sure which to get as they now have 2 versions, one £20 dearer with better fluid. Perhaps wasted paying the extra if I am going to not use it and make my own up.

I wrote a lengthy reply to one of your previous posts regarding this machine; suggest you read it again.

The later version of the Knosti, the Generation 2, has a handle on the hub spindle and rubber seals on the hub to protect the label. The original Knosti does not have these. The improved fluid is okay but I have had better results using the home-brew solution.

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
marb67 said:

I wrote a lengthy reply to one of your previous posts regarding this machine; suggest you read it again.

The later version of the Knosti, the Generation 2, has a handle on the hub spindle and rubber seals on the hub to protect the label. The original Knosti does not have these. The improved fluid is okay but I have had better results using the home-brew solution.

Sorry about that, I had totaly forgot. Will have another read.

Cheers.

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Just to clarify ( no pun ntended) would I be ok using distilled water from my mini dehumidifier ?

And the magic sponge, anyone with the best method ? Thanks.

K

keeper of the quays

marb67 said:
Just to clarify ( no pun ntended) would I be ok using distilled water from my mini dehumidifier ?

poweforce sponge eraser from poundstretcher etc soak sponge in distilled water till wet (not dripping wet) run it over LP so covered in water! Leave a minute or so..use second dry sponge to suck up residual water on lp..then use good quality tissue paper folded..go over lp to dry it! Job done! Now all the purists who have never tried this will jump up and down! Lol...but try it? See if I'm wrong? Ps I collect vinyl and my arm on turntable costs more than a lot of the purist's whole turntable! Lol...so if I'm ok with it? Should signify something? Either I'm a dope or they are! :)

keeper of the quays said:
marb67 said:

poweforce sponge eraser from poundstretcher etc soak sponge in distilled water till wet (not dripping wet) run it over LP so covered in water! Leave a minute or so..use second dry sponge to suck up residual water on lp..then use good quality tissue paper folded..go over lp to dry it! Job done! Now all the purists who have never tried this will jump up and down! Lol...but try it? See if I'm wrong? Ps I collect vinyl and my arm on turntable costs more than a lot of the purist's whole turntable! Lol...so if I'm ok with it? Should signify something? Either I'm a dope or they are! :)

Although I have not tried it you should bear in mind vinyl is a lot tougher than people give it credit. I see no harm in trying this method.

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
marb67 said:

Well thanks very much because that did a fantastic job as all mould removed. I used distilled from the deumidifier filtered as still saw particles in it. Then a drop of white wine vinegar and bob's your uncle. Well, he is my wife's uncle actually. What a cheap and effective way of cleaning. Looking forward to getting stuck into my really dirty albums now.

cheers matey.

K

keeper of the quays

marb67 said:
marb67 said:

Well thanks very much because that did a fantastic job as all mould removed.  I used distilled from the deumidifier filtered as still saw particles in it. Then a drop of white wine vinegar and bob's your uncle. Well, he is my wife's uncle actually. What a cheap and effective way of cleaning. Looking forward to getting stuck into my really dirty albums now.

cheers matey.
very good news and it's so cheap! But keep it under your hat? Because if the vinyl purist's get wind of this..they will gnash their teeth (false teeth? Gnash false teeth? Lol) and shout loudly!!! ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts