The choice - New Kef IQ5SE or 2nd hand Monitor Audio RS6??!

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
OK, I've narrowed the choice, for the same money, to either Brand new Kef IQ5SE or Monitor Audio Silver RS6 that have had about 1600 HOURS of use!!! Would the heavy usage on the RS6 rule them out, or would it just save me the job of wearing them in? Do speakers, assuming they're not continually hammered, go inddefinitely, or can you expect the sound to deteriorate at some point?

As far as centre speaker goes, I'm going to get the Monitor Audio RSLCR and use my current centre MS902C as a surround back.

Any final opinions would be most welcome!
emotion-2.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The M/A RS6's would win it for me every time

Brilliant speakers and IMO, a much better soundstage than the Kefs with better, deeper and more controlled bass and a smoother midrange.

1600 hours isnt alot of use at all, again IMO, i'd say theyre just run in :)

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
One of the good things about buying second-hand speakers is that you can normally hear straight away whether they work properly or not, unlike amps etc which may have all kinds of hidden and intermittent faults. ÿI just bought a centre speaker to better match my fronts (upgraditis, I'm afraid) which is as good as new.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
That's true, but with 2nd hand there is usually no returns policy or after-sales service. If the speakers are knackered, I've wasted a lot of money on rubbish. Hopefully though, people who buy these sorts off things USUALLY treat them pretty well.......?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:
OK, I've narrowed the choice, for the same money, to either Brand new Kef IQ5SE or Monitor Audio Silver RS6 that have had about 1600 HOURS of use!!! Would the heavy usage on the RS6 rule them out, or would it just save me the job of wearing them in? Do speakers, assuming they're not continually hammered, go inddefinitely, or can you expect the sound to deteriorate at some point?

As far as centre speaker goes, I'm going to get the Monitor Audio RSLCR and use my current centre MS902C as a surround back.

Any final opinions would be most welcome!
emotion-2.gif

Bit of a no brainer considering the RS6 is the better speaker and it would match your proposed centre speaker (which is very good too). 1600 hours is not a lot when you think about it - maybe a years worth. I have mine on (I use them for normal tv use too), probably 6-8hrs a day. Speakers last for years normally.

A

Anonymous

The Monitor Audio RS6, which is now beautifully run-in, would be my choice between the two.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Well, I managed to get the Monitor Audio RS6's, so very pleased, but failed to get the RSLCR centre speaker. so now I need to know..... What is the best centre speaker I can get for under £250? Must have deep, powerful, yet crystal-clear and punchy bass! Any ideas?? Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Davo2008:Excellent! What centre speaker do you run them with? The RSLCR?

Umm..sorry, I have a 2 channel hi-fi setup as of now... I use a bose system for AV.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I would personally stick with the RSLCR to ensure a tonal match up front. I suppose a compromise could be the bronze equivalent but seeing as how you can get the RSLCR for under £250, it's a no-brainer. LINK I bought my projector from him so he comes highly recommended. Also, I know there were deals around on MA, so you might get a few quid off if you ask. They offered me a good deal on MA when I was upgrading my speakers but I ended up with Focal.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
d4v3pum4:I would personally stick with the RSLCR to ensure a tonal match up front. I suppose a compromise could be the bronze equivalent but seeing as how you can get the RSLCR for under £250, it's a no-brainer. LINK I bought my projector from him so he comes highly recommended. Also, I know there were deals around on MA, so you might get a few quid off if you ask. They offered me a good deal on MA when I was upgrading my speakers but I ended up with Focal.

Yep, has to be the RCLSR. Sevenoaks and Peter Tyson are alternatives.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Problem is, I don't know if I can afford that now! Which is why I'm considering the Acoustic Energy Aelite for £160 (down from £450 - although this sounds unbelievably high!) Would hate to get an inferior speaker, but as I currently have a tiny Mordaunt Short 902, I figure any decent bigger speaker of a relatively-high spec would be a massive improvement! Hopefully someone here would be able to tell me something about them....!

A

Anonymous

Would suggest you wait until you can afford the RSLCR. If your current MS centre sounds awful you could always run without a centre at all for a while...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:Problem is, I don't know if I can afford that now! Which is why I'm considering the Acoustic Energy Aelite for £160 (down from £450 - although this sounds unbelievably high!) Would hate to get an inferior speaker, but as I currently have a tiny Mordaunt Short 902, I figure any decent bigger speaker of a relatively-high spec would be a massive improvement! Hopefully someone here would be able to tell me something about them....!

Call your local Sevenoaks and see if they have any ex demos or just say you only have £200 but really want one and they might do you a deal. I paid £187.50 for mine in the sale.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts