The best Streaming device - For me ?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've just started using Spotify and can't believe it's taken me so long. I've upgraded to Premium so now have it on my iphone and ipad as well. For the time being if I'm at home I'll access Spotify on my ipad and then send it via bluetooth to my main hi-fi. I'm very happy with it especially as the whole Spotify thing is still a bit of a new toy for me, but I'l know before long I'll want better quality. I also use this method to play the itunes content of my ipad and iphone.

I did a direct comparison today between CD and this bluetoth method using the "Resident Evil Afterlife" soundtrack (bad film, great CD) as I found it on Spotify as well. No doubt about it the CD method was a mile in front.

Needless to say as I see streaming music as becoming a big part of my listening. I want a system that will give me access to my itunes library and Spotify.

I've been researching over the last few days and there are so many products that all seem to offer something a little bit different.

I'll list some of those I've been looking at and my thoughts on them.

Squezebox - Prob. my least favoured. A couple of friends have had squeezeboxes over the years (not the latest) and have never really been satisfied that they managed to get the most from them

Sonos - Serious consideration as I could put a Zonebridge in my study with my PC and then add players as I like. Was thinking of putting a ZP90 in my current hi-fi (adding a DAC f necessary). I could even add a ZP90 to my HC as well.

Naim Uniti - I'm more than happy with my current CDP & amplifier. If I got the Uniti I may as well get rid of these, which as I'm so pleased with what I've got I'm not really inclined to do.

Naim Unitiqute - Again very interesting but would rather keep the amplifier I alreay have.

Marantz NA7004 - Although I don't think this supports Spotify & doesn't have wi-fi. Am I right in thinking the addition of Airplay meANS THAT IS NOT REALLY AN ISSUE. I assume I can still get Spotify on my iPad and Airplay it to the Marantz.

I keep coming back to the Marantz player, I like it's styling and if my theory on using Airplay is right then would seem to be the one for me. It is nowavailible at £600 as well. As you can probably tell from the list above and their varying prices I'm not concerned too much about budget but want to get the right product for me. I've had Streamiums in the past that were so-so and friends have had squeezeboxes so getting it right first time would be great.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Although I think I just want people to encourage me with the Marantz [:)]

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi Richard,

Ive had a brief listen to a UnitQute to be honest wasnt impressed, but to be fair was comparing it with a Cyrus 8xpd and a Peachtree Nova both of which have less functionality but more 'grunt' so it sounded a bit 'weedy' in comparison (sorry for lack of technical terms here!)

I've have 'decided' to go with one of the other amps with digital inputs and add a ZP90 to stream music from a NAS (get a NAS as well and you wont even need your pc on), If you are happy with your current set up and have an ipod for a remote then its a no brainer IMO.

If I were in your shoes I'd get a bridge/ ZP90 and a NAS, free iphone/pod/pad app to control it with - connect via the rca inputs of your amp and think about getting a DAC when you get the itch to upgrade it all

A

Anonymous

Looks like the Sonos bridge with a zone player zp90 is the way to go , as mentioned above. It really is very good, user friendly, high quality, great sound and the controller app for Sonos on the iPad is brilliant. I wish I had done it ages ago. I can currently stream Spotify Premium, Last Fm, 1000 radio stations approximate, Napster free trial, my catalogue of music in Flac format amounting to 200 cd's.......etc. I am never. going to run out of music.

for your info I run it into a Beresford DAC, then into and amp.

A

Anonymous

For me the ease of use of Sonos makes it the way to go and a no brainer.

A

Anonymous

BillDay66:
Hi Richard,

Ive had a brief listen to a UnitQute to be honest wasnt impressed, but to be fair was comparing it with a Cyrus 8xpd and a Peachtree Nova both of which have less functionality but more 'grunt' so it sounded a bit 'weedy' in comparison (sorry for lack of technical terms here!)

I've have 'decided' to go with one of the other amps with digital inputs and add a ZP90 to stream music from a NAS (get a NAS as well and you wont even need your pc on), If you are happy with your current set up and have an ipod for a remote then its a no brainer IMO.

If I were in your shoes I'd get a bridge/ ZP90 and a NAS, free iphone/pod/pad app to control it with - connect via the rca inputs of your amp and think about getting a DAC when you get the itch to upgrade it all

Which amp did you go with Billy?

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I dont do decisions Dave!

Cyrus is favourite with MA RX6 speakers and Sonos as above, am currently changing house around at the mo and then will get round to some serious listening, want to give the Peachtree a proper listen as well, still like Arcam and maybe want a phono stage and not sure about the speakers now............it goes on and on!! lol

What I would really like is an Arcam ''A38D'' with a phono stage built in, but they havent invented it yet and have no plans to apparently!

Im having fun looking though.....

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
If I still had my A85, I would be doing exactly what I said above, ie getting a Zp90 and forgetting about it, until I got the bug again, then get a dac, then.....

A

Anonymous

Its sometimes good to take your time and just wait to see whats just round the corner as well, I think this year there will be some very interesting amps coming out with digital inputs and great onboard DAC's .

I just run clean out of Hi Fi budget, which Is a really good thing, so am just contently banging out the tunes .

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Back to the OP, just had a look at the specs on that Marantz amp Richard and would personally still go for Sonos only based on what Ive read, never seen / heard the Marantz but had a long play with the Sonos in a shop and am totally sold on it

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I've re-read my OP and the answer is in there. It's got to be Sonos all the way. It's so flexible and ultimately expandable.

What I'm going to do to get started is get a Zonebridge, and 2 ZP90s for now.

I'll have one of the ZPs with my HC, I have a spare Ixos optical cable lying around and I'll use that. Would you assume the DAC in the Yamaha amp to better that in the Sonos.

I'll put a ZP in my hi-fi and connect to my Musical Fidelity amp using a pair of spare Chord Crimson Plus RCAs (at least for the moment). In the future I'll probably consider adding a DAC and try and get some home demos. Arcam Rdac looks promising although from the reviews something like the Firestone Spitfire might suit me better.

I looked at the Beresford dacs and they look very interesting. Are they widely availible or is it a case of mail order only.

Thanks again, your answers have confirmed that the Sonos is definitely the way to go.

A

Anonymous

richardw42:
Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I've re-read my OP and the answer is in there. It's got to be Sonos all the way. It's so flexible and ultimately expandable.

What I'm going to do to get started is get a Zonebridge, and 2 ZP90s for now.

I'll have one of the ZPs with my HC, I have a spare Ixos optical cable lying around and I'll use that. Would you assume the DAC in the Yamaha amp to better that in the Sonos.

I'll put a ZP in my hi-fi and connect to my Musical Fidelity amp using a pair of spare Chord Crimson Plus RCAs (at least for the moment). In the future I'll probably consider adding a DAC and try and get some home demos. Arcam Rdac looks promising although from the reviews something like the Firestone Spitfire might suit me better.

I looked at the Beresford dacs and they look very interesting. Are they widely availible or is it a case of mail order only.

Thanks again, your answers have confirmed that the Sonos is definitely the way to go.

Richard,

When connecting the ZP90 to the yamaha I would try both ways to see which you prefer, The DAC in the Yamaha is a very reasonable burr brown so should be fine.
As far as the Hifi goes I would definitely get a DAC when the budget allows as you will see plenty of improvement. I think The Beresford Caiman DAC is very good value for money. It really does produce a natural sound, reminds me of a turntable sometimes. It is only available mail order but I have never regretted my purchase.

Have fun exploring music with the Sonos

D

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Well the deed is done !!!

I've been thinking about getting a new stand for a while as well (my current one is a £30 job and has no more room)

So with this in mind, thought I might be able to negotiate a discount on a rDac. I got it all from Peter Tyson and their prices are already really competitive but I manage an extra £75 as wel.

So for £1080 delivered I got

2 x Sonos ZP90, Sonos Zonebirdge, 1m Chord Optichord, Arcam rDac, Blok Staxx 400 (in oak/black)

I had priced the above at quite a few other retailers and PT were cheapest already so an extra £75 seemed good to me.

I haven't bothered with a NAS for the time being (I'll keep my PC on). Any reccommendations on one.? Saw the Synolgy ones and if I added a couple of 1TB drives thought that'd be good ?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
richardw42:
2 x Sonos ZP90, Sonos Zonebirdge,
I haven't bothered with a NAS for the time being (I'll keep my PC on). Any reccommendations on one.? Saw the Synolgy ones and if I added a couple of 1TB drives thought that'd be good ?

As far as Sonos is concerned it really doesn't care, pretty much every NAS on the market works with it (you have to look really hard to find the ones that don't and most of them aren't proper NAS), so choose the one that fits your budget and level of expertise the best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts