The best bookshelf speakers you have heard?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

delhk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
jaxwired said:
delhk said:
Hi Jaxwired, Thanks for putting me onto the NAD C390DD, i found it from reading through some of the threads you wrote, any thoughts on the right speakers? I know you are a big fan of the LS50 but i'm concerned both are very precise with a lot of detail, and the Nad is a bit distant in presentation which might leave me a bit cold. I was thinking C390dd with the MA PL100 which you also liked as the PL100 have a very forward presentation which may balance the C390?

I'd say you're on the right track. Synergy is key to great sound. Hifi equipment all sounds different so it makes sense that certain pairings of amps and speakers work better together. The C390DD does sound smoother and could be called "distant", but IMO that "smoothness" is really just a result of the total lack of noise and distortion. But yes, I think the C390 would pair better with a speaker that leans forward rather than backward.

I would bet the PL100 would be incredible with the C390 because that speaker can be edgy with a bright amp. The smooth C390 would tame them, plus, they could use the massive bass kick the C390 can produce.

I also think the new PMC Twenty line would work well. I have not heard the twenty's but everyone reports that they are brighter than the old i series. This is also true of the fact 3.

Good luck. :)

I agree the NAD / MA combo theoretically should go really well together, but to be honest I didnt love either item individually and there isnt anywhere to test the two together.....So i have B&W 805 Diamonds on order, now I just need to find an Amp to go with it.....any suggestions?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I think Classe are distributed by B&W in the UK and are often demoed together, I have to say while Classe gear is expensive they are some of the finest electronics I’ve heard.

delhk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
bluedroog said:
I think Classe are distributed by B&W in the UK and are often demoed together, I have to say while Classe gear is expensive they are some of the finest electronics I’ve heard.

Funny, was just looking at Classe....unfortunately as you say they are expensive, seems like the CAP2100 may work but i'm not sure if its possible to use the pre-out from my Onkyo 818 AV Amp to control the volume directly, saw a user comment on the what hifi review but been through the manual and there is no reference to this function

Radiohead

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Wilson Audio Duettes. I am fortunate enough to own a pair.

DB1i is a great little speaker and so is the Totem Dreamcatcher.

The best value pair of small monitors that I've heard recently is the Pioneer SA4SPTPM. The cabinets are made out of old oak whisky barrels. They are phenomenal speakers for the money. Highly musical and fun, with an amazing soundstage and bass response for their size. So good in fact that I have just bought a pair courtesy of my weekend employer Audio-T (Cheltenham).

I thought that Pioneer could only make electronic hardware - I was wrong!

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Radiohead said:
The best value pair of small monitors that I've heard recently is the Pioneer SA4SPTPM. The cabinets are made out of old oak whisky barrels.

I'm not questioning them as speakers but what a cynical gimmick that is! I just read this off their website 'The wood has absorbed the whiskey, creating a distinctively smooth and rich acoustic quality, unlike that of any virgin wood.'

Really?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts