The best bookshelf speakers you have heard?

delhk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I started another thread looking for bookshelf speaker and ampflifier recommendations, after demo'ing a number going up to the B&W 805D.

I'm wondering what are the best and which amp was driving them?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Can you please give your maximum budget and the brands you have access to eg. Musical Fidelity, Sugden, Leema, Electrocompaniet, Pathos, Kef, Sonus Faber, Opera, Proac, PMC etc etc

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
The best bookshelf speakers I have heard are the Kef Reference 201/2, the B&W PM1's, and the Spendor SA1's (which I own and love). The Kefs were being run by Cyrus Pre Power, dunno with the B&W's, and I run my Spendors off a Cyrus DacXP+ and X Power.

delhk said:
I started another thread looking for bookshelf speaker and ampflifier recommendations, after demo'ing a number going up to the B&W 805D.

Hi delhk

The finest overall bookshelf speakers which i've heard are ATC's SCM19 monitors. I've used different amplification with SCM19's such as Naim NAP 250, Plinius Hiato, Krell FPB600, ATC SIA2-150 MK2, Anthem MRX 700, Chord Electronics SPM3005, Electrompaniet AW250, etc.

Fwiw, i also feel that SCM19 monitors are probably the finest VFM passive bookshelf speakers currently available on the market regardless of price.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
Audio Note Speakers and amplification

regards

Totally agree.....but this will take the OP on a very different journey (SET amps, NOS Dacs and "Classic Snell Design" speakers)....though it's well worth the effort, if he's intrepid enough.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I owned a pair of Spendor SA-1 and they are wonderful especially on vocals. The only drawback is lacking of low frequencies but you can always use a good quality subwoofer to boost up the loss in LF. Please also bear in mind that the HF of SA-1 is rolled off by a bit which makes the sound very warm and pleasant to your ears.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The best, that you can readily buy, that I have heard at length, given a suitable room and amplification were the ATC SCM10, with the SCM7's just behind.

As above but my favourite but I have not seen any other than my pair are the Keesonic Kolt. Sounded lovely with tube amps (Decware Zen, Radford STA-15, Audion Sterling and Audionote Oto) if you dont mind the lack of head-banging volumes.

matthewpiano

Out of all the bookshelf speakers I've heard my absolute favourites are the B&W PM1 and the PMC DB1i. I probably wouldn't change my 685s for the PMCs now, but I'd certainly take a pair of PM1s without any hesitation if I could afford them. Wonderful speakers.

The best pound-for-pound standmounters I've heard are the PMC DB1i, but this is dependent on the OPs amp/budget.

I quite like Spendor SA-1s but the lack of bass is a problem to me. I wouldn't want to spend £1800 or so on speakers and stands and then fork out for a sub.

One of the best I've heard, at the silly end of the price scale, was a pair of Wilson Benesch speakers. Can't remember the model (probably about 5 years ago) but they retailed close on £3k. They were connected to a Roksan Caspian preamp and monoblocs and, seem to remember, Bryston CDP. Blew me away.

delhk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
jaxwired said:
PMC DB1i

KEF LS50

Dynaudio Focus 160

Hi Jaxwired, Thanks for putting me onto the NAD C390DD, i found it from reading through some of the threads you wrote, any thoughts on the right speakers? I know you are a big fan of the LS50 but i'm concerned both are very precise with a lot of detail, and the Nad is a bit distant in presentation which might leave me a bit cold. I was thinking C390dd with the MA PL100 which you also liked as the PL100 have a very forward presentation which may balance the C390?

delhk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Out of all the bookshelf speakers I've heard my absolute favourites are the B&W PM1 and the PMC DB1i. I probably wouldn't change my 685s for the PMCs now, but I'd certainly take a pair of PM1s without any hesitation if I could afford them. Wonderful speakers.

Hi Matthewpiano, haven't heard the DB1i only the 22's.....but completely agree on the PM1's it was love at first sight for me, i was ready to make the commitment but then the B&W 805D turned up and ruined the party

btw does anyone know if there are two versions of the 805D? as on some forums i have seen 805D2 mentioned

delhk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
delhk said:

Hi delhk

The finest overall bookshelf speakers which i've heard are ATC's SCM19 monitors. I've used different amplification with SCM19's such as Naim NAP 250, Plinius Hiato, Krell FPB600, ATC SIA2-150 MK2, Anthem MRX 700, Chord Electronics SPM3005, Electrompaniet AW250, etc.

Fwiw, i also feel that SCM19 monitors are probably the finest VFM passive bookshelf speakers currently available on the market regardless of price.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick, thanks for the recommendation i will give them a demo

delhk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Can you please give your maximum budget and the brands you have access to eg. Musical Fidelity, Sugden, Leema, Electrocompaniet, Pathos, Kef, Sonus Faber, Opera, Proac, PMC etc etc

Hi CnoEvil, My previous post is http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/nad-c390dd-or-naim-supernait-and-which-bookshelf-speakers

Budget is around 4,000 new or used, right now I'm looking at Naim Supernait or Nad C390dd with Kef LS50, B&W PM1, B&W 805D or Monitor Audio PL100

Would prefer an amp with a DAC so i can stream or use a PS3 as a transport, but must be able to take a pre out from an AV Amp so volume can be controlled from my Onkyo 818

Speakers need to have a matching centre as this will be part of a 7.1 system

Movies vs Music 65/35% and Music taste covers everything from Rap to Rock to Opera

But that being said, there is an amazing breadth and depth of knowledge on this board so interested to hear peoples experiences, as whilst trying the Nad C390 the distributor had a Danish brand with stand mounts selling for 13k. Floorstanders can be unlimited size, design and budget but stand mounters are inherently limited by form factor so its interesting to see peoples opinions......thanks all for your contribution :cheers:

delhk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
gregvet said:
The best bookshelf speakers I have heard are the Kef Reference 201/2, the B&W PM1's, and the Spendor SA1's (which I own and love). The Kefs were being run by Cyrus Pre Power, dunno with the B&W's, and I run my Spendors off a Cyrus DacXP+ and X Power.

Thanks for the SA1's will give them a try, heard the Kef Ref 201/2 but they were too bright for me but this could have been down to the Krell pre / power they were on in comparison to the LS50

delhk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
drummerman said:
Audio Note Speakers and amplification

regards

Totally agree.....but this will take the OP on a very different journey (SET amps, NOS Dacs and "Classic Snell Design" speakers)....though it's well worth the effort, if he's intrepid enough.

The Sonus Faber showroom demo system was tube based, running off two Audio Research reference 750 blocks, really impressive in all senses! would love to have a tube based system some day...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
B&W 805D running off a Luxman class A integrated amp and Luxman's most top of the range CD/SACD player. Stopped me in my tracks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
delhk said:
Hi CnoEvil, My previous post is http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/nad-c390dd-or-naim-supernait-and-which-bookshelf-speakers

Budget is around 4,000 new or used, right now I'm looking at Naim Supernait or Nad C390dd with Kef LS50, B&W PM1, B&W 805D or Monitor Audio PL100

Would prefer an amp with a DAC so i can stream or use a PS3 as a transport, but must be able to take a pre out from an AV Amp so volume can be controlled from my Onkyo 818

Speakers need to have a matching centre as this will be part of a 7.1 system

Movies vs Music 65/35% and Music taste covers everything from Rap to Rock to Opera

My choice for amplification would be:

- Musical Fidelity M6i (HT Bi-Pass)

- Moon 340i (HT Bi-Pass and Dac)...might stretch your budget a little.

My choice for speakers would be the Kef R series....which ever model suits budget and room size.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
delhk said:
The Sonus Faber showroom demo system was tube based, running off two Audio Research reference 750 blocks, really impressive in all senses! would love to have a tube based system some day...

Magnificent!

The fact you are incorporating it into your AV system, makes it more sensible to get something with HT Bi-pass and something that isn't valves, as the front sound field won't match.

There is also the fact that Class A is more expensive to run if it's left on only doing HT duties.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
delhk said:
Hi Jaxwired, Thanks for putting me onto the NAD C390DD, i found it from reading through some of the threads you wrote, any thoughts on the right speakers? I know you are a big fan of the LS50 but i'm concerned both are very precise with a lot of detail, and the Nad is a bit distant in presentation which might leave me a bit cold. I was thinking C390dd with the MA PL100 which you also liked as the PL100 have a very forward presentation which may balance the C390?

I'd say you're on the right track. Synergy is key to great sound. Hifi equipment all sounds different so it makes sense that certain pairings of amps and speakers work better together. The C390DD does sound smoother and could be called "distant", but IMO that "smoothness" is really just a result of the total lack of noise and distortion. But yes, I think the C390 would pair better with a speaker that leans forward rather than backward.

I would bet the PL100 would be incredible with the C390 because that speaker can be edgy with a bright amp. The smooth C390 would tame them, plus, they could use the massive bass kick the C390 can produce.

I also think the new PMC Twenty line would work well. I have not heard the twenty's but everyone reports that they are brighter than the old i series. This is also true of the fact 3.

Good luck. :)

TRENDING THREADS