The Apex Club

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
gosalh said:
Ok guys,

This one may be of interest to RickyDeg, Ric71 and Musicraft.

I purchased a new Bluray player - Oppo BDP-95

Amazing machine. Made my Apex sing even better than before. Much more clarity, detail and the bass sounds much tighter and deeper with blurays!!!!

Also CDs sound amazing too!!!!

I tried Battle Los Angeles and the scene where the troops arrive in LA for the first time in the helicopters sounded amazing with the explosions and gun fire.

I'm happy with the purchase, although i had to sell a kidney for it. This was my last home theater gadget that my wife would allow. Im all maxed out now both in cost and equipment.

Does anyone else own an OPPO BDP-95?

Hello there gosalh, its been a while!
smiley-smile.gif

Thanks for posting this. Cool. It's actually of great interest to me because just last week I placed my order for an Oppo BDP-93, as I've kept my eye on that one for a while. My best friend has one and it's amazing in every respect. As much as I love my Blu-ray player Denon DVD-2500BT (with build-quality to die for!) it's a first generation Blu-ray machine (transport-only!) which is way to slow for my patience. I've lived with it for 3 years now. I am expecting to have an upgrade in image AND soundquality. I'm personally not interested in the BDP-95, as the only difference between the two is in the analogue section, and I will never use a Blu-ray player to play any CD's (I have my brilliant Yamaha CDR-HD1500 HD-jukebox for that purpose). Only Blu-ray's through bitstream via HDMI. It's interesting that you are playing around with the multichannel analogue aswel though... but I seriously wonder if the decoding and DAC's are all that much better than your Denon A-100? Perhaps they are for 2-channel CD's for music? Atleast you seem to have experienced better HD-audio through bitstream aswell? THAT is exactly what I wanted to hear... very excited to pick out any improvements this will bring to the Apex-system. Surrounding equipment usually pays off, and not just the receiver. Mine arrives next week, so I have to wait a bit. I'm moving apartments at the same time though, so I reckon I'll be kept busy.

I'll report back to you! Can't wait!
smiley-cool.gif

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey Ricky,

Yeah big improvement over digital (HDMI), i loved every bit of it. Im not sure if there's going to be an improvement by using 2x HDMI cables, one dedicated to Video and the other to Audio. I will play around and let you know. But seriously, the player is too good, excellent build, very heavy as well and the picture quality is excellent but the sound is awesome!!!!!!!! Big improvement over my Sony Bluray.

I'm going to play around with the analogue connectors and utilise the Sabre 32bit DAC and see how they differ to Denon's DAC.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
gosalh said:
Hey Ricky, Yeah big improvement over digital (HDMI), i loved every bit of it. Im not sure if there's going to be an improvement by using 2x HDMI cables, one dedicated to Video and the other to Audio. I will play around and let you know. But seriously, the player is too good, excellent build, very heavy as well and the picture quality is excellent but the sound is awesome!!!!!!!! Big improvement over my Sony Bluray. I'm going to play around with the analogue connectors and utilise the Sabre 32bit DAC and see how they differ to Denon's DAC.

Will be fun to hear your observations as you continue to laborate. If I were you I'd prolly stick to bitstream HDMI for movies, and simply use the analogue with internal DAC's for music CD's etc. Rewarding, indeed. However, which Sony model did you have previously? I can't remember... first I thought you had the PS3 as your Blu-ray, but I'm prolly mistaken? If so, naturally the Oppo would be a major upgrade. Needless to say I'm glad that our fine Apex-speakers continue to excell as we feed them better and better equipment. My next at-home-test will probably be Anthem MRX 700. Don't know just yet.

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I had a Sony bdp-s350 which was a decent player but no way near the Oppo. The difference to audio was huge - night and day. I will play around with different configurations and will let you guys know.

Apex is a fine piece of kit, very proud of it. Just hearing the AW-12 boom when there's an action scene, blows the mind away :)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
gosalh said:
I had a Sony bdp-s350 which was a decent player but no way near the Oppo. The difference to audio was huge - night and day. I will play around with different configurations and will let you guys know. Apex is a fine piece of kit, very proud of it. Just hearing the AW-12 boom when there's an action scene, blows the mind away :)

Hmm, I'm thinking it's about time you post some pix of your set-up, hehe :exmark:

As soon as I've settled in my new place and gotten everything in order I'll post some new ones of mine!

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
RickyDeg said:
gosalh said:
Hey Ricky, Yeah big improvement over digital (HDMI), i loved every bit of it. Im not sure if there's going to be an improvement by using 2x HDMI cables, one dedicated to Video and the other to Audio. I will play around and let you know. But seriously, the player is too good, excellent build, very heavy as well and the picture quality is excellent but the sound is awesome!!!!!!!! Big improvement over my Sony Bluray. I'm going to play around with the analogue connectors and utilise the Sabre 32bit DAC and see how they differ to Denon's DAC.

Will be fun to hear your observations as you continue to laborate. If I were you I'd prolly stick to bitstream HDMI for movies, and simply use the analogue with internal DAC's for music CD's etc. Rewarding, indeed. However, which Sony model did you have previously? I can't remember... first I thought you had the PS3 as your Blu-ray, but I'm prolly mistaken? If so, naturally the Oppo would be a major upgrade. Needless to say I'm glad that our fine Apex-speakers continue to excell as we feed them better and better equipment. My next at-home-test will probably be Anthem MRX 700. Don't know just yet.

Hey Ricky let us know when you demo the MRX 700.That was going to be my powerhouse for my system untill the Arcam came along for a bargain bucket price!! Would be very interested in your findings.
Ric

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ric71 said:
Hey Ricky let us know when you demo the MRX 700.That was going to be my powerhouse for my system untill the Arcam came along for a bargain bucket price!! Would be very interested in your findings. Ric

Oh, so that's why you went all Arcam ;) Can't say I blame you though! Arcam + Monitor Audio = ideal match?

The Anthems are under high demand in my area right now, and my retailer won't let me demo one at home just yet, so I'll have to be patient, since I also wanna make sure I can have it for at least 5 days. I've demoed it in-store a few times (with B&W speakers only) and I've been pretty much knocked off my seat each time. I'll let you know my findings when I've tested it.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The Arcam sounds great with the Apex,very pleased!
The Anthem is supposed to be awsome from everything I have read with top notch amplification and the ARC room eq.Not to many dealers have it available for demo near me which is good I suppose as I am very happy with my Arcam and cant afford to be tempted!!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
From my experience of the anthems, I'm not too sure they'll be a great match with Apex. Yes, the Anthems are very detailed, but I found the 700 quite hard and edgy, which might not go down too well with the Apex speakers. With the Arcam they're both nicely balanced and compliment each other, and together will produce some decent sounding music, as well as movies.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
From my experience of the anthems, I'm not too sure they'll be a great match with Apex. Yes, the Anthems are very detailed, but I found the 700 quite hard and edgy, which might not go down too well with the Apex speakers. With the Arcam they're both nicely balanced and compliment each other, and together will produce some decent sounding music, as well as movies.

Thanks for the input, David. Much appreciated. I shall look forward to my own test later on. I still love the Denon+Apex combination, which truly does work great together, so the Anthem will have to top that for sure if I am to open my wallet, hehe.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
downtothebone said:
Setup so far ...
258810d1313963398-any-excitement-over-marantz-av7005-hd-preamp-img_0600.jpg

Thanks for posting that. Always a joy to see other peoples set-up's. 3 x A40's in the front must be hella nice. This was suppose to be my configuration aswell, but due to installation-aesthetics I had to skip that idea. As a sidenote, I see that you have not yet installed anything underneath the A40's to "isolate" and "decouple" them from the a/v-furniture. I would personally recommend that you do just that (using flat spikes, of high quality, or anything of the likes) as this can squeeze out a bit more definition out of them, which is always fun! Placing any speakers directly on a surface is seldom a good idea. Naturally the A40's are slim cabinets and not very deep so it might be tricky to find something good that also maintains them standing firmly. Anyhoooo, best of luck and enjoy!

A

Anonymous

im currently selling a full set of these on ebay at a really good price, i went abit mad upgrading and cant justify keeping them having only watch 3/4 films in 2 month

item number 320750526426

cheers

Bazzy

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

Was wondering if there have been any comparisons between the MA Apex System & the Paradigm Milenia One? Both look quite similar & the Milenia One System seems to have got the same sort of amazing reviews over the pond as the Apex have done over here! I know someone mentioned about comparisons between the two before & was wondering if anyone could shed some light?

Bazzy!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thought I would add some new photos of my Apex 7.2 set-up, now that I finally moved to my new apartment. I only got it ready last night, and despite that this livingroom is slightly smaller than in my last apartment the audio reproduction is still stellar, maybe even because of it. Even though the room itself isn't completely furnished yet the acoustics are apparently very good indeed. The feeling of "air" and "space" from the Apex is much improved here. I'm a happy camper.

rm8ghw.png

My additional pair of A10's will be wall-mounted eventually, in order to serve duty as 'front height' channels. And the AW-12 sub may look a bit crammed in on this photo, but it's really not, and a corner placement proved to work surprisingly well in this room.

34t30va.png

Though I've yet to install any curtains the sound is still terrific. The Apex are well at home here. My second AW-12 sub is placed in the corner behind the sofa.

Also, I'm expecting delivery of the disc-player Oppo BDP-93 next week so it will be christmas all over again! Oh, and if more Apex owners uploaded some photos of their set-ups it would be awesome fun for us all! Cheers!

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey Ricky your system is looking fantastic. Front heights are great with movies by the way. It must sound awsome with the two subs. The room is my kind of style too. I will try to post some pics this week and I too will be ordering the Oppo 93 soon!

A

Anonymous

My Apex 5.1 system finally arrived two weeks ago and I've had it set up for about a week. Previously, I had a Focal Dome 5.1 system and I'm happy to say the upgrade has been definitely worthwhile.

I love the Focal Dome system and I think it's the best system up to £1500, but the Apex system offers a definite improvement in performance: more detail and impact, tighter base, and a more complete sound. My wife, who just sighs when I mention anything to do with AV equipment, remarked that music sounds much better than before and commented on the improved performance when watching one of our kids' Blurays. Trust me, that is high praise indeed!

And I couldn't agree more. The extra physical size of the centre and satellites means that they can produce a wider range of sound compared to the smaller Focal satellites. Add in the more powerful sub, which makes the Focal sub sound weak and flabby in comparison, and the whole system combines so well that it really sings. I can't accomodate floor standers and I also listen to music, but I don't feel I'm missing out on anything with the Apex system which is making me very, very happy! :)

There is one downside, which is mostly an issue for my better half. The centre and satellites are wall mounted and aesthetically the Focals are way ahead so I've taken a bit of stick because of this. I never thought the Apex system would be beaten for style but the Focals look a whole lot better when wall mounted. Some of of the other set ups on here look great, but our lounge is not quite so modern looking and the Apex satellites don't fit in quite as well. Never mind though, they sound great and that's what counts.

I'd like then to submit my application to the Apex Club. Some photos to follow shortly...

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
collywobbles said:
My Apex 5.1 system finally arrived two weeks ago and I've had it set up for about a week. Previously, I had a Focal Dome 5.1 system and I'm happy to say the upgrade has been definitely worthwhile.

I love the Focal Dome system and I think it's the best system up to £1500, but the Apex system offers a definite improvement in performance: more detail and impact, tighter base, and a more complete sound. My wife, who just sighs when I mention anything to do with AV equipment, remarked that music sounds much better than before and commented on the improved performance when watching one of our kids' Blurays. Trust me, that is high praise indeed!

And I couldn't agree more. The extra physical size of the centre and satellites means that they can produce a wider range of sound compared to the smaller Focal satellites. Add in the more powerful sub, which makes the Focal sub sound weak and flabby in comparison, and the whole system combines so well that it really sings. I can't accomodate floor standers and I also listen to music, but I don't feel I'm missing out on anything with the Apex system which is making me very, very happy! :)

There is one downside, which is mostly an issue for my better half. The centre and satellites are wall mounted and aesthetically the Focals are way ahead so I've taken a bit of stick because of this. I never thought the Apex system would be beaten for style but the Focals look a whole lot better when wall mounted. Some of of the other set ups on here look great, but our lounge is not quite so modern looking and the Apex satellites don't fit in quite as well. Never mind though, they sound great and that's what counts.

I'd like then to submit my application to the Apex Club. Some photos to follow shortly...

Warm welcomes, collywobbles, and naturally congrats on your excellent choice! It's very funny your last experience is of Focal Dome, because that was initially the system I was looking at prior to finally purchasing the Apex. Although I ever only listened to them at in-store demos the Focal Dome's are excellent in their own right but, just as you say, the Apex are a definite improvement by comparison. I also agree that the Domes might be easier to integrate and can look a bit better than the Apex, but naturally that is personal taste. I was doubtful of the Apex design when I first got them (thought they were very awkward) but now I can't stop looking at them (and loving them). They fit the interior of my new apartment like a glove, and makes my livingroom appear sober and stylish without appearing too much high-tech. The only thing I don't like are the ugly table-top stands for the A10's and the fact that there is none provided for the center A40. That is pretty lame. However, I am instead using small flat spikes directly underneath each speakercabinet of the front trio, and though the A10's are a bit unstable that way atleast they are isolated from most vibrations.

Waiting with anticipation for some photos from you! Enjoy!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ric71 said:
Hey Ricky your system is looking fantastic. Front heights are great with movies by the way. It must sound awsome with the two subs. The room is my kind of style too. I will try to post some pics this week and I too will be ordering the Oppo 93 soon!

Thanks for having a look, and the nice compliments ric71. I can safely say having the two AW-12 does make a difference. I'm just a bit sad that I can't see the second one since it's hiding behind my sofa in this new apartment, hehe, but it works. Cool that you are getting the Oppo BDP-93... I guess we can share impressions later!

Looking forward to also seeing your photos!

A

Anonymous

Having been an unfortunate individual who, one year ago, was exposed to a demo of the apex when on an outing to get some initial info on surround sound I must say that I was, at that moment in time, blown away. I was not in the position of having a budget large enough to stretch to the wonders I had experienced. I am now, happily ready to purchase a set in, wait for it, White!

The decision to buy these is made.. Reading this thread however makes me realise 3 things

1. I know nothing about av setup
2. Having a demo is vital - individual taste accounts for a lot
3. I don't know what to demo

It is the last part I need help with. I heard the apex on an arcam 600. I will demo alternatives but, in your experience - which scene from which film would you suggest would be the best to demo with? I am used to 2.1 and am worried I will not get the most from a demo with the wrong selection

Any advice?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
tom75 said:
Having been an unfortunate individual who, one year ago, was exposed to a demo of the apex when on an outing to get some initial info on surround sound I must say that I was, at that moment in time, blown away. I was not in the position of having a budget large enough to stretch to the wonders I had experienced. I am now, happily ready to purchase a set in, wait for it, White! The decision to buy these is made.. Reading this thread however makes me realise 3 things 1. I know nothing about av setup 2. Having a demo is vital - individual taste accounts for a lot 3. I don't know what to demo It is the last part I need help with. I heard the apex on an arcam 600. I will demo alternatives but, in your experience - which scene from which film would you suggest would be the best to demo with? I am used to 2.1 and am worried I will not get the most from a demo with the wrong selection Any advice?

Hi Tom, I too have the Apex in white and they look great. If the Arcam AVR 600 is in budget then go for it and you will not be disappointed. If you don't need networking and Internet radio listen to the 500 as it sounds as good as the 600 but with less features reduced from £2500 to £1299 as discontinued. If you listen to music too then this is an awesome combination. If it's primarily for movies you can get great deals on a Pioneer Sc Lx 82. Also consider an Anthem MRX 700 receiver again fabulous. Listen to Dark Knight. Let us know how you get on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts