The Apex Club

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
One for Ric71 and Ricky Setup the analogue connections on my oppo 95. In terms of audio... For bluray: it no way beats my Denon A100. The Multeq xt32 is kicks ass and the sound processing on the Denon seems much wider and clearer. Bass on the Denon is tighter and deeper because of the xt32. For cd music: surprisingly the oppo's analogue sounded superior in this department. Much more depth, clarity and wider. to sum up... So i prefer hdmi and the denon for movies, and the oppo for music. Ive got both connections setup now. For the hdmi ive set dual connections. One connection dedicated for video. The second is for audio/video. I was chatting to oppo support, and the engineer said that they will be releasing a firmware soon to allow the second hdmi connection to be dedicated to audio only. This should provide higher quality audio. But this will only be available on the oppo 95.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
gosalh said:
One for Ric71 and Ricky Setup the analogue connections on my oppo 95. In terms of audio... For bluray: it no way beats my Denon A100. The Multeq xt32 is kicks ass and the sound processing on the Denon seems much wider and clearer. Bass on the Denon is tighter and deeper because of the xt32. For cd music: surprisingly the oppo's analogue sounded superior in this department. Much more depth, clarity and wider. to sum up... So i prefer hdmi and the denon for movies, and the oppo for music. Ive got both connections setup now. For the hdmi ive set dual connections. One connection dedicated for video. The second is for audio/video. I was chatting to oppo support, and the engineer said that they will be releasing a firmware soon to allow the second hdmi connection to be dedicated to audio only. This should provide higher quality audio. But this will only be available on the oppo 95.

Thanks alot for digging my set-up, first of all, gosalh
smiley-laughing.gif
Still looking forward to seeing yours soon, I hope! Second, I'm glad to read your observations about your Oppo + Denon. I guess it was close to what I suspected. I can only imagine how good the BDP-95 is with analogue stereo. Much pleasure. Just received my BDP-93 yesterday got it hooked it up (HDMI - Bitstream) and the audio of Blu-ray seems slightly more "crisp" and "tight" than my older Denon player. It's only smallish nuances, but an improvement nonetheless. Not to mention the razor-sharp image-quality, user friendliness and quick operation. It's miles and miles ahead in that last department. As I noted before my Apex seem to really feel at home in my new listening room, thus the acoustics are better here than in my last apartment. The new Oppo added a smallish improvement to their reproduction, that's for sure, so I think it was worth every penny! Now... if only I can manage to sell my Denon DVD-2500BT Blu-ray to some poor soul, hehe...

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi gosalh,
Thanks for the update and glad you are pleased with the Oppo. After much research I think I will get the 93 as I will only be using it as a transport letting
my ARCAM do the decoding as I use the multichannel processing for music so the 95's superior dac's would be wasted. I will use hdmi and digital out for audio.
I'm in the process of getting a Sonus ZP90 with Nas so I can pack my CDs away.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
gosalh said:

Interesting to hear our findings, gosalh. Pretty much what I suspected. You are clearly enjoying your player, in combination with the Denon and Apex. I just recieved my Oppo BDP-93 about a week ago and it's brilliant. I'm only using it as a 'transport' with HDMI-Bitstream to my Denon, and the audio is slightly more "clear" sounding that with my older Denon disc player, other than that the speed and user friendliness is far and above anything I've encountered before. It's a good thing that the Apex are able to demonstrate improvements each time you upgrade your surrounding components! Thus, I'm a happy camper too! The only smallish issue I'm having is a slight audio-handshake issue, because there is a second delay of audio output when the disc being played switches its audio format from, say, Dolby Digital to DTS HD Master Audio, when gong from a disc-menu to the feature film for example. This is a bit irritating, but an issue for the Oppo-team to solve, I'm sure (e-mailing my feedback).

A

Anonymous

Some photos as promised, with and without grills. Yellow duck contributed by my 4 year old son.

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0070.jpg

MMW

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm a new owner of a RX-V2067/Apex 5.1 system and for some reasons I have just only two options to wiring my system, the Chord Carnival Silver Screen or QED Silver Anniversary XT. As far as I know QED SA-XT it´s open and extremely detailed and in some systems maybe a bit bright and the Chord carnival SS warmer and more midbass oriented and slightly less open compared to the QED.

In my area I have no chance to hear them wiring a system like the one I own so I´ll appreciate any comments from owners or sellers about pros and cons of each cable in this particular system.

Thanks a lot in advance!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
MMW said:
I'm a new owner of a RX-V2067/Apex 5.1 system and for some reasons I have just only two options to wiring my system, the Chord Carnival Silver Screen or QED Silver Anniversary XT. As far as I know QED SA-XT it´s open and extremely detailed and in some systems maybe a bit bright and the Chord carnival SS warmer and more midbass oriented and slightly less open compared to the QED.

In my area I have no chance to hear them wiring a system like the one I own so I´ll appreciate any comments from owners or sellers about pros and cons of each cable in this particular system.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hey MMW! Obiously you've already read my reply on the cable-issue in the other thread. Don't know if you can/want to consider Supra cables, but whatever you choose in the end I hope it will match well and suit your taste. Let us know how you get on and please feel free to post some photos of your Apex set-up if you wish, like some of us other owners have done!

MMW

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi RickyDeg! Yes, I will try a small set of Supra Classis cables in a 2.1 stereo setup following your advice and I´m trying to locate too a set of the type of cable Rick@Musicraft suggested me to see which of both ones suits better my taste. Of course I´ll be very glad to post some pics but they ´ll take some time to be posted cause I have cancelled the order I placed about the 2067. Right now I´m considering to take a listen to the new RX-A2010 before going for the now discontinued 2067. I don´t know if the RX-A2010 it's worth the wait and the extra expense :? so I´ll appreciate any comments from people that has listened to both units in the context of an Apex System. Thanks!! :)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This post is directed to ric71, hope all is well :wave:

I've been keeping an eye on Arcam as of late, and was wondering if you could give me your input about the AVR500? How do you run it when playing traditional 2-channel audio, from CDs for example? Digital or analogue input? What listeningmode do you use? And how would you describe the stereo reproduction from a pair of A10's alone, driven by your Arcam? I never listen to them that way myself, so I'm curious what your findings are with Arcam. My Denon is not very convincing in straight-up 2-channel stereo, so I actually use the 5-channel stereo mode (controversial, I know! hehe) to decent effect. But the Arcam have no such thing (perfectly understandable). Also, since there is an abundance of consumer-complaints about the firmware in these Arcams receivers; how has yours been behaving? I am keen on trying out the AVR600 soon, or possibly an Anthem MRX700 (which I mentioned in a previous post) so, again, it would be cool to have your input. Thanks!

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ricky, All is well thank you. Hope you are still enjoying the new apartment. I find the Arcam sounds very smooth and detailed.It never sounds flustered or strained it just remains smooth as the volume increases. I used to own a Lexicon DC2 processor hooked up to either ADA or Parasound multichannel power amps at a cost of over £5000. I find the Arcam smoother and a more enjoyable listen. This was with a big old Def Tech speaker system that would play to silly spl's with tons of headroom . The Arcam and Apex give a more detailed listen without any fatigue. I only listen in Pro logic2 music as I don't really find stereo involving enough from any set up no matter the price point. In this respect the Apex are fantastic as a sub sat system. I have tried stereo and the A10's do an admirable job with a sub but they shine in multichannel music listening hence my reason for buyIng them. I use a cd transport connected via dig coax and let the Arcam's dac's decode hence I will get the Oppo 93 rather than 95 as it will again be used as a transport via dig coax so will not utilise it's dac's. As for software issues the 500 has been fine. No fans no running too hot. It does the odd thing evey now and again but so did my Denon. I would not change it. The Anthem though would interest me but I have no regrets with the 500. The 600 is a very similar listen but with the network features etc and a bit more power. For the price of a 500 in the UK at the moment it is an absolute bargain.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ric71 said:
Hi Ricky, All is well thank you. Hope you are still enjoying the new apartment. I find the Arcam sounds very smooth and detailed.It never sounds flustered or strained it just remains smooth as the volume increases. I used to own a Lexicon DC2 processor hooked up to either ADA or Parasound multichannel power amps at a cost of over £5000. I find the Arcam smoother and a more enjoyable listen. This was with a big old Def Tech speaker system that would play to silly spl's with tons of headroom . The Arcam and Apex give a more detailed listen without any fatigue. I only listen in Pro logic2 music as I don't really find stereo involving enough from any set up no matter the price point. In this respect the Apex are fantastic as a sub sat system. I have tried stereo and the A10's do an admirable job with a sub but they shine in multichannel music listening hence my reason for buyIng them. I use a cd transport connected via dig coax and let the Arcam's dac's decode hence I will get the Oppo 93 rather than 95 as it will again be used as a transport via dig coax so will not utilise it's dac's. As for software issues the 500 has been fine. No fans no running too hot. It does the odd thing evey now and again but so did my Denon. I would not change it. The Anthem though would interest me but I have no regrets with the 500. The 600 is a very similar listen but with the network features etc and a bit more power. For the price of a 500 in the UK at the moment it is an absolute bargain.

Thanks for getting back with your input so promptly, ric71 - much appreciated :grin:

I'm enjoying the new place, yeah. Only wish I had an Arcam AVR600 and Anthem MRX700 here to test-drive already though, then I reckon all would be perfect, hehe. Funny you owned a Lexicon DC2 as I did myself aswell some 10 years ago or so. It was a great piece of home cinema wonder at the time. Ugly and plasticy, perhaps, but had good sound. I'm happy to hear you are having better experiences with your Arcam though. The AVR600 is nearly double the price in my area compared to the MRX700, so it will be interesting if I get to try both head-to-head. I've heard lots of Monitor Audio speakers in general pair very well indeed with Arcam equipment however, so without even having had a listen yet I suspect that'll be the case in my experience aswell. Time will tell. I still have a feeling I'll be missing a good 'All Channel Stereo' mode on the Arcam though, as I just cant seem to go back to plain old 2-channel any more. And 'PLII Music' I'm not so sure about...

Do let us know how you get on with your Oppo-player, BTW, once you get it. I'm still intrigued with mine, just smallish quirks that I'm not all too pleased with however, but I can live with them. Speed, reliability and user-friendliness far outshine my minor quibbles (slight audio bitstream delay + slight "flickering" on slow panning shots). Naturally, my Apex perform flawlessly. Of course. Cheers.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's done - I've ordered the highly praised Anthem MRX700 for at-home-testing from my (kind) dealer. I'll be running it for about 2 weeks to see what it can do for my Apex and indeed my room with it's much-hyped ARC room correction system. I'm totally curious. And then some.

I'll definitely post my findings (and pictures) on here as soon as possible for anyone who has (or has not!) considered the Anthem with their Apex. Here's to hoping it won't leave me with that same lame impression I got of the Pioneer SC-LX83 when I tested it this summer...

a11hdv.png

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I will be very interested to hear your findings Ricky. I was going to purchase the MRX 700 but didn't demo it in the end as when I discovered the Arcam AVR 500 was being sold at silly price I had to get one.
Even though I am 100% happy with the Arcam I have always wondered about the Anthem and it's ARC so please keep me posted.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
RickyDeg said:
Well, it's done - I've ordered the highly praised Anthem MRX700 for at-home-testing from my (kind) dealer. I'll be running it for about 2 weeks to see what it can do for my Apex and indeed my room with it's much-hyped ARC room correction system.

Here's to hoping it won't leave me with that same lame impression I got of the Pioneer SC-LX83 when I tested it this summer...

Having heard both in our demo rooms, I'll be interested to see what you think of it... :)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
RickyDeg said:
Well, it's done - I've ordered the highly praised Anthem MRX700 for at-home-testing from my (kind) dealer. I'll be running it for about 2 weeks to see what it can do for my Apex and indeed my room with it's much-hyped ARC room correction system.

Here's to hoping it won't leave me with that same lame impression I got of the Pioneer SC-LX83 when I tested it this summer...

Having heard both in our demo rooms, I'll be interested to see what you think of it... :)

Hey David, I remember you mentioning a couple months ago your experience of the Anthem MRX700 in conjunction with Apex. It was not directly in the Anthems favour, saying the sound was "quite hard and edgy"- you still stand by that impression or has it changed? Did that set-up play with ARC engaged or without, do you know? Will post my findings as soon as I can.

A

Anonymous

Hi all, Sorry to butt in mid-flow but I've got some questions and this looks the best place to ask them. I'm looking at upgrading my B&W MT-1's, starting with the front LCR speakers. I've already got a MA RXW-12 sub and have been told that this is all but identical in performance to the Apex sub. Would the LCR speakers fit in with the rest of my system until I can afford the rear surround speakers? The other big question is what are the Apex's like with stereo music? This would be quite important to me as I am underwelmed with the stereo performance of the MT-1's at the minute.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jase,
The Apex will work in your system and as a stereo pair there isn't anything else out there of this size that comes close IMO. You will need to run the sub with them in stereo as they don't go low enough on their own!

A

Anonymous

Hi, thanks for the info. Do you think I'd be ok with 5 A10's instead of the big A40 centre as I don't think I can accommodate it?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can def use 5 A10's.
The A10 is a fantastic speaker in it's own right.
It is also easy to accomodate as they can be wall mounted or placed on a flat surface.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Jase Brown said:
Hi, thanks for the info. Do you think I'd be ok with 5 A10's instead of the big A40 centre as I don't think I can accommodate it?

I definitely agree with ric71. Using 5 (or more) completely identical speakers all round is always preferable, as good as the A40 is. So go for the A10 and let us know how you get on!

A

Anonymous

I'm currently using 3 x A40 fronts and 2 x A10 rears with a Yamaha 2065 + Rotel RMB 985 power amp (5 x 100 @ 8 ohms all channels driven).

I've got an itch at the moment that onlu an upgrade will fix and I don;t want to change my speakers. Has anyone any experience of the APEX with either

- Bryston 9B SST (5 x 140)

- Rotel 1095 (5 x 200)

- Parasound (5 x 250)

Will an amp with more oomph give me better SQ at a given level or am I at the limit in terms of gains with the kit I have?

Cheers,

JB

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Cool I think it would be worth the upgrade.

I used to run Parasound power amps and they would sound great with the Apex, mind you so would the Bryston!!!

A few may say that these kind of power amps would be overkill but I don't see it that way.

Just because the Apex are satellite speakers does not mean that they do not deserve some seriously good power Amps to run them.

The detail you would get from Movies and music will be fantastic and having the power reserve will allow them to shine as long as you don't play them to stupid above reference levels they will be fine.

jb001e9634 said:
I'm currently using 3 x A40 fronts and 2 x A10 rears with a Yamaha 2065 + Rotel RMB 985 power amp (5 x 100 @ 8 ohms all channels driven).

I've got an itch at the moment that onlu an upgrade will fix and I don;t want to change my speakers. Has anyone any experience of the APEX with either

- Bryston 9B SST (5 x 140)

- Rotel 1095 (5 x 200)

- Parasound (5 x 250)

Will an amp with more oomph give me better SQ at a given level or am I at the limit in terms of gains with the kit I have?

Cheers,

JB

Hi JB

I've not heard Apex speakers with the 9SST or Parasound amps however i have with the RMB-1095 (which i also used to sell btw). The RMB-1095 certailnly does work well with Apex speakers although i can't say how much of an improvement the RMB-1095 will offer over the RMB-985 as i don't think i've heard the RMB-985.

If you really want to push the boat out then the Plinius Odean power amp is also worth serious consideration. I've used the Odean powere amp extensively with Apex speakers and the Odeans quality of power, its tonal presentation and its overall performance forms a stunning match with Apex speakers.

If you're looking at a better power amp then i think in due course you should also think about having a dedicated AV processor. AV processers such as Onkyo's PR-SC5508 or PR-SC5509 is worth bearing in mind.

Btw, what sub woofer/s do you use please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts