Test for Golden Earedness

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Kamikaze Bitter said:
Seems like a very easy test to me. Don't think 100% indicates golden ears - just that you are not completly deaf.

I use Linux and there are several ear trainer programs there - I use GNU Solfege - dunno if there are equivalent in the mac windows world, but they are much trickier, asking you to identify various harmonic and melodic intervals. You do need good pitch for that.

For what its worth, I think the golden ears stuff is nonsense. I have some freinds who have perfect pitch they are completly insesnsitive to the nuances hi fi quality, but do find a minutely off tune piano painful! In many ways its a curse.

Have you tried this test? How far did you get?

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Well I ended up taking the test as a guest because I was waiting ages for the email conformation so I could save my progress. I didn't get to do the quiz at the end of the Golden Ears section because I couldn't complete the the Frequency boost/cut section all othe rsection were complete.

Of course it doesn't make me amzing and I'm sure there are much more comprehensive test that can be done. It was kind of fun apart from you go a step back if you get a step wrong and you get a different question than the previous time, which I think is good to rule out any flukes.

Not doing it again thoug even though I can now log in as it took too long.

Cheers Vladimir that was one way to waste the morning lol ;) of course I didn't have to do it.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
Vladimir said:
The Philips one is actually more of a training, not a test per se. I find it quite educational.

Yeah I supose it is. I still kind of enjoyed seeing what I could do.

Have you tried Harman's How to Listen? program?

http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.co.uk/

Matt

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
Glacialpath said:
Vladimir said:
The Philips one is actually more of a training, not a test per se. I find it quite educational.

Matt

Now that one is hard. Scoring 24 on all ends means you are Batman.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
matt49 said:
Glacialpath said:
Vladimir said:

Matt

Now that one is hard. Scoring 24 on all ends means you are Batman.

Agreed. But worth a try if you have an idle hour or six.

My objection earlier in this thread wasn't to doing this kind of training; it was to the idea that one's score in the test should be treated as a measure of one's ability to hear and should have some kind of truth-value on the forum. There's enough oneupmanship here already.

I hope I've made the distinction clear.

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts