Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
not_tone_deaf_320.jpg

100 percent passed.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Can't hear anything above 15kHz so I didn't bother with the test. Otherwise thumbs up for the thread. :cheer:

Don`t think anything goes that high,it`s more about being able to tell the difference between sound,give it a try!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Guys have you tried this one? https://www.goldenears.philips.com/en/introduction.html

It's long winded. I've been going for over an hour now and just compled Bronze. Silver is 'unlocked' so i'll crack on with that after breakfast. Only 'stuttered' a bit with noise effects but passed once I did the training bit again. Think I misunderstood what was being asked for.

I'm suprised it's all so obvious just using a pair of Senn PX100 IIs plugged straight into the laptop. I thought differences would all be much more subtle. (I am never going to listen to 'wings of a dove' again!)

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Vladimir said:
Guys have you tried this one? https://www.goldenears.philips.com/en/introduction.html

It's long winded. I've been going for over an hour now and just compled Bronze. Silver is 'unlocked' so i'll crack on with that after breakfast. Only 'stuttered' a bit with noise effects but passed once I did the training bit again. Think I misunderstood what was being asked for.

I'm suprised it's all so obvious just using a pair of Senn PX100 IIs plugged straight into the laptop. I thought differences would all be much more subtle. (I am never going to listen to 'wings of a dove' again!)

I'm having a go through this too. It's great. I think all of us should do it then at least we can have an idea of what people are capable of hearing when we are arguing about cables and if we can hear a difference.
This is a quote from the test. "Noise is inherent in electronic systems, and can pollute audio signals in poorly designed equipment. In this exercise broadband noise is added, sounding like a badly tuned radio, but other common sources of noise include interference from mains power, or rattling and vibration of mechanical parts in a loudspeaker."

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
I'm having a go through this too. It's great. I think all of us should do it then at least we can have an idea of what people are capable of hearing when we are arguing about cables and if we can hear a difference.

I think that's a dangerous road to go down, for three reasons.

1. a self-directed online test of this kind is no substitute for a proper medical hearing assessment

2. it opens the door to all sorts of unpleasantness of the "you can't hear the difference because you're deaf" kind.

3. in any case, there must still be a place in these discussions for general arguments about what humans are capable of hearing, as distinct from what a particular (usually middle-aged male) human can hear. For all I know, your hearing may be as pristine as that of a 15-year-old girl, but that's irrelevant when we're talking about what humans can possibly hear.

Matt

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Glacialpath said:

1. a self-directed online test of this kind is no substitute for a proper medical hearing assessment

2. it opens the door to all sorts of unpleasantness of the "you can't hear the difference because you're deaf" kind.

3. in any case, there must still be a place in these discussions for general arguments about what humans are capable of hearing, as distinct from what a particular (usually middle-aged male) human can hear. For all I know, your hearing may be as pristine as that of a 15-year-old girl, but that's irrelevant when we're talking about what humans can possibly hear.

Matt

Absolutely correct!

Chris

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Glacialpath said:

Matt

Have you had a go at the test? It's about what you can recognise with the differences in the sound and is exactly the kind of differences I can hear.

Only small minded people would then sit there and say "well you can't hear these differences because you are deaf" I for one would never say that. I'm sure other people on here don't like you to asume they would post such comments.

This test is not to settle any areguments. It would be nice just to get an idea how well people can actually hear differences.

I dare you to take the challenge now and see it through as far as you can go, or are you afraid you won't get very far? I'm sure you will do fine, it's very well put together.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Covenanter said:
matt49 said:
Glacialpath said:

Matt

Absolutely correct!

Chris

You too Chris you can't shy away from it now.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Although I can hear the difference I am struggeling with the what frequency has been cut/boost in the Golden Ears section. I also had a lot of trouble with the MP3 section telling the difference between the original and 160 bit rate and that's the least amount of difference they offer in that perticular test.

There was one in the Bronze I also struggled with. It's not that I couldn't hear a difference but which defference was I hearing. You can go back to the training and learn more and try again. I am learning about what frequencey change I'm hearing.

How ever I am in no doubt that when I say I can hear a difference between one Hi-Fi component to another be it a CD player, Amp or cable I know 100% I am! hearing a difference. I don't think there is another scientific test that will tell me otherwise.

Still happy to do the double blind test though.

Kamikaze Bitter

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Seems like a very easy test to me. Don't think 100% indicates golden ears - just that you are not completly deaf.

I use Linux and there are several ear trainer programs there - I use GNU Solfege - dunno if there are equivalent in the mac windows world, but they are much trickier, asking you to identify various harmonic and melodic intervals. You do need good pitch for that.

For what its worth, I think the golden ears stuff is nonsense. I have some freinds who have perfect pitch they are completly insesnsitive to the nuances hi fi quality, but do find a minutely off tune piano painful! In many ways its a curse.

Kamikaze Bitter

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Seems like a very easy test to me. Don't think 100% indicates golden ears - just that you are not completly deaf.

I use Linux and there are several ear trainer programs there - I use GNU Solfege - dunno if there are equivalent in the mac windows world, but they are much trickier, asking you to identify various harmonic and melodic intervals. You do need good pitch for that.

For what its worth, I think the golden ears stuff is nonsense. I have some freinds who have perfect pitch they are completly insesnsitive to the nuances hi fi quality, but do find a minutely off tune piano painful! In many ways its a curse.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
Covenanter said:
matt49 said:
Glacialpath said:

Matt

Absolutely correct!

Chris

I have a BUPA hearing test every year and my hearing is perfectly normal for someone of my age, which means I have lost a lot of the higher frequencies. I suggest that this is somewhat more accurate than some test that you can get on the internet! I did the first one posted out of interest and that was fine. I have no intention of doing another one that apparently takes hours, especially this week when I am revising for an exam!

Chris

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Glacialpath said:
Covenanter said:
matt49 said:
Glacialpath said:

Matt

Absolutely correct!

Chris

I have a BUPA hearing test every year and my hearing is perfectly normal for someone of my age, which means I have lost a lot of the higher frequencies. I suggest that this is somewhat more accurate than some test that you can get on the internet! I did the first one posted out of interest and that was fine. I have no intention of doing another one that apparently takes hours, especially this week when I am revising for an exam!

Chris

It's not that kind of test. (I am referring to the Philips link.) I am actually finding it very educational.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
How ever I am in no doubt that when I say I can hear a difference between one Hi-Fi component to another be it a CD player, Amp or cable I know 100% I am! hearing a difference. I don't think there is another scientific test that will tell me otherwise.

Still happy to do the double blind test though.

I wonder what you exactly have in mind when you say such a thing. Are you saying that a scientific test will prove you’re right, or are you saying that whatever the outcome is, you’re already pretty sure of what you’ve heard?

If you happen to take part in the London blind test (if it ever goes ahead) and you can’t detect differences between cables, what does this then mean to you? Would this not affect your current beliefs?

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Glacialpath said:
Covenanter said:
matt49 said:
Glacialpath said:

Matt

Absolutely correct!

Chris

Chris

Get it right chaps it's not about how good your hearing spectrum is or which frequencies you may or may not have lost it's only about our abilty to hear difference's in detail

Sure some people who have lost some frequencies will find some of it harder than others. I have tinitus in both ears but I have still managed to complete 90% of this test. Also one of my ears is slightly better than the other. I have lost some of the high frequencies in my right ear.

I can still though tell when there a farely subtle differences. A hearing test only tells you what frequencies you are capable of hearing not if there is a difference from one CD player to another.

Have you tried the test and how did you get before you could'nt progress any further

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts