Telephone connection for Sky HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have not subscribed to Sky for many years but am now tempted by Sky HD.

The subscription appears to require that the box be connected to a telephone socket for the first 12 months. My only telephone socket is a long way from my TV socket and equipment, and an extension lead is not possible.

Is there any other solution e.g. a wireless or remote connection?

daveh75

Yes see HERE.

Though tbh, if you dont intend using any of Skys interactive services,or ordering box office/PPV events it would be cheaper to pay Sky the one-off £25 charge for an NPL(no phone line) install.

A

Anonymous

You don't need a phone line. I've just had Sky+ HD installed and I'm in the same boat as you; phone socket a long way from my hi-fi kit. The engineer who installed Sky didn't even ask about the phone line during his visit, and didn't need to connect the box up to anything. As far as I can work out, all you need the phone line for is any pay-per-view/box office stuff, or if you have multi-room. Apparently, Sky occasionally check that the box is connected to a phone line by ringing it (or getting the box to ring them). I'm not too genned up on the multi-room business but as I don't have it, it's not relevant.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Seconded. I had Sky HD for 12 months. Installer told me that I dont need to connect the phone line unless I want to watch box office. From memory he connected it on first set up, but then disconnected it. I could however use the Sky Active stuff on the box to check my bills etc...

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
If you are already a Sky subscriber then there is no requirement to have the HD box connected to the phone line. They do require new customers to connect to the phone line for 1 year, but I must admit that I disconnected mine after a few weeks when I first subscribed 5 years ago. I never had any problems.

The idea of being connected was to tempt you to use their interactive services, but I have yet to find anyone who has bothered with that. As far as i can see the only use for the phone line now is to order Box office.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts