Technics SU-V500 Channel Question

Pyro_Adam

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I've recently aquired a Technics SU-V500 amplifier, the amplifier is currently powering a pair of 4 Ohm subwoofers all on channel "A" on both "L & R" therefore total loading of 8 ohms wired in paralel.

My question is on the rear of the amplifier it states: - "A or B 4-16 Ohms" and "A & B 8-16 Ohms" does that mean if I wire to A & B I require 8-16 Ohms per channel or total loading to the amplifier?

A secondary question is if the subwoofers can be powered on independant channels (therefore reciving more power) should they both be on the same L/R side?

This would be to prevent issues with the frequencices being out of phase (they share the same enclosure)

Thanks in advance!

The labelling is typical of amplifiers that can connect two pairs of speakers. Running just one pair, A or B, the amp can tolerate lower impedances. With 2 pairs, it cannot and therefore asks for at least 8ohm nominally rated speakers.

A isn't a channel. Nor is B. They represent pairs of speakers. Pair A, and Pair B

Left and Right are channels of the stereo signal. Each pair comprises two channels, one left plus one right.

I am unclear from your post what you are attempting with the two sub woofers. Do you want each to get the same mono signal, because that won't be the case with a stereo output? That's what you get from a sub-out on a cinema amp.

I imagine you want one to handle left channel bass, and the other the right channel bass? That is fine, but then if you use the second pair of terminals for the mid/high range speakers, the total impedance is likely to be too low, unless the higher range speakers are 16 ohms or more, which is unlikely.

I hope this helps a little, and welcome to the forum.

Pyro_Adam

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Yeah as I had thought a minimum of 8 ohms per speaker not pair, yes I'm planning on the same mono signal at present unless/until I plan on creating a new box(s) with seperate enclosures for each subwoofer. It's more of a bass orientated music setup than a cinema/AV setup (current subwoofer box is 5.5cu/ft tuned to 32Hz)

I'm thinking the cheapest short term option will be running 2 Y splitters to combine the output into the same signal.

TRENDING THREADS