Question Technics SL-1500 C and Grado prestige 1

AnalogSound

Mar 11, 2021
Visit site
Hi everybody,
I am new to this forum and i have a kind request of some help.
I recently (4 months ago) purchased the Technics SL-1500 C which comes with the Ortofon 2M Red thath i changed with a Blue stylus . The tracking ability of this cartridge is very good. But the sound is not what i expected. I own A Grado Prestige Red 1 for almost 10 years , that was used to my previous turntable which failed after 20 years of playing records with. The sound of the Grado is warm with crystal vocals. The only minus is that is a really bad tracker in the inner grooves. I have tried everything without succes(protractor etc.). Within 10 years i have changed 3 times the stylus because it was obvious from the sound by the end of its lifespan. So i have decided to try this Grado with a new stylus on my new turntable with a brad new technics headshell. I have adjusted it with 2 protractors(Stevenson and technics) VTA at the maximum height, weight 1.5 - 1.6 grams and antiskating the same. Well the sibilance was still there in teh inner grooves, but the quality of the sound went at the well known Grado sound. I prefer 100 times more the Grado warmth and clarity that the cd sound of 2M.
What can be done for the Grado to become a better tracker? Will a prestige 3 series be the solution as it is brand new design?
Because Grados are lighter than Ortofons,hould i use a weight on the headshell of 2 grams just to increase the total mass of it and to use again 1.5 gram? That i have assumed from this info about the 1500C:
  • Head Shell Weight: Approx. 7.6g
  • Applicable Cartridge Weight Range:
    [without auxiliary weight] 5.6 – 12.0g
    14.3 -20.7g (including head shell)
    [with auxiliary weight] 10.0-16.4g
    18.7-25.1g (including head shell)
Prestige
  • Weight: 5.5g
2M
Cartridge Weight - 7.2 g

Keep in mind that i use a digital scale for measuring the stylus pressure.
My question is whether a Grado Prestige 3 can be compatible with my Technics and play as smooth as it's supposed to do?
I am waiting for your replies..
Thanx in advance

AnalogSound

Mar 11, 2021
Visit site
Hello Al ears,
Thank you for replying to my post.So you think that the reason is the type of the stylus? So why on the same type that's on 2M Blue it's not the case? What if i use a Grado 8MZ stylus instead?
Which other cartdridge is equal in sound quality as grado and at the same time i keep the tracking force low and as well as the budget?
Thanx!

Hello Al ears,
Thank you for replying to my post.So you think that the reason is the type of the stylus? So why on the same type that's on 2M Blue it's not the case? What if i use a Grado 8MZ stylus instead?
Which other cartdridge is equal in sound quality as grado and at the same time i keep the tracking force low and as well as the budget?
Thanx!
I am afraid I don't have much experience with Grado cartridges, and it is issues like you mention that kept me away from them. Your problem could be down to the lowish tracking force, cartridge construction, and stylus type or possibly a combination of any of these. Unfortunately no cartridge is perfect. You appear to like the Grado sound and that's good.
I am not sure what your budget might be but I prefer cartridges from the Audio Technica range as 'all rounders' in the budget sector.
I note that the 8MZ stylus isnt cheap....

AnalogSound

Mar 11, 2021
Visit site
Thank you guys for your valued advice.my concern was not only the sound quality but as well as the heavy stylus pressure of 2g of the other cartridges. I know that is preferable to have a heavy and new stylus than a lighter and worn. I own records from the late 50's and most of them are near mint to good.I think depends on the quality of the material and not the stylus pressure . Whether is pure or recycled.
I will consider your advice.

Thank you guys for your valued advice.my concern was not only the sound quality but as well as the heavy stylus pressure of 2g of the other cartridges. I know that is preferable to have a heavy and new stylus than a lighter and worn. I own records from the late 50's and most of them are near mint to good.I think depends on the quality of the material and not the stylus pressure . Whether is pure or recycled.
I will consider your advice.
2gm tracking weight is not heavy but normal for many modern cartridges. You are less likely to damage vinyl with a 'heavy' cartridge that is tracking properly than a 'light' one which isn't.
Your late 50's vinyl is likely to be pure and we'll recorded, the mid 70's produced some of the worst vinyl.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi everybody,
I am new to this forum and i have a kind request of some help.
I recently (4 months ago) purchased the Technics SL-1500 C which comes with the Ortofon 2M Red thath i changed with a Blue stylus . The tracking ability of this cartridge is very good. But the sound is not what i expected. I own A Grado Prestige Red 1 for almost 10 years , that was used to my previous turntable which failed after 20 years of playing records with. The sound of the Grado is warm with crystal vocals. The only minus is that is a really bad tracker in the inner grooves. I have tried everything without succes(protractor etc.). Within 10 years i have changed 3 times the stylus because it was obvious from the sound by the end of its lifespan. So i have decided to try this Grado with a new stylus on my new turntable with a brad new technics headshell. I have adjusted it with 2 protractors(Stevenson and technics) VTA at the maximum height, weight 1.5 - 1.6 grams and antiskating the same. Well the sibilance was still there in teh inner grooves, but the quality of the sound went at the well known Grado sound. I prefer 100 times more the Grado warmth and clarity that the cd sound of 2M.
What can be done for the Grado to become a better tracker? Will a prestige 3 series be the solution as it is brand new design?
Because Grados are lighter than Ortofons,hould i use a weight on the headshell of 2 grams just to increase the total mass of it and to use again 1.5 gram? That i have assumed from this info about the 1500C:
  • Head Shell Weight: Approx. 7.6g
  • Applicable Cartridge Weight Range:
    [without auxiliary weight] 5.6 – 12.0g
    14.3 -20.7g (including head shell)
    [with auxiliary weight] 10.0-16.4g
    18.7-25.1g (including head shell)
Prestige
  • Weight: 5.5g
2M
Cartridge Weight - 7.2 g

Keep in mind that i use a digital scale for measuring the stylus pressure.
My question is whether a Grado Prestige 3 can be compatible with my Technics and play as smooth as it's supposed to do?
I am waiting for your replies..
Thanx in advance
i did the same bought a grado prestige III gold for it´s frequency range and with 1.8 grams of weight it sounds really good with a technics from 1976/79, the anti-skating to be perfect ,maybe because it is old it played perfect witrh a bit increase on the anti-skaing, before the 2.0grams, all tracks now play perfect, sorry for this old reply

TRENDING THREADS