Technics SL-1210 with no amp or mixer??

Bashyman

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Hi,
Hope someone can advise. I've got a SL-1210. Not sure what MK it is, but had it since new and bought around 35 years ago. Great condition for it's age.
I haven't got an amp or mixer anymore, but still have quite an extensive vinyl collection in the loft and ideally want to setup the turntable with just a set of speakers. A friend told me I could get a set of monitor speakers with a built in amp. Is this the case?
If so can someone advise the best ones to get. Don't have to be crazy quality as won't be hosting any parties (anymore ;-) ), and don't have a fortune to spend on them, ideally under £100

Cheers

WayneKerr

Hi,
Hope someone can advise. I've got a SL-1210. Not sure what MK it is, but had it since new and bought around 35 years ago. Great condition for it's age.
I haven't got an amp or mixer anymore, but still have quite an extensive vinyl collection in the loft and ideally want to setup the turntable with just a set of speakers. A friend told me I could get a set of monitor speakers with a built in amp. Is this the case?
If so can someone advise the best ones to get. Don't have to be crazy quality as won't be hosting any parties (anymore ;-) ), and don't have a fortune to spend on them, ideally under £100

Cheers
You ain't gonna get much with your budget. I don't think the Technics has a phono stage so you will need powered speakers with an integral phono stage to take the output from the turntable, or a separate phono stage connected to speakers. Powered speakers are not my area so can't advise much further.

Hi,

Cheers
Agree with Wayne your budget is a limiting factor. If it was just a amp we could advise a little better but active speakers isn't my field.

When was the stylus on the turntable last changed?

Reactions: WayneKerr

Bashyman

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Agree with Wayne your budget is a limiting factor. If it was just a amp we could advise a little better but active speakers isn't my field.

When was the stylus on the turntable last changed?
Don't know tbh. Hasn't been used in a few years. What kind of price would I be looking at for 'active speakers'? Is this what I'd be searching for?

Don't know tbh. Hasn't been used in a few years. What kind of price would I be looking at for 'active speakers'? Is this what I'd be searching for?
Any of the above will do. Again with concur with Wayne any cheap phono stage is essential to make the turntable work.

Chances are the stylus will need changing. Look at the make of cartridge and buy a stylus that matches, otherwise if it is knackered it'll be detrimental to the sound (distorted) and compromise the longevity of your vinyl records.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Thinking of you budget, if you have a set of wired ear or headphones and they would be sufficient, you don't even need speakers: just connect them to that Fosi preamp,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts