Technics C600 system - where’s the bass?

Andrew_M1

Apr 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

I’ve had a Sonos set up for a few years but wanted a decent Hifi amp again. I had a great Technics amp as a kid so when the C600 system came out I decided to go for it and bought both amp and speakers. I’ve not read a review about it that wasn’t gushing.

I’ve set this up in my modestly-sized living room, tuned it with the app, and can only say that so far I’m very disappointed. The mids and high frequencies are nice and clear, but the bass is at best flat, boxy or even missing. There is little or no difference between setting this to minimum or maximum, and the overall effect isn’t a patch on my Sonos Play Five. This cannot be right.

Has anybody else purchased this system? What are your experiences?

Andrew_M1

Apr 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi James,
I’ve found little difference before and after tuning.
Also, if I change the treble the change is noticeable. The bad barely changes if I slide it from min to maximum.
Connections all ok.

Gray

Seems like there's a specific problem with your bass.
Something which I doubt other owners will have experienced.
You say the speakers come with the Technics.
Have they got a single pair of terminals on each speaker?
If they're the type with links between 2 terminal pairs, the links are fully tightened down are they?

Reactions: Andrew_M1
Hi James,
I’ve found little difference before and after tuning.
Also, if I change the treble the change is noticeable. The bad barely changes if I slide it from min to maximum.
Connections all ok.
As a favour, try swapping + and - terminals on one speaker only. Turn everything off first. Then tell us how it sounds. (It won’t break anything, but it will be informative).

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
>>As a favour, try swapping + and - terminals on one speaker only. Turn everything off first. Then tell us how it sounds. (It won’t break anything, but it will be informative).<<

This, if your speakers are out of phase they will cancel each other out, think +5 + -5=0. You will hear a very wide stereo image with a void or hole in the middle. it will kill the bass.

>>As a favour, try swapping + and - terminals on one speaker only. Turn everything off first. Then tell us how it sounds. (It won’t break anything, but it will be informative).<<

This, if your speakers are out of phase they will cancel each other out, think +5 + -5=0. You will hear a very wide stereo image with a void or hole in the middle. it will kill the bass.
I deliberately didn’t say what to expect! But I’ve a hunch there’s a wire reversal somewhere.

Andrew_M1

Apr 7, 2023
Visit site
Thanks all

I’ll give it a go this evening.

to be clear: I’m switching + and - at one end only, so crossing them over from + to - on one speaker only? I’ve checked many times that the speakers are wired as they should be!

Reactions: nopiano
Thanks all

I’ll give it a go this evening.

to be clear: I’m switching + and - at one end only, so crossing them over from + to - on one speaker only? I’ve checked many times that the speakers are wired as they should be!
Yep, just at one end of one channel. Then listen to something you know, preferably with a clear bass line or beat. Then swap back. Then let us know the difference. :)

Andrew_M1

Apr 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi!

I've not really had the opportunity to play with this much as I had to go away for quite a while, hence the long silence.

The wiring was fine. I need new speaker stands and to set them up in the right position. My sweet spot, it turns out, is a couple of feet outside in the street!

So bottom line is I think they are fine, I just need to set them up right. Not having had a proper Hifi for going on 15 years, I had forgotten how to set them up properly. I have now ordered proper speaker stands and will finally get the chance next week to play with them. Also, I probably underestmated just how good my Sonos set up (a five and two ones in stereo around a modestly-sized room) actually was: not as high fidelity sound, but great spatial sound and bass around the whole room.

I'll report back when I have had some time with the speaker stands.

How do you find the amp? What speakers are you using?

Well....? @Andrew_M1
Did it work?

I only ask as I have purchased a C600 and have had no trouble at all with the bass.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Mission 772.
Bookshelf speakers. They must be over 20 years old. I bought them secondhand.

Today (28/5) I am about to demo some Klipsch R50m speakers.

I shall report back.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
I am very happy with the amp.

I like the way it interacts with my network. It's great to have all these apps pre-installed and those that aren't, there is always Chromecast.

Sound wise I am very happy. I always thought that I would need more power (hence the Klipsch. Greater sensitivity. More on that later.

As the Missions are over 20 years old. I thought that I would try something new.
The Klipsch fitted the bill.

Down to Richer (Croydon) for a booked in demo.
Source: Cambridge Audio CXN
Amp: Cambridge Audio AX35 (About the same power as the C600)

First up the Klipsch.
They sounded grea. Yes I would like a little more bass, but what do you expect from small speakers. Great with jazz and vocals.

Next up, the Missions.
The first thing I noticed is how inefficient they sounded compared to the Klipsch.
Up goes the volume and here we go.

Wow.. I have never heard my Missions sounding so good.
Why? Simple really. Instead of being a couple of feet apart. That were mounted on stands and a decent feet apart.
Compared to the Klipsch. They sounded less bassy. But besides that. There were practically little difference.

I decided to keep my Missions and will see about placement in the bedroom.

If I didn't have the Missions I would definitely have purchased the Klipsch.

Another point I realised was that I most certainly didn't need load of power. The Missions can go loud enough...... not party loud.

16852828500907177090900141781898.jpg

Andrew_M1

Apr 7, 2023
Visit site
Do you wanna let us know what speakers you have ?
I got the Technics SB-C600 speakers that are designed for the system. I was looking at some KEFs, but these had excellent reviews and are a nice size.

My speaker stands should arrive torrow, looking forward to some quality geek time!

Andrew_M1

Apr 7, 2023
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts