Technics 1500

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
It came 2nd to the winning Rega P8 - which is no disgrace, since the two decks were at opposite ends of the £1500 - £1870 tested group of six.
(And still only the opinion of one reviewer, unlike HFC group tests of old).
Thanks! I’d misinterpreted Michell‘s quote from the review to mean it had come top. Still, as you say, it’s still great value. Was the SL1210 last?

Reactions: Gray
Joint last with Mofi StudioDeck - with the proviso, when speaking of the group, that 'there's no bad turntable here' (and we would hope not given their prices).

He reckoned the bottom two had 'more to give from their basic spec' - but only by spending more (a better mat I think, in the case of the 1210GR :unsure:)
Thanks very much. There are supporters for all manner of different mats but that’s a rabbit hole I’m going to avoid at the moment!

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Reactions: WayneKerr

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks very much. There are supporters for all manner of different mats but that’s a rabbit hole I’m going to avoid at the moment!
the problem is new turntables being expensive without any qualitty compared to older turntables mainly from the 70´s,if theyn have a good cartridge and still exist substitution needles it will sound better but today one as to look very well to what they are selling i got three needles that are garbage till i found a brand that make them very similar to the older ones, the pro-ject ones we made the experiment to make one sound like it was an old turntable ,well between the turntable and the cartridge it costed 14.000€ which is too much in my opinion, i was using the worst turntable that i had but looked better than regular models from the same year the PL-ES from 74 pioneer ES-2000 system which is very similar to what they called ES-3000 ,only the furniture that came with it was diferent,it had the pc-30/pn-30n cartridge and stylus that i still had a new one in the box it came with the system with japanese characteres instruction manual, it was bought in japan and no one opened it

SteveR750

Matthew, did you / are you going to jump into the world of DD?
Like you I was a belt drive disciple for decades, largely having been dazzled (sucked in?) by the 80s Linn messaging. I bought a 1977 SL-1800 mk1 a year ago, and I have to say I love it. I'm just using the original technics 270C cartridge which is surprisingly good.
I also looked at the new 1500C and 1200 and would go for the higher spec version if I was in the marker, it has a better quality motor and electronics.
Fwiw I enjoy using the technics more than my old LP12, I don't mean it's sonically superior just that the linn was a pita to keep in optimum fettle.

Oxfordian

the problem is new turntables being expensive without any qualitty compared to older turntables mainly from the 70´s,if theyn have a good cartridge and still exist substitution needles it will sound better but today one as to look very well to what they are selling i got three needles that are garbage till i found a brand that make them very similar to the older ones, the pro-ject ones we made the experiment to make one sound like it was an old turntable ,well between the turntable and the cartridge it costed 14.000€ which is too much in my opinion, i was using the worst turntable that i had but looked better than regular models from the same year the PL-ES from 74 pioneer ES-2000 system which is very similar to what they called ES-3000 ,only the furniture that came with it was diferent,it had the pc-30/pn-30n cartridge and stylus that i still had a new one in the box it came with the system with japanese characteres instruction manual, it was bought in japan and no one opened it
The problem in stating that new turntables today are expensive but lack quality is that we will only know if the item has quality in a good many years time.

I have no reason to doubt that my P3 will still be spinning in 5, 10 or more years time. I am sure that were I to spend £3k on a new TT tomorrow from Pro-Ject, Rega, Origin Live or other respected brands I am sure that it will outlive me, there is no reason to say that it won't.

It is very easy to jump on the old is better bandwagon but none of us can say how HiFi we buy today will perform in the future or how it will last.

I suspect that many turntables bought today will last the test of time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts