Technics 1500

Yep, seriously thinking about buying one. Since owning proper hi-fi I've had nothing but belt driven tables. It's within a budget I would expect to buy for a turntable. How it compares to the Pro-ject I couldn't say without hearing both side by side.

The reason for choosing the 1500 over a 1210 is it looks less industrial going by pictures.

Yep, seriously thinking about buying one. Since owning proper hi-fi I've had nothing but belt driven tables. It's within a budget I would expect to buy for a turntable. How it compares to the Pro-ject I couldn't say without hearing both side by side.

The reason for choosing the 1500 over a 1210 is it looks less industrial going by pictures.
Not too sure what the internal difference are but if you dont need all the other irrelevant functions it seems to be a sound deck for the money.
That said an internal phono stage would put me off, unless you like that sort of thing.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
there both nice decks I ultimately went for a 1210 with a nag 150 and musical fidelity mx vynl. As I knew I’d woundering what if.

If you can swing the extra I’d go for 1200/10 of which you may find some offers as the mk2 version has just been released. And choose you poison in regards to phono stage and cart.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano
A built-in phono doesn't really appeal to me my current one is more than sufficient even given a uprated cartridge. The Ortofon Red 2M I don't really care for. Think a better AT or Ortofon Bronze or a Goldring 1042 will be a noticeable improvement over a Red.

A built-in phono doesn't really appeal to me my current one is more than sufficient even given a uprated cartridge. The Ortofon Red 2M I don't really care for. Think a better AT or Ortofon Bronze or a Goldring 1042 will be a noticeable improvement over a Red.
Yes, that’s the downside with a 1500 as bundled here in the UK. It’s definitely less cluttered on the surface, as it lacks the strobe and adjustment slider on the 1200/10. But it’s cluttered with an average cartridge and an un-needed phono stage.

When I got mine around the turn of the year there were bargains around, and the price rise hadn’t arrived. The prices still fluctuate on the 1200GR range. This dealer offers various bundles and open box deals.

Mine came from Superfi but the box was undamaged. @twinkletoes makes a very good point about the 2 version being imminent, so the older 1200 range might be reduced. There’s no sign of the 1500 getting the upgrade.

Yes, that’s the downside with a 1500 as bundled here in the UK. It’s definitely less cluttered on the surface, as it lacks the strobe and adjustment slider on the 1200/10. But it’s cluttered with an average cartridge and an un-needed phono stage.

When I got mine around the turn of the year there were bargains around, and the price rise hadn’t arrived. The prices still fluctuate on the 1200GR range. This dealer offers various bundles and open box deals.

Mine came from Superfi but the box was undamaged. @twinkletoes makes a very good point about the 2 version being imminent, so the older 1200 range might be reduced. There’s no sign of the 1500 getting the upgrade.

How does compare to your previous table?

How does compare to your previous table?
Well, it’s completely different to the Michell TecnoDec which I still have. That has a Rega arm and Shure cartridge, so really isn’t comparable in any meaningful way.

However, the Technics undoubtedly has a solidity to the sound, and a quietness to LPs which I’m sure is mostly thanks to the AT95ML cartridge, as well as the direct drive design.

It gives the impression it’ll last forever, though there were a couple of flaws:- the button that cancels the speed adjustment is slightly sticky, so doesn’t always ‘latch’; and the arm rest and lifter aren’t ideally aligned for easy handling. The arm lifter is adjustable, and I’ve got it tweaked well down from the factory setting. Also, there was a slight marking on the platter, almost as though it wasn’t polished accurately.

There are some pics in this thread, around post #85.

Well, it’s completely different to the Michell TecnoDec which I still have. That has a Rega arm and Shure cartridge, so really isn’t comparable in any meaningful way.

However, the Technics undoubtedly has a solidity to the sound, and a quietness to LPs which I’m sure is mostly thanks to the AT95ML cartridge, as well as the direct drive design.

It gives the impression it’ll last forever, though there were a couple of flaws:- the button that cancels the speed adjustment is slightly sticky, so doesn’t always ‘latch’; and the arm rest and lifter aren’t ideally aligned for easy handling. The arm lifter is adjustable, and I’ve got it tweaked well down from the factory setting. Also, there was a slight marking on the platter, almost as though it wasn’t polished accurately.

There are some pics in this thread, around post #85.
What I also like about the Technics is the notion of a removable headshell.

Reactions: WayneKerr
What I also like about the Technics is the notion of a removable headshell.
100%. That was a major factor for me. I felt quite clumsy when I fitted the Shure in the Rega.

Aging eyesight isn’t a great boon. I literally fitted hundreds of cartridges in my shop days, as very few turntables came with a cartridge. Nor a mains plug for that matter!

100%. That was a major factor for me. I felt quite clumsy when I fitted the Shure in the Rega.

Aging eyesight isn’t a great boon. I literally fitted hundreds of cartridges in my shop days, as very few turntables came with a cartridge. Nor a mains plug for that matter!
I'm one of the most ham fisted individuals around, with fingers made from butter, so not the most ideal person to fiddle with small screws etc.

Just been into Richer Sounds in Reigate. Had my first ever close up of a Technics 1500C. Nicely built and not DJey like the older models.

Not sure what material it's made from but the headshell feels well screwed together, as does the plinth and platter. The only thing that's slightly off putting is the bubble on the right hand side of the dust cover.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site

You cant get better i would say .All there turntables are very very good.

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
The 1210GR is now £1400 new delivered via eBay PP. The difference for the now £300 extra is worth considering. There's a direct review comparison online which you could read, should you wish.

The 1210GR is a great deck (I bought one). Technics do make great decks.

Gray

Technics make excellent decks.
They do.
I immediately fancied a 1500C when it first came out, but £900 seemed a bit much to me - probably only because my Thorens was £215 I think....but that was yonks ago 🙂

(I expected to see the 1210GR do a lot better than it did in the September HFC 6-turntable group test - ultimately only one person's opinion though).

No, if I needed a TT, I think I'd be happy with a 1500C, complete with its (supposedly decent) built-in preamp.

The 1210GR is now £1400 new delivered via eBay PP. The difference for the now £300 extra is worth considering. There's a direct review comparison online which you could read, should you wish.

The 1210GR is a great deck (I bought one). Technics do make great decks.
I'm sure it's a very competent turntable but looks too DJey for my taste and needs. I prefer the 1500 as it's more hi-fi than dance floor looking. Just my personal view.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
sorry for being late in this matter but i think i would have something to say like a Pro-Ject for the same price of the technics SL-1500 it would be a bad turntable in all that concerns to audio quality ,building quality ,also as refered the direct drive ,not having to change the belt with your own hands each time you want to hear a maxi-single or just a single .

The sound it´s much better and can be improved by buying a better cartridge and no need to spend more money in pieces that normally would come with any turntable but being pro-Ject is what it is .No information at all in the turntable it self .

So you can buy a turntable or a project of a turntable that will need some more parts or devices to put it working correctelly like the weight scale is missing and nothing more than bits of plastic and a sheet of MDF(litle one) with some wires , they try to make them look like a transrotor ,signture turntable thinking by the look people would think it might be similar but nothing more far from the truth .

As an example a german friend of mine that he is an audiophile since the 60´s and he tells me that he´s going to buy a Pro-Ject ,i told him , that no matter the money spent it will sound bad but he as a lot´s of money and i went to see his new Pro-Ject and it sounded great ,i was amazed by it and thought ,"maybe this aren´t that bad " but than he tells me that between the turntable and the cartridge he spent 14.000€ on it ,this to meet his 60´s and 70´s mostly good sounding turntables.

If one has lot´s of money it will get a good project of a turntable but if one has not that amount of money to spent in a record player ,the technics is the better option ,I myself have a SL-3310 that only took it from the box in 2018 or 17 with original cartridge and stylus a EPS-270ED or SD ,it sounds very good .

I have more turntables from several other brands mainly being from Pioneer or Technics from the 70´s ,i had the luck of being born on a family that enjoyed a lot listening to music or i wouldnt have half the components i own today

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts