Tech novice

jp1514

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello and thanks for having a read.

I have two problems that you could perhaps help me understand.My system is a 90's Technics 1060 model, I was listening to some Neil Young a few weeks ago before heading off to see him live and all was good. The next day I go to play the same tracks and the sound from both original 1060 speakers sounded dull / clouded / muffled / and there is no sound at all coming through the tweeters?Keeping in mind electronics is not my strong point I took the speakers to bits and everything looked OK but still sounded rubbish.So I hooked up a pair of old B&O speakers, unmatched to the amp (100w 6 Ohm amp v 30W 8 Ohm speakers), but they are keeping the sounds coming for now.What has happened? And while I was hunting for the replacement speakers I found an old Yamaha JA 1801 woofer cone stashed away and I'm sure it used to work but now it wont make a sound at all when hooked up to the Technics amp.I mean Neil Young is still playing so its not the end of the world and I had a bit of Band Of Skulls blasting tonight but I would love to fix these speakers.If you can help out then thanks for any advice or banter.Cheers,jp

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
jp1514 said:
Hello and thanks for having a read.

I have two problems that you could perhaps help me understand.My system is a 90's Technics 1060 model, I was listening to some Neil Young a few weeks ago before heading off to see him live and all was good. The next day I go to play the same tracks and the sound from both original 1060 speakers sounded dull / clouded / muffled / and there is no sound at all coming through the tweeters?Keeping in mind electronics is not my strong point I took the speakers to bits and everything looked OK but still sounded rubbish.So I hooked up a pair of old B&O speakers, unmatched to the amp (100w 6 Ohm amp v 30W 8 Ohm speakers), but they are keeping the sounds coming for now.What has happened? And while I was hunting for the replacement speakers I found an old Yamaha JA 1801 woofer cone stashed away and I'm sure it used to work but now it wont make a sound at all when hooked up to the Technics amp.I mean Neil Young is still playing so its not the end of the world and I had a bit of Band Of Skulls blasting tonight but I would love to fix these speakers.If you can help out then thanks for any advice or banter.Cheers,jp

Hi jp,

Is there any chance your hearing has been dulled by the live concert? Before making a judgement on your hi-fi, I'd wait a few days. I find that after a live concert my hearing is quite poor.

:cheers:

Matt

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
Hi jp,

Is there any chance your hearing has been dulled by the live concert? Before making a judgement on your hi-fi, I'd wait a few days. I find that after a live concert my hearing is quite poor.

:cheers:

Matt

Good point Matt , excessively loud music at a live concert can dull the hearing for a few days and can cause permanent damage .

I go to a lot of live music performances and I always take some musicians attenuating earplugs with me in case the music is too loud .

They give 19 dB of attenuation but do not spoil the sound quality , in fact it makes the whole experience far better usually :) .

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
I go to a lot of live music performances and I always take some musicians attenuating earplugs with me in case the music is too loud .

They give 19 dB of attenuation but do not spoil the sound quality , in fact it makes the whole experience far better usually :) .

I've just started doing the same. I must admit to having felt a bit of a plank at first, but it's worth it to preserve your hearing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts