Teac DAC and AAC/PCM problem?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've decided to go for the Teac UD-H01 (via USB from laptop) as part of my first seperates system. However, on reading the manual online (ultra-keen), I came across something slightly disturbing on page 9:

"The input indicator blinks when the input signal is not digital audio data or the format of the audio signal is not compatible with this unit such as AAC. If this happens, set the digital OUT setting of the connected device to PCM audio output".

1) Since most of my music is iTunes AAC, does this present a problem in terms of audio quality?

2) And, if applicable, how can I make W7 output PCM audio?

I have done some research, but can't find a satisfactory explanation or solution. Bit perfect audio is always a nice aspiration...

Cheers,

Matthew

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, especially for the AudioQuest guide. Good point about the AAC/bit perfect dichotomy...

However, I am currently downloading/ripping to WAV files (no HD stuff though) - so I would prefer my set-up to be at least a bit future-proof.

Therefore, is therefore anything I can do to maximise quality of iTunes 11 (Windows 7) sound output beyond:

- Disabling sound enhancements, EQ etc.

- Setting QuickTime to use WASAPI (although not sure if this changes anything in iTunes, since post-10.5 it no longer requires QT?)

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
I recently purchased one of these units and am just enquiring how are you finding the sound quality overall and do you feel that it needs a benificial run in time ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
john_caius said:
Therefore, is therefore anything I can do to maximise quality of iTunes 11 (Windows 7) sound output

Ummm... use Songbird instead?
smiley-wink.gif

I have to say that despite being a card-carrying Mac user – company-supplied MacBook Pro and iPhone 4, own iPad 3 and iPad Mini, and my wife has a 'plastic Mac' MacBook, iMac, original iPad, iPad mini and iPhone 4S – I'm no great fan of iTunes even on the Mac platform, and find it even more obstructive in Windows. I only use it to download podcasts and do the occasional update on one of the many devices.

Hmmm... that feels better!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
john_caius said:
Therefore, is therefore anything I can do to maximise quality of iTunes 11 (Windows 7) sound output

Ummm... use Songbird instead?
smiley-wink.gif

I have to say that despite being a card-carrying Mac user – company-supplied MacBook Pro and iPhone 4, own iPad 3 and iPad Mini, and my wife has a MacBook, iMac, original iPad, iPad mini and iPhone 4S – I'm no great fan of iTunes even on the Mac platform, and find it even more obstructive in Windows.

Hmmm... that feels better!

iTunes 11 can't have helped then. :)

A

Anonymous

Dermondo, afraid I haven't recieved my Teac yet, so I can't advise on SQ or burn in time (if applicable).

I know using iTunes is arguably incompatible with very good audio output - just trying to find the least of all Apple evils! I'll look into Songbird.

A

Anonymous

Dermondo, I'm about 20 hours in on the TEAC and am very impressed (although given this is my first seperates system, don't take that too seriously). I have noticed some improvement over the last 10 hours or so - but that's far more likely to be my new BX2 speakers than the DAC.

TRENDING THREADS