Tannoy XT vs Precision Series...

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

Have any of you had a chance to compare these speakers from Tannoy. I am looking for a floorstander (so XT6 XT8 vs Precision 6.2/6.4) and was hoping to get some sort of idea of the differences. The precison range at list are far more expensive as they are from the range above in the Tannoy portfolio, However, I assume these are soon to be replaced as there are lots of bargains on the precision series bringing the price to the same as the XT.

Which series would be more recomended?

Finally if anyone has any experience of these vs BW 683 S2 that would be great!

Many thanks to all in advance!

Mr beck

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi there I guess it all depends on your amp and source, I have marantz pm 8005 amp and I demoed the XT6/XT8 and the precision 6.2, after wrongly choosing a set of speakers.

I found the XT6 to be a great improvement on the TC6 tannoys, the sound stage opened up and bass levels had a much nicer warmth, and I was able to feel the bass on my body if that makes sense, whilst still sounding tight, as for midrange, that toned down nicely and i felt I was able to listen to most track at high levels, without the want to turn it down because of brightness. All in all the XT6 tannoys were a lovely sounding speaker in my opinion the front bass port made all the difference to bass levels.

I read loads of reviews about the precision 6.2 not being a great match for marantz but again actually listening for myself I was pleasantly surprised, my one snag was the rear bass port, I haven't got a great deal of room from the wall to the speaker (handbrake aka wife) nonetheless I felt the XT6 had a much better feel/warmth room filling to the bass and midrange sounding very nice on even high vocals than the precision 6.2. My ears didn't really notice much difference with the precision 6.2 from the DC6 tannoys, one small improvement was a cleaner smother midrange on the precision 6.2, but the bass didn't do it for me.

Now onto the XT8's wow wow everything changed here, I have a 17 by 15 foot room at home with Wooden floors and minimal furnishings so I wanted a speaker to over come this, and after hearing the XT8 I knew these where my speakers, straight out of the box the speakers sounded just how I dreamed of music sounding I'm not by any means a professional in music sounds but I had my dream and the XT8 were it. Again it all depends on your music source but mine is the na8005 and I have to say the music I hear through the XT8 is perfect. The bass filled every part of the room and sounds tight with no struggle with big bass tracks even turned up to 11 o'clock on the volume it's beautiful, the midrange is an absolute dream too, with nothing sounding like its screaming at me, I found that the midrange and bass run in harmony with each other if that makes sense, all the brightness issues I was having with my dc6t tannoys went away, I'm only 50 hours into run in time and the XT8 just get better. There is a wonderful three dimensional sound to these beauty's if I shut my eyes the centre stage is perfect i can hear different instruments coming from all around. Amazing sound. One small glitch with the XT8 they are very big speakers and need a fair amount of space.

In all this said my advice is to get your amp/source and demo these speakers for yourself, don't make the mistake I did and purchase speakers on reviews (dc6t tannoys) because everyone has a different want/dream to how sound should be heard.

I hope my novice advice helps you a small amount I'm sure some of the pros here will give you better insight but I guess it all helps.

Happy shopping my friend

David.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts