Brownrke

Nov 9, 2021
Visit site
Dear What hifi Forum Community!
Currently I own a Dali Oberon 5 stereo speaker pair.
Amp: Rega Elex-R
Sourxe: Cambridge Audio CXN

I would like to upgrade the speaker set for a better matching pair.
My nominees are
- Tannoy Revolution XT 6F
- Fyne Audio F501
- Quadral Chromium Style 6

I tend to choose the Tannoy over the others, because of it's clarity, spaciousness and because of it's shape - to reduce internal wave disturbance, but I would like to hear some opinions.

My room is ~20m2 and cannot pull the speakers too far away from walls and corners max 30cm.

Thank you for your hints and opinions in advance!

Shadders is right, unless you can actually audition any of these speakers then keep what you have as they are excellent speakers. However, if they don't sound good to you I would question why you got them and what is missing from the sound you have at the moment.
I cannot tell you what is best to buy and out of those I have only heard the Tannoy

Reactions: shadders

Brownrke

Nov 9, 2021
Visit site
Dear Shadders,
Thank you for quick response! Exactly, personal preference is the ultimate decision point. However where I live there is a limited opportunity to listen before you buy (close to none especially for the Tannoys). Therefore my goal is to collect as much info as possible and rely on reviews. Unfotunately for Quadral chr st 6 there is not much to find on the net. Usually this is no good sign but U never know when you will find hidden gem. Thanks again!

Reactions: shadders
Dear Shadders,
Thank you for quick response! Exactly, personal preference is the ultimate decision point. However where I live there is a limited opportunity to listen before you buy (close to none especially for the Tannoys). Therefore my goal is to collect as much info as possible and rely on reviews. Unfotunately for Quadral chr st 6 there is not much to find on the net. Usually this is no good sign but U never know when you will find hidden gem. Thanks again!
The Chromium series is readily available in the UK, however if you have difficulty auditioning any or all of these it may be worth sticking to something you can actually get to audition.
Buying based on other peoples opinion can often lead to disappointment.
What exactly is wrong with your current speakers?

Brownrke

Nov 9, 2021
Visit site
Shadders is right, unless you can actually audition any of these speakers then keep what you have as they are excellent speakers. However, if they don't sound good to you I would question why you got them and what is missing from the sound you have at the moment.
I cannot tell you what is best to buy and out of those I have only heard the Tannoy

@Al ears:
Oberon 5s are great and I love them. But sometimes I think they have limits. E.g.: stage is not always consistent. In some records stage is projected out of the speakers (Billy Jean - "don't think twice " shout from left corner is splendid). But in other cases ot is muddy. Depth is almost not sensible. And bass can run out of authority (Peter Gabriel - Red rain bass guitar chords could be more weighty). These I woukd like to improve. I am affraid of the 360 downfiring port of F501 could be too much base close to the wall.
Quadral chr style6's ribbon driver is intriguing but again it's a smaller speaker and maybe lack punch and authority. Hence I favor the Tannoy.

Reactions: Al ears

gasolin

Bright speaker (tannoy) https://www.stereophile.com/content/tannoy-revolution-xt-6-loudspeaker-measurements

620Tan6fig4.jpg

gasolin

@Al ears:
Oberon 5s are great and I love them. But sometimes I think they have limits. E.g.: stage is not always consistent. In some records stage is projected out of the speakers (Billy Jean - "don't think twice " shout from left corner is splendid). But in other cases ot is muddy. Depth is almost not sensible. And bass can run out of authority (Peter Gabriel - Red rain bass guitar chords could be more weighty). These I woukd like to improve. I am affraid of the 360 downfiring port of F501 could be too much base close to the wall.
Quadral chr style6's ribbon driver is intriguing but again it's a smaller speaker and maybe lack punch and authority. Hence I favor the Tannoy.

Better amp that can control them and better feet ? Isoacoustics gaia III ?

Heard Tannoy Precision 6.1 a few years ago. Excellent speakers in many respects but they do need careful partnering.

Looking at the OP's kit: Rega, very open and detailed (closest I've heard to my Leema). Cambridge has very similar traits.

Although similar tonal speakers can work I would look at balancing the soundstage out, with, perhaps a slightly smoother sounding amp, such as Yamaha AS 2100. Should work a treat with the Dalis.

Reactions: Brownrke

Brownrke

Nov 9, 2021
Visit site
Heard Tannoy Precision 6.1 a few years ago. Excellent speakers in many respects but they do need careful partnering.

Looking at the OP's kit: Rega, very open and detailed (closest I've heard to my Leema). Cambridge has very similar traits.

Although similar tonal speakers can work I would look at balancing the soundstage out, with, perhaps a slightly smoother sounding amp, such as Yamaha AS 2100. Should work a treat with the Dalis.
Thanks for this suggestion as well. I've checked this Yamaha quickly and based on the pure numbers it must be a solid beast. But it is way over my budget. Considering the sensitivity the 90dB of Fyne F501 can have the upper hand. Tannoy 89dB just a bit below, but it can make a difference, right?

Thanks for this suggestion as well. I've checked this Yamaha quickly and based on the pure numbers it must be a solid beast. But it is way over my budget. Considering the sensitivity the 90dB of Fyne F501 can have the upper hand. Tannoy 89dB just a bit below, but it can make a difference, right?
No, you won't notice any difference with just 1 db. What makes a bigger difference are the ohms. If one is 4 or 6 ohms and the other is 8 that could - I do suggest "could" - as it depends on whether a speaker can have a 'dip' in ohms. Every speaker is different.

When I had my old RS6s it had 90db with 6 ohms. My old 40 watt Arcam could struggle once it was cranked up. When I demoed PMC DB1i with 87 db but 8 ohms it didn't suffer the same issues. Had no real problems.

Your Rega won't have those issues, as it's more punchy with additional power and a cleaner current.

In my opinion it's more about getting that tonal balance right. If you can't afford the Yammy then look at a s/hand Arcam A39. Like the Yammy it'll work fine with any of the aforementioned speakers.

As others have mentioned, the only way you'll know for sure is to demo a few different brands.

gasolin

87-89 db sensitivity is normal, not low, every 100 watt pr channel amp should make 87-89db sensitive speakers play more than loud

Last edited:
I can only guess, mabye hegel but not a tiny low powered amp, above 100 watt pr channel in 8 ohm
Why would you need an amp above 100 watts, unless you want to pee the neighbours off? As I mentioned above my old A65+ was fine with RS6s unless you felt the need to crank it up loud, then it struggled.

But the 80 watt Leema has no issues, nor did the 85 watt Creek Evo 2 I had on home demo.

gasolin

Sometimes it just makes a difference having extra power,ability to control the speakers you have

It's like a car with more top speed than you need,even when you don't use it it just makes a difference having a power full engine

Some might have big mcintosh,krell, audio research amps with more than 2x200 watt in 8 ohm, not always because the have low sensitive speakers but to always have enough power for the bass (bass need alot more than you might think,imagine) and for loud and 100% clean music, often the more powerfull amp sounds best and can control speakers better than the same amp just in a lower watt version

If you choose a different brand with lower wattage it might be better at controlling the oberon 5, going up to a more power amp from the same brand should also give more control

Sometimes it just makes a difference having extra power,ability to control the speakers you have

It's like a car with more top speed than you need,even when you don't use it it just makes a difference having a power full engine

Some might have big mcintosh,krell, audio research amps with more than 2x200 watt in 8 ohm, not always because the have low sensitive speakers but to always have enough power for the bass (bass need alot more than you might think,imagine) and for loud and 100% clean music, often the more powerfull amp sounds best and can control speakers better than the same amp just in a lower watt version

If you choose a different brand with lower wattage it might be better at controlling the oberon 5, going up to a more power amp from the same brand should also give more control
You know as well as any that power doesn't necessarily equate to better sound. For everyday use the Rega Elex-R, with it's 90-odd watts per channel will have more than enough grunt and control to power any speaker around 6-8 ohms and 87 dbs.

Brownrke

Nov 9, 2021
Visit site
You know as well as any that power doesn't necessarily equate to better sound. For everyday use the Rega Elex-R, with it's 90-odd watts per channel will have more than enough grunt and control to power any speaker around 6-8 ohms and 87 dbs.
I agree with Platic Penguin. Before the Rega I have had a CA CXA60. And the stepup of the extra +15 W per channel was instantly audible. I have never turned up the volume knob over half state with Rega ElexR and I was already worried that the neighbours gonna come over with some "kind" words.
Rega provides totally enough power support for the Oberon5, that's for sure.
What I feel it can do more.

Brownrke

Nov 9, 2021
Visit site
Thank you guys All for the great support! I try to sort out an audition for the Tannoy, hope to be lucky! I have to bring over my AMP to be sure about system match. Fingers crossed!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts