Tannoy DC6T SE for Rock/Metal Music?

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I just sold my Wharfedale 9.5 & my options of replacement as follows: ProAc 140 MkII, MA RX8 & Tannoy DC6T SE.

The 140 is not available at this moment here & the price of RX8 here is too expensive (+/- GBP1,250.00), only DC6T SE left which I'm going to audition it this weekend.

Equipment as follows:

Audiolab 8200CD + 8200A (8200P to be added later for bi-amp)

Chord Chorus Reference Interconnect + Chord Odyssey Bi-Wire Speakers Cable

Russ Andrews Reference Powerkord w/ 350i Ag for the 8200CD & 320i for the 8200A

Music: 75% Classic Rock to Extreme Metal & 20% Blues, 5% Audiophile (for reading companion sometimes)

Question is which one is better the 140 MkII or the DC6T SE for my music using the above-mentioned equipment. The DC6T SE was the 2012 Winner up to GBP 1,500.00 & the 140 MkII at 1,650.00, in my opinion (as a beginner) there won't be a significant difference in sound quality. My listening room is around 2.75 x 3 meters.

Looking forward to hearing some comments or suggestions from you all. Thank you.

Br, Dave S.

Mutsu

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dave,

I have a similar setup to you (MDAC as digital pre - 8200P - Tannoy DC6T SE). The MDAC and CDQ was designed by the same person and from what I hear are similar in their sound signature.

I auditioned quite a lot of speakers ranging from £500-£1500 and settled on the Tannoys.

They were the only speaker that sounded exciting and neutral (Still have bass) at all volumes.

Regards the RX8, I had the RX1s previously and found them too bright with some music. After auditioning the RX6/8 I found they sounded the same with a little more bass, very clear sound but still too bright for my tastes and in my opinion is more suitable towards dance music than rock.

I listen to most genres of music, but quite a lot of metal, and find the Tannoys perfect.

Best thing to do is listen yourself though :)

Steve

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I would try and get a home demo. That room is pretty small and most floorstanders need a bit of space around them, some may have too much bass for your room size?

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Mutsu said:
Hi Dave,

I have a similar setup to you (MDAC as digital pre - 8200P - Tannoy DC6T SE). The MDAC and CDQ was designed by the same person and from what I hear are similar in their sound signature.

I auditioned quite a lot of speakers ranging from £500-£1500 and settled on the Tannoys.

They were the only speaker that sounded exciting and neutral (Still have bass) at all volumes.

Regards the RX8, I had the RX1s previously and found them too bright with some music. After auditioning the RX6/8 I found they sounded the same with a little more bass, very clear sound but still too bright for my tastes and in my opinion is more suitable towards dance music than rock.

I listen to most genres of music, but quite a lot of metal, and find the Tannoys perfect.

Best thing to do is listen yourself though :)

Steve

Have you had the chance to audition KEF R500/700/900?

How are they compared with Tannoy's

Thanks

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
dsuciato said:
I just sold my Wharfedale 9.5 & my options of replacement as follows: ProAc 140 MkII, MA RX8 & Tannoy DC6T SE.

The 140 is not available at this moment here & the price of RX8 here is too expensive (+/- GBP1,250.00), only DC6T SE left which I'm going to audition it this weekend.

Equipment as follows:

Audiolab 8200CD + 8200A (8200P to be added later for bi-amp)

Chord Chorus Reference Interconnect + Chord Odyssey Bi-Wire Speakers Cable

Russ Andrews Reference Powerkord w/ 350i Ag for the 8200CD & 320i for the 8200A

Music: 75% Classic Rock to Extreme Metal & 20% Blues, 5% Audiophile (for reading companion sometimes)

Question is which one is better the 140 MkII or the DC6T SE for my music using the above-mentioned equipment. The DC6T SE was the 2012 Winner up to GBP 1,500.00 & the 140 MkII at 1,650.00, in my opinion (as a beginner) there won't be a significant difference in sound quality. My listening room is around 2.75 x 3 meters.

Looking forward to hearing some comments or suggestions from you all. Thank you.

Br, Dave S.

I have to say, I think you will encounter bass problems in a room that small. I used some Rega R1's in a room around 8ft square and even those had some issues, that were only cured with extensive position experimentation.

I would advice a home demo before you buy though, at a minimum.

Something like the Spendor SA1 may be worth a look within your budget. ATC SCM7, Spendor S3/5R2 and Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic a bit under budget as well.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
My room is 17x11 feet I would not consider floorstanders in it, because they willl haveto be about 1 foot away from the wall but not near corners. I have just tried out Rega RS1s and to be honest found them very disappointing and a bit boomy, the B&W CM1s were better (more open) but a bit bass heavy.

Mutsu

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
L00k_C said:

Yes, I auditioned Kef R500 and they were my second favorite. Just didn't sound neutral enough at lower volumes for me, and the Tannoys edged it.

If the Tannoys and the Kefs were the same price, I would have thought about the decision a little more and perhaps done somre more listening of just those to speakers vs each other. The Kefs are basically in another price bracket, £500 (50%) more than the Tannoys, and there were more pros about the Tannoys for me at least.

If I had bought the Kefs, I think I'd still be very happy with them. But every time I liston to the Tannoys I have no regrets - I think they sound great with all the types of music I listen to (Something my Monitor Audios couldn't do before them).

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you ALL for the inputs. I'll audition the DC6T SE this weekend, unfortunately the store here won't let me take it home for audition.

Yes, I also aware that low frequencies might a problem in my small room, however I'm gonna put some dampers also small bass trap in the corners, hopefully it'll minimize it. I prefer floorstand than bookshelf speakers :)

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Mutsu said:
L00k_C said:

Yes, I auditioned Kef R500 and they were my second favorite. Just didn't sound neutral enough at lower volumes for me, and the Tannoys edged it.

If the Tannoys and the Kefs were the same price, I would have thought about the decision a little more and perhaps done somre more listening of just those to speakers vs each other. The Kefs are basically in another price bracket, £500 (50%) more than the Tannoys, and there were more pros about the Tannoys for me at least.

If I had bought the Kefs, I think I'd still be very happy with them. But every time I liston to the Tannoys I have no regrets - I think they sound great with all the types of music I listen to (Something my Monitor Audios couldn't do before them).

Thanks. I have a small issue with bass ofn the Kef's myself but unfortunately I haven't (and cannot hear) the tannoys...

I like KEF's midrange. How is midrange compared to Tannoys?

Mutsu

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
L00k_C said:
Thanks. I have a small issue with bass ofn the Kef's myself but unfortunately I haven't (and cannot hear) the tannoys...

I like KEF's midrange. How is midrange compared to Tannoys?

From what I remember, the Kefs midrange was probably slightly better than the Tannoys. They sounded amazing played very loud, but I never play my music very loud due to living in a block of flats.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
if you do go for the tannoys then be aware that they are priced with hefty margins on at the moment and there should be room for negotiation. Some hifi stores are offering bulk deals such as the dct6se + arcam a19 for 1245 or the roksan k2 for 1345 effectively knocking 300-400 off the rrp.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I did not like the Tannoys much and purchased the MA RX6s instead.
I also have the Audilab CD player and Rega Brio R which makes a great system..
I would not say the RX6s are bright ,just detailed and poor recordings can make them seem that way.

Mutsu

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Lo Fi said:
I did not like the Tannoys much and purchased the MA RX6s instead. I also have the Audilab CD player and Rega Brio R which makes a great system.. I would not say the RX6s are bright ,just detailed and poor recordings can make them seem that way.

This is why it's so important to audition before buying.

I bought the Brio-R without an audition and going on opinions online. I really liked it verses my old amp and it added much needed bass, but I just felt something was missing - I wanted more detail. So auditioned a lot of different systems and found that the Rega sound (Especially the Brio-R) was not my taste, it seemed to colour the sound too much for my liking, especially in the top end (Which is why it didn't sound as bright on my RX1s vs current system).

I did enjoy the Brio-R with a lot of different music, but it didn't perform how I wanted it to with other genres. I do sometimes wonder what a rega system would sound like with my current speakers though, been tempted to do a demo but I'm quite happy with my current system... Got the swapping bug ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts