Taking the Sonos plunge !

clerics

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So do I go for a Sonos solution and plug the Sonos amp into my PMC DB1i 's and then run a couple of Player 5 or 3 elsewhere with a Sonos Connect into my main Naim system ?

Or do I go the Naim streamer multi room route and use my ND5XS with the Naim Server and a Unitiqute or two elsewhere ? It just seems a hugely expensive option compared to the Sonos plan .

I may have got some of the specific kit names wrong but you get my drift !

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
clerics said:
So do I go for a Sonos solution and plug the Sonos amp into my PMC DB1i 's and then run a couple of Player 5 or 3 elsewhere with a Sonos Connect into my main Naim system ?

Or do I go the Naim streamer multi room route and use my ND5XS with the Naim Server and a Unitiqute or two elsewhere ? It just seems a hugely expensive option compared to the Sonos plan .

I may have got some of the specific kit names wrong but you get my drift !
If you like to have album artwork I would look into artwork problems with sonos before you buy as I have been frustrated trying to get artwork

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I don't have any problems with artwork on my Sonos. Why are you having problems? What's your system like?
Hi BB I have a sonos connect with a bridge I am using a macbook pro as my source I have only got at the most 5% of my artwork I have no problems with the art work on itunes it just didn't transfer to the sonos ap and to be honest I would rather use my itunes as all artwork and features the sonos sounds ok but the artwork problem has realy put me off I am not realy into computers and how programs work I just love my music and am getting lazy I thought that playing music from my pc would give me more listening scope :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
toyota man said:
bigboss said:
I don't have any problems with artwork on my Sonos. Why are you having problems? What's your system like?
Hi BB I have a sonos connect with a bridge I am using a macbook pro as my source I have only got at the most 5% of my artwork I have no problems with the art work on itunes it just didn't transfer to the sonos ap and to be honest I would rather use my itunes as all artwork and features the sonos sounds ok but the artwork problem has realy put me off I am not realy into computers and how programs work I just love my music and am getting lazy I thought that playing music from my pc would give me more listening scope :)

You don't have a problem with Sonos then, you have a problem with iTunes. Apple, as usual, decided NOT to implement the standard protocols for artwork and instead store it in their own proprietary database, end result is, not much else outside the Apple ecosystem can see the artwork. Do it properly and Sonos will see the artwork perfectly ok.

Oh, word of warning, I've got a headache and I'm in a foul mood, so I really wouldn't argue the toss with me right now. On the upside, I'll be fast asleep in half an hour so you'll be safe enough if you leave it for an hour or so...

wattone

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Bigboss

does tuneup put the artwork into itunes so that it shows up on the sonos then?

i have all my artwork shown in itunes that's purchased and ripped but only about 20% show up on the sonos iPad app

my music is stores on a wd nas

thanks

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Clerics,

If it were me I'd get a sonos connect and try that out before going the more costly naim route.

I did a lot of research before I bought mine, even listened to one of the naim streamers.

The way I saw it was that if tha sonos wasn't as good as all the reviews I'd transfer it to a spare room.

That wasn't necessary, I'd say it's one of my most stand out HiFi purchases.

I just re-ripped the music I wanted to listen to in flac to get the extra detail.

TRENDING THREADS