Taking HD plunge (big style).- advice needed.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well big for me!

I have finally decided that within the next 2 months I am going to replace my home cinema kit. I’ve had my existing (non-HD) kit for around 6 or 7 years now. Maybe more!

It currently consists of a 42” Panasonic plasma telly (just a monitor really) with a separate digital tuner. I think I paid about £3500 (still shudder at thought) for it when I got it. I can’t remember the model number but it was a what hi-fi 5-star product at the time and still delivers a fantastic picture but I want better and having seen some HD sets I know it can be achieved.

To partner it I have a 7 yr old Sky box, a Yamaha DSP AX630 amp (SE maybe?), a Panasonic recordable dvd player (cant remember model number) and a nice Mordaunt Short speaker set (906i floor standers, 905i centre, 903i rears and a 309i sub, connected via gale bi-wire cable). I picked up the amp and the speakers from richer sounds for a bargain £500 (along with a Toshiba dvd player which is now gathering dust under my bed)

So after much soul soul searching, web browsing, review reading and deciding I can live with my existing car for another year I had more or less decided on the following:-

TV – Pioneer LX5090: Wanted one of these for a long time and with a stand I can pick one up for about £1800. Oh and a Sky HD box for £50.

Amp – Really fancy the Pioneer LX81 (seen at £1320). It seems to do everything brilliantly and looks beautiful to boot. Although Amazon are selling the Onyko SR876 for £720. And my mind wonders whether the LX81 is twice as good?

DVD Player – This is where it gets a bit more vague. I originally really fancied the matching LX71. In fact that is probably what I will go for. And I can get the LX81/71 combo for £1750. A lot of money but together with the pioneer telly would make a great pioneer threesome (I imagine). However I have had my head turned by the Denon 2500BT (available for £680). Then again if i go for something like the Onyko SR876 amp am I wasting my money getting the Denon or Pioneer and would something cheaper suit? (say the Panasonic DMP-BD55, which can be had for £350-£400). Are you confused yet?

So in summary the constants are

The TV which i wont budge on unless someone tells me of a better 50” telly (& stand) for less than £1800

sky hd box £50.

oh and a Atacama stand for 50” TV (about £350)

A total of £2200.

So the variables are

LX 81/LX71 combo – additional £1750.

LX81/2500BT – additional £2000. (which may be better but may not look as good and is it £250 better?)

SR876/DMP-BD55 – additional £1100

I will be using the kit for watching movies 95% of time. I have a separate HI-fi which I use for Music, but it wouldn’t hurt if the amp/dvd played music as well (but it’s a nice to have, not a deal breaker)

Before I leave I have one other area to consider If I’m spending over £4k (or even £3k) on a TV, a Amp and a blu ray dvd player, will my existing speakers be up to the job?

If yes , great. If not, damm! However I really fancy the Dali Ikon 6.5.1 set. But cheapest i have seen them is £2100. But If I need them i need them and will buy them. But that will push my outlay up to £6k.

And before i stop spending i realise I will need some HDMI cables. How many will I need and what would be a good one to match systems above?

I will spend the cash if I need to but if I can get nearly as good performance for less then that appeals to the Yorkshire man in me J.

Thank you for reading my epic. Any comments welcome.

Dave

A

Anonymous

This probably wont help too much but the Pioneer duo do look great together if your planning on buying the Atacama stand like you say will look great on that! As far as the Denon 2500 i think you can get it for £589 from TLC if thats any use but also seems a few good second hand prices i picked one up yesterday that was only 3 weeks old with receipt for £450.

A

Anonymous

Sorry half asleep should have said TLC Broadcast. Normally have good prices on the Pioneers aswell i think.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Sounds a great system to me the amp and players are WHSAV Award winners 5-stars no less, all i would say is you could save £200ish on the pioneer Blu-ray player, go for the Pioneer FD-51 this is advertised at £299.95[sorry cant say which HiFi Mag it is in,] this is the same Player as the LX-71 PQ and Sound Quality are the same, however the 51 does not have gold plated Phonos nor touch sensor Buttons thats about it, as for the HDMI Cable the Van Dun Hull flat is the current award winner again 5-stars, also the Chord Silver Plus is a worthy cable as well, this was last years cable on choice, either of these will serve you well, all the reviews are on this very site, as for the speakers i have no knowledge of them, if you can try to get a demo, but if you have already seen and heard them thats good, maybe the What HiFi team can throw some light on these speakers, but as a system it is a fantastic one you lucky so and so.

Enjoy
emotion-11.gif

Andy

A

Anonymous

I use the vdh flat x2 only thing i will say is that i didnt find it the most flexible but then the hdmi connection on my tv is a little harder to get to than some just what i found anyway.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback. TBH I think i am leaning towards the Denon 2500, if i can get it for < £600 which seems likely.

I may just keep my existing speakers. It makes the final bill far more palitable. Maybe change them in 12 months if i feel the need (and still have the money).

I am just very excited about getting the lx5090 and seeing the picture via a top end blu ray player.

A

Anonymous

You should buy an LG Blu-ray player, a Panasonic av receiver and a Toshiba 52Z3030D tv. It will be much better than that Pioneer rubbish. Honestly. I'm not just trying to get you to buy rubbish just because I'm jealous...

A

Anonymous

credit crunch? what credit crunch? Are you really Edinburgh Fred (the shred) in disguise as Barnsley Dave?

[oooh - little bit of politics....]

A

Anonymous

Little bit of politics?

is that ben elton in disguise?

Well the mrs has pointed out to me that for that kind of money we could have 2 weeks in a 5-star all-inclusive hotel in the carribean, with a room upgrade, a flight upgrade and god knows what else.

Ah yes i pointed out but will it match watching band of brothers on top rated blu ray kit?

She seemed to think it would. Strange creatures, women!

A

Anonymous

A mate of mine has the LX81 / 71 combo (awesome) and I have the LX5090 (equally awesome). You really can't go wrong there.

A

Anonymous

I really want to buy the LX81/LX71 Combo. My only niggling concern (apart from the large amount of $$$ the amp costs) is that the LX71 dvd player doesnt cater for DTS HD master Audio.

Dont know if there is even an issue there or if it can be updated later, as i understand an upgarde is on its way.

Anyone know?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts