Taken for granted?

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Do you think you get so used to how your system sounds that you almost take it for granted?

The reason I ask is that last night I sold my Ruark Epilogue IIs, I was playing Hey Now by London Grammar when the buyer arrived and he was blown away by the sound, after about 10 seconds of listening he said "that sounds absolutely amazing I'll take them"

My system is pretty modest and whilst I think it sounds good I didn't expect such a reaction. It's not as though the buyer is used to crap either as he told me his main system is Quad and Linn and my Ruarks are for a second system.

Maybe hifi is like sandwiches, other peoples always taste better than yours? lol

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
Do you think you get so used to how your system sounds that you almost take it for granted?

The reason I ask is that last night I sold my Ruark Epilogue IIs, I was playing Hey Now by London Grammar when the buyer arrived and he was blown away by the sound, after about 10 seconds of listening he said "that sounds absolutely amazing I'll take them"

My system is pretty modest and whilst I think it sounds good I didn't expect such a reaction. It's not as though the buyer is used to crap either as he told me his main system is Quad and Linn and my Ruarks are for a second system.

Maybe hifi is like sandwiches, other peoples always taste better than yours? lol

Maybe he just liked the sound of the Epilogue II's?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't really known anyone else into HiFi who could help me put my own opinions into perspective by being impressed or otherwise. My brother thinks he's into HiFi, but what he's really into is boom and tizz. He hasn't heard my current system but I suspect he'd find it boring unless I whacked the sub up to stupid levels. The only other person I known who at least thinks he's into HiFi has a 1990s Technics MIDI system which he thinks is high end.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Gaz37 said:

I think what happens is that we get very used to the sound and that can mean we run the risk of getting bored with it. For that reason, I run two systems that not only sound very different to each other, but when I swap components between systems, the sound changes again. I find swapping components for the hell of it means I never get bored with listening. As far as the sandwiches analogy goes, I suppose I like different fillings in mine.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I don't know to many people with hifi stuff either. An uncle has ultra high end gear but I rarely see him.

A friend has a real good set up and showed it off with an Ennio Morricone CD one day. When we tried it on mine we were both surprised how well my modest system held up, considering it was probably 1/5th the price or less

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I don't really known anyone else into HiFi who could help me put my own opinions into perspective by being impressed or otherwise. My brother thinks he's into HiFi, but what he's really into is boom and tizz. He hasn't heard my current system but I suspect he'd find it boring unless I whacked the sub up to stupid levels. The only other person I known who at least thinks he's into HiFi has a 1990s Technics MIDI system which he thinks is high end. 

I'm in a similar position.

My father was quite into hifi but is now 87 and his hearing isn't great. My wife thinks it just sounds "loud" and my brother in law firmly believes his Bose desk speakers are the ultimate in sound quality.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I'd find your system boring too.

As for taking your system for granted: of course you should! It's there every day. It's not going to go away. It's not going to ask you for anything apart from a small amount of elctircity and maybe a new stylus tip or valve from time to time. Forget about the system. Just get on with enjoying the music you play though it.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
A classical vinyl collector with approaching 5000 albums using Naim amplification and electrostatic speakers has invited me to a listening session when I get time. That should be interesting!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
lindsayt said:
MajorFubar said:

No real need for a comment like that.....

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
A classical vinyl collector with approaching 5000 albums using Naim amplification and electrostatic speakers has invited me to a listening session when I get time. That should be interesting!

Think twice before taking that invitation! Life probably won't be the same anymore afterwards...

When I first listened to a pair of Quad ESLs, it took me days to get over the experience. And weeks before I enjoyed my own gear again. You are warned... *blum3*

insider9

DocG said:
jonathanRD said:

Think twice before taking that invitation! Life probably won't be the same anymore afterwards...

When I first listened to a pair of Quad ESLs, it took me days to get over the experience. And weeks before I enjoyed my own gear again. You are warned... *blum3*
Is that how you ended up with Maggies? I've yet to hear electrostatics but considering your comments will wait until I can afford a pair, first.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
"MajorFubar wrote: I don't really known anyone else into HiFi who could help me put my own opinions into perspective by being impressed or otherwise. My brother thinks he's into HiFi, but what he's really into is boom and tizz. He hasn't heard my current system but I suspect he'd find it boring unless I whacked the sub up to stupid levels. The only other person I known who at least thinks he's into HiFi has a 1990s Technics MIDI system which he thinks is high end."

I bet your system sounds the absolute dogs bollocks compared to many of the haters on here. Let them wallow in their self righteous ignorance. they know who they are. I need not mention any names! ;-)

shadders

luckylion100 said:
"MajorFubar wrote: I don't really known anyone else into HiFi who could help me put my own opinions into perspective by being impressed or otherwise. My brother thinks he's into HiFi, but what he's really into is boom and tizz. He hasn't heard my current system but I suspect he'd find it boring unless I whacked the sub up to stupid levels. The only other person I known who at least thinks he's into HiFi has a 1990s Technics MIDI system which he thinks is high end."

I bet your system sounds the absolute dogs bollocks compared to many of the haters on here. Let them wallow in their self righteous ignorance. they know who they are. I need not mention any names! ;-)
Hi,

Am i one of the haters ?. I am not sure. You said that they know who they are - but unless you name them, then we are all possibly in the dark ?

I am not a supporter of cryptic clues, as there is always ambiguity - and since we are not told how many letters, it makes it much worse.

Regards,

Shadders.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
lindsayt said:

No real need for a comment like that.....
Well it's true. And I'm only criticising the sound of your system. It's not as if your system is going to go off in a huff because I've said a harsh but true thing about it. You can take it for granted that your system doesn't care if it's taken for granted or deeply loved or is psychologically bullied. It's only an inanimate hi-fi system.

...And maybe your brother would find your system boring because it is boring. Nothing to do with him liking "boom and tizz". Everything to do with your system being what it is: a boring sounding system. Some people would call it smooth. I'd call it boring. Put whatever spin you want on it. Makes no difference to the actual sound of your system. It is what it is.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
No I don't view you in that regard at all.

You're opinionated and very knowledgable, I respect that. In fact in the past I've acknowledged that I've learnt from your posts. Sometimes I believe you push an issue a little too far but none of us are perfect, myself included. You are always respectful and polite, more than I can say about myself.

I just find it amusing that when certain people post like the Major above, almost instantly certain people appear out of the woodwork and post sarcastic comments that are unwarranted and rude. We all know why that 'boring' comment was made, it's to do with ownership of a certain brand of speakers, And before it's suggested I don;t believe it was said in a tongue in cheek manner. Sadly I've reached the point where I respond in kind as I would face to face. I admit it's not pleasant for others to read so I will attempt to refain from reacting to such comments in future.

I enjoy much on here, feel I've learnt a lot and even with my limited knowledge and experience in the hobby hope that sometimes I can offer others advice on subjects I have personal experience of..

I'm not sucking up to anyone, it's not in my nature but I enjoy Ellisdj's, Gazzip's, Insider9's and Muljao's input, all from different perspectives and budgets. Shadders I simply try to keep up with your contributions, most of it is way over my head.

What I dislike is the almost tangible ill feeling and veiled hostility that I'm increasingly finding myself replying to in kind.

I hope that answers your question? Perhaps I should have just said no I wasn't referring to you.

shadders

luckylion100 said:
No I don't view you in that regard at all.

You're opinionated and very knowledgable, I respect that. In fact in the past I've acknowledged that I've learnt from your posts. Sometimes I believe you push an issue a little too far but none of us are perfect, myself included. You are always respectful and polite, more than I can say about myself.

I just find it amusing that when certain people post like the Major above, almost instantly certain people appear out of the woodwork and post sarcastic comments that are unwarranted and rude. We all know why that 'boring' comment was made, it's to do with ownership of a certain brand of speakers, And before it's suggested I don;t believe it was said in a tongue in cheek manor. Sadly I've reached the point where I respond in kind as I would face to face. I admit it's not pleasant for others to read so I will attempt to refain from reacting to such comments in future.

I enjoy much on here, feel I've learnt a lot and even with my limited knowledge and experience in the hobby hope that sometimes I can offer others advice on subjects I have personal experience of..

I'm not sucking up to anyone, it's not in my nature but I enjoy Ellisdj's, Gazzip's, Insider9's and Muljao's input, all from different perspectives and budgets. Shadders I simply try to keep up with your contributions, most of it is way over my head.

What I dislike is the almost tangible ill feeling and veiled hostility that I'm increasingly finding myself replying to in kind.

I hope that answers your question? Perhaps I should have just said no I wasn't referring to you.
Hi,

Thanks. I asked as I have challenged some areas relating to your brand of Hifi. I generally learn a bit more if someone does respond.

Regards,

Shadders.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
jonathanRD said:

When I first listened to a pair of Quad ESLs, it took me days to get over the experience. And weeks before I enjoyed my own gear again. You are warned... *blum3*

I am on leave next week, so I might try to arrange a visit - curiosity simply overrides any fears *smile*

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Living in hubris and thinking that your system is better than it really is, is sort of the opposite of taking your system for granted.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
DocG said:
jonathanRD said:

I am on leave next week, so I might try to arrange a visit - curiosity simply overrides any fears *smile*

Yes! That's the spirit!

(and then start saving...
devil_smile.gif
)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
...I just find it amusing that when certain people post like the Major above, almost instantly certain people appear out of the woodwork and post sarcastic comments that are unwarranted and rude. We all know why that 'boring' comment was made, it's to do with ownership of a certain brand of speakers, And before it's suggested I don;t believe it was said in a tongue in cheek manner. Sadly I've reached the point where I respond in kind as I would face to face. I admit it's not pleasant for others to read so I will attempt to refain from reacting to such comments in future...
Who was it rude too? It's like you have so much vested emotional interest in your hi-fi system that you see any accurate assessment of your system (that happens to be less than complimentary) as rude.

What sort of nonsense is this? Insult my hi-fi system = insult the owner?

It's a hi-fi system. It's not you. It's not your wife. It's not your children. Your hi-fi system doesn't care what I say about it. It's a hi-fi system! It has no thoughts or feelings whatsoever!

If we extend this logic then I am rude to myself on a fairly regular basis as I have published plenty of critical comments about hi-fi that I own!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
DocG said:
jonathanRD said:

Is that how you ended up with Maggies? I've yet to hear electrostatics but considering your comments will wait until I can afford a pair, first.

Well yes, sorta. My first eye opener when looking for new speakers were the Maggie 1.7s. Those were physically too big though. And the MG12s just didn't cut it. I tried all kinds of other types of speakers, including Avantgarde horns, Duevel omni's, actives (ATC, Avantgarde Zero, Adams, ...); all had their virtues... But in hindsight, I was most impressed with those Quads -- which were too big too though.

Hence the current solution, smaller Maggies, with an active XO. Very pleased so far, and still waiting for my Rythmik subwoofer to arrive...

insider9

DocG said:
insider9 said:
DocG said:
jonathanRD said:

When I first listened to a pair of Quad ESLs, it took me days to get over the experience. And weeks before I enjoyed my own gear again. You are warned... *blum3*

Well yes, sorta. My first eye opener when looking for new speakers were the Maggie 1.7s. Those were physically too big though. And the MG12s just didn't cut it. I tried all kinds of other types of speakers, including Avantgarde horns, Duevel omni's, actives (ATC, Avantgarde Zero, Adams, ...); all had their virtues... But in hindsight, I was most impressed with those Quads -- which were too big too though.

Hence the current solution, smaller Maggies, with an active XO. Very pleased so far, and still waiting for my Rythmik subwoofer to arrive...
Thanks DocG! Yes I've heard that if you like electrostatics nothing else compares. Your setup by the way is impressive and quite unique. I've seen pics on another thread and Maggies look great.

But the one thing I can't get my head round is how'd you get that dog to wear a suit? :biggrin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts