Taken for granted?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
lindsayt said:
muljao said:
lindsayt said:
I'd find your system boring too.

No real need for a comment like that.....
Well it's true. And I'm only criticising the sound of your system. It's not as if your system is going to go off in a huff because I've said a harsh but true thing about it. You can take it for granted that your system doesn't care if it's taken for granted or deeply loved or is psychologically bullied. It's only an inanimate hi-fi system.

...And maybe your brother would find your system boring because it is boring. Nothing to do with him liking "boom and tizz". Everything to do with your system being what it is: a boring sounding system. Some people would call it smooth. I'd call it boring. Put whatever spin you want on it. Makes no difference to the actual sound of your system. It is what it is.

Just so there is no confusion I made the comment about your comment, it wasn't the person who you said you would find their system boring.

Of course you can say what you like, and no, a hifi won't get in a huff. People obviously post here because they are enthusiasts, and have spent their money on their interest, so to just jump in and critisize I think is unnecessary, but of course it is a forum and on a computer and on the interwebz digs don't matter. If one was in a debate with another about the good and bad about setup's I'd think it was more acceptable. Just my opinion

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
To recap; MajorFubar said: "...My brother thinks he's into HiFi, but what he's really into is boom and tizz. He hasn't heard my current system but I suspect he'd find it boring unless I whacked the sub up to stupid levels..."

That may well be rude and insulting to his brother. His brother may have a well tuned ear when it comes to hi-fi and may nor simply be into "boom and tizz". The reality is that Majorfubars system IS relatively boring. Anyone describing it thus would be using an apt and accurate description. This is the main point I was trying to make with my "boring" comment.
Also "Boom and tizz" is an oft repeated Ashley James marketing phrase which he uses to slur all passive speakers in his efforts to try to brainwash the people on his forum that the lack of bass extension and upper midrange bite in AVI actives is a good thing.

In post #15 luckylion waded in with "I bet your system sounds the absolute dogs bollocks compared to many of the haters on here. Let them wallow in their self righteous ignorance. they know who they are. "

For one this is ironic because he's accused me of wallowing in ignorance in the same paragraph that he's indirectly said that MajorFubar's system would sound much better than mine. And yet luckylion has never heard my speakers! Whilst I have heard DM10's with a sub vs my 2nd or 3 rd favourite speakers that I own! This is rude and insulting to me. Calling me ignorant when I'm not - especially in the same paragraph that he makes an ignorant statement.
He has also used an oft repeated Ashley James marketing strategy where anyone criticising AVI in any way - regardless of how truthful and accurate and well justified the criticisms are - is labelled as a "hater". This is siege mentality marketing. Calling people who criticise AVI as "ignorant" is also siege mentality marketing. It's a marketing method used by Ivor Tiefenbrun in the 1980's where the marketing strategy was "If you can hear any flaws in the product, the problem isn't in the product it's in you!" I think that's a nasty and unethical marketing technique to use against anyone with fair and valid criticisms.

I would also like to reiterate that my "I'd find it boring too" comment was insulting (for someone wishing to label a simple statement of fact that is critical as "insulting") to an inanimate object: a hi-fi system. Whereas luckylions "Let them wallow in their self righteous ignorance" was insulting to me, a human being with thoughts and feelings.

A question I would like to ask luckylion in response to post #18 is: do you think it's acceptable to make up a lie about someone on this forum that undermines their credibility on a hi-fi forum - and to then refuse to apologise for publishing such a lie?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Seems things get a bit heated in all forums from time to time.

Insults shouldn't happen. The internet has changed the way people interact with one another.

Pity, cos everyone on a forum generally share a common interest

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Nothing wrong with criticising something, especially if it comes from personal experience.

As always and with everything on here, banging on about it is pointless and will cause the inevitable.

Everyone one of us feels somewhat personal about our hifi's. Take it on the chin.

If I'd had a quid for every time someone said Cyrus is unreliable, harsh, bright, unlistenable (take your pick or choose all) I'd be listening to an Audio Research system now.

Who cares.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
Nothing wrong with criticising something, especially if it comes from personal experience.

As always and with everything on here, banging on about it is pointless and will cause the inevitable.

Everyone one of us feels somewhat personal about our hifi's. Take it on the chin.

If I'd had a quid for every time someone said Cyrus is unreliable, harsh, bright, unlistenable (take your pick or choose all) I'd be listening to an Audio Research system now.

Who cares.

Not you obviously, if you're still using Cyrus :) :) :) :)

Gaz37 said:
Do you think you get so used to how your system sounds that you almost take it for granted?

The reason I ask is that last night I sold my Ruark Epilogue IIs, I was playing Hey Now by London Grammar when the buyer arrived and he was blown away by the sound, after about 10 seconds of listening he said "that sounds absolutely amazing I'll take them"

My system is pretty modest and whilst I think it sounds good I didn't expect such a reaction. It's not as though the buyer is used to crap either as he told me his main system is Quad and Linn and my Ruarks are for a second system.

Maybe hifi is like sandwiches, other peoples always taste better than yours? lol

I think you become familiar with the sound after a period, but I wouldn't call it 'taking it for granted'. Unless you have regular access to other systems I think it's natural that it's over familiar. Personally I still have a respect as it performs beyond its price point.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
muljao said:

Insults shouldn't happen. The internet has changed the way people interact with one another.

One of the biggest problems with written communication is the lack of intonation, it's so easy for a question or response to an answer to appear argumentative when that isn't how it was intended.
For example is somebody posts that x sounds better than y, a reply of "how can it?" could be interpreted as derisory when it was a request for more information.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
To answer the OP, I do sometimes forget how good (to my ears, and with my budget) my hifi can sound - with some tracks being absolutely stunning.

What always brings a smile to my face, and gives me one of those "I am a lucky boy" moments is when my mate comes over for a listening/drinking session. He has a wireless, single bluetooth speaker at home. My set-up blows him away every time.

Is it the best system ever assembled? Hardly. Is it even a very good system? Probably not. Does it make my hairs stand on end from time to time, and cause a crazy-faced inane grin? Yep, it does. A lot.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
muljao said:

One of the biggest problems with written communication is the lack of intonation, it's so easy for a question or response to an answer to appear argumentative when that isn't how it was intended.
For example is somebody posts that x sounds better than y, a reply of "how can it?" could be interpreted as derisory when it was a request for more information.

This also is very very true. I've even re-read questions or comments I've made here myself on this forum and thought, jeez ,that sounds rude and argumentative, when it edit definitely wasn't intended

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
Is it the best system ever assembled? Hardly. Is it even a very good system? Probably not. Does it make my hairs stand on end from time to time, and cause a crazy-faced inane grin? Yep, it does. A lot.

And that's all that matters.
Even better when that feeling is reinforced by somebody else saying "wow" when they hear it.

shadders

chris_bates1974 said:
To answer the OP, I do sometimes forget how good (to my ears, and with my budget) my hifi can sound - with some tracks being absolutely stunning.

What always brings a smile to my face, and gives me one of those "I am a lucky boy" moments is when my mate comes over for a listening/drinking session. He has a wireless, single bluetooth speaker at home. My set-up blows him away every time.

Hi,

That is possibly tetanus. You may want to go to the doctors.

Regards,

Shadders.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
chris_bates1974 said:

Funny that. I don't have any friends, male or female which are even remotely interested in hifi.

I also can't imagine just sitting there silently with a bloke, next to each other on the sofa and listening to music ... .

They'd likely would all be more impressed with a Mu-so or something likewise cute with glowing bottom lights ... .

Hifi is for Nerds.

I feel your pain.
Most people I know are the same, "why do we need all those seperate boxes and big ugly speakers when an Iphone with a wireless speaker does the same thing?"

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
chris_bates1974 said:

Funny that. I don't have any friends, male or female which are even remotely interested in hifi.

I also can't imagine just sitting there silently with a bloke, next to each other on the sofa and listening to music ... .

They'd likely would all be more impressed with a Mu-so or something likewise cute with glowing bottom lights ... .

Hifi is for Nerds.

It's not quite sitting silently, just listening. We take turns to suggest music, and then the conversation flows.... punctuated every now and then by a few minutes silence when something really special comes on. But yes, none of my other mates are bothered at all.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:

Hifi is for Nerds. - It ranks up there with stamp collecting, train spotting and bird watching although my guess is the last one has a much, much larger following.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:

Who cares.

Harsh? bright? unlistenable? - You must get that excess earwax syringed out of your ears.

regards tonky

shadders

Hi,

I am not sure it is taking your system for granted. People into hifi seem to be analytical, examine their sound and exchange views, and this perhaps makes them question their own system and try and find fault.

I have had the same speakers for the past 20 years and have been very happy listening to the sound that they produce.

The amplifiers have changed, the CD and DVD player changed - and the changes are minimal compared to any change in speakers.

As others have stated, when other people hear your system, who may have a midi - they are quite impressed by a good hifi system.

It is very easy to be caught up in upgrading, searching for audio nirvana, which may never exist for yourself.

Regards,

Shadders.

Samd

..but I also think familiarity is slightly different to taking something for granted. Many's the time where a track has 'been done to death' on both radio and home system - "how did I ever enjoy listening to that?" Same with the hifi kit methinks. I reserve listening generally to weekend evenings so every 'session' is great.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
@Cno

Do you not think that people use that as an excuse and therefore breeds contempt?

Hi PP, I hope life is treating you well.

IMO The initial impression of being "blown away" by your new toy fades as you get used to the new level of sound you are getting ie. As you start taking it for granted. The buzz you get with a new purchase is addictive, so when you think your system starts sounding "ordinary" (to your own ears), you get a strong urge to get back that initial euphoria....so you end up chasing the "Pot of Gold" at the end of the rainbow.

One way to stop this vicious circle in its tracks (imo), is to take a break from your system for a few weeks...and when you put it on again, that "wow" factor is magically back. It seems to recalibrate your ears.

The other way is go to a Hifi show and hear a lot of very expensive systems that sound worse...though this can backfire if you hear something astounding.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I remember when I bought a cheap pair of used JPW Sonatas. Mint condition cabinets but 'borked' tweeters that I replaced with NOS Audax TW010F1s. The Sonatas and new tweeters (and soldering) came to only £51 in total and totally blew away my Rega R3s. (Made the Regas sound like they had duvets wrapped around them!)

It took me another two years to get that sorted out. (Admittedly one of those years was spent not giving a flying 'fug' about hi-fi due to a lot of hospitalisation and operations and recovery time and then more stays in hospital and another operation ... )

I've still got the JPWs as spare speakers and the R3s were sold on in late 2015. Took a while to find anything significantly better than the JPWs but then I found the Audio Notes which are superb.

(Still looking to get AN-Ks or mint / used Snell Ks or similar one-day.)

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
@Cno

Do you not think that people use that as an excuse and therefore breeds contempt?

Hi PP, I hope life is treating you well.

IMO The initial impression of being "blown away" by your new toy fades as you get used to the new level of sound you are getting ie. As you start taking it for granted. The buzz you get with a new purchase is addictive, so when you think your system starts sounding "ordinary" (to your own ears), you get a strong urge to get back that initial euphoria....so you end up chasing the "Pot of Gold" at the end of the rainbow.

One way to stop this vicious circle in its tracks (imo), is to take a break from your system for a few weeks...and when you put it on again, that "wow" factor is magically back. It seems to recalibrate your ears.

The other way is go to a Hifi show and hear a lot of very expensive systems that sound worse...though this can backfire if you hear something astounding.

Really good thanks Cno.

Back on topic. Do you mean like this?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
is for nerds, no wonder I don't fit in! ;-) Hope some of my cool rubs off around here... Best indicate jest, so another ;-)

Just knowing that hi-fi web forums exist (let alone belonging to one) means any cool you used to have has long gone.

Sorry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts