Tacima cs929 Mains conditioner query

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Might be related, though I suspect not likely, but if I plumb my sub into the receiver output whilst the receiver is on, and a source (let's say CD) is also switched on (and both plugged into the same Tacima or Belkin surge protector) then the sub goes into a low rumble mode and I can only stop it by turning it off. This also happens if I connect the interconnect with those source and receiver switched on. I've noticed when this happens I can get a tiny static electricity shock from the interconnect terminals or the subwoofer output (depending on which I connected last).

But. If I connect the interconnects/subwoofer etc up with everything plugged into the mains, BUT with the power switch turned off (so the earth is still active, but live/neutral is not), it seems to solve the problem. I presume this allows any unwanted standing electricity to bleed away safely before any signals are carried between devices.

This doesn't happen with my 90's Marantz stereo amp, or my 70's Yamaha stereo amp, where I can connect and disconnect interconnects as I wish with no problem.

Might be worth a punt...

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Aquafitter:

Mmmm all very intersting......

There does seem to be a pattern emerging!

My plasma on scart with dvd player and interconnect = hum

Your plasma on hdmi with cd player and interconnect = hum

Plasma seems to be the common link and the biggest offender as it seems to have the most effect?

Try changing plug positions? Put dvd/cd tv and amp on the one tacima? Maybe the tacima is creating a slightly different ground potential than with a standard block? Is that why the tacima seems to accentuate the problem?

Hmm interesting. I've just tried pluggin the plasma and cd player in to my standard 4 way surge protector block and the hum is mostly gone...though is still slightly there with the volume turned up to 12 o'clock position. so hasn't got rid of it completely but is better certainly. i also tried it with both plasma and cd player in the same tacima and again the hum is certainly reduced..though a little louder than when i tried the standard 4 way. which didn't surprise me from earlier findings.

the only problem is that if i wanted to have them both in the same power block as a permanent fix i'd have to get a longer mains cable for the cd player. was thinking i'd be upgrading all the mains cables to the clearer audio copper-line alpha's somewhen anyway.

something else i'd be interested in trying is the IsoTek Mira. Wonder if this will help? not sure if it will isolate the plasma when plugged in to it.

A

Anonymous

Glad to hear you are slowly but surely tracking down the problem :)

I've been doing more experimenting myself and seem to be getting similar results to you.

I found that with the dac:

dac and amp on same standard block = no hum

dac and amp on same tacima = no hum

dac on tacima and amp on standard block = hum

And with the tv/dvd:

tv and amp and dvd player on same tacima = no hum

But as soon as the amp is put on a different block the hum starts when the interconnects are in.

But unfortunately the amp does not sound as good on the tacima :(

Yea the mira sounds interesting but then it seems these pesky ground loop hums can start with any receiver/amp+ plasma/dvd/cd/dac etc combo when any one of them is on a different block and especially when some are on tacima and some are not or as in you case different tacima's?

The plasma however does seem to like to be one of the main players in creating hum.

Better to isolate the amp instead of the plasma? But then i suppose finding an isolation block that will give the amp sufficient power is going to be pretty expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts