T5P headphones and CD6004 or 8200CDQ system?

MartinT

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all...newbie here, so please be gentle! ;-)

I've recently pulled the trigger on a pair of Beyerdynamic T5p headphones, which should be with me shortly. I bought them mainly because I listen to a lot of music on iPod, but appreciate that the iPod is never going to get the best out of them. I was considering getting a Marantz CD6004 player, so that I could listen directly to my large collection CDs, but I've seen many great reviews for the Audiolab 8200CDQ. Problem is of course, the Marantz is about £260 and the Audiolab about £900. So, the question: is it worth saving up my pennies for the 8200CDQ, to really do justice to the T5p headphones, or would the Marantz be the way to go for good performance - all be it not as good - at less than a third of the price?

I should add that I like the all-in-one package of the CD6004 and 8200CDQ, and would not want to go down the CD player and separate amp route. Also, I wouldn't be connecting to speakers (well, not in the near future at least). I tend to listen to folky, acoustic type music and classical, although with a bit of rock thrown in here and there, so should that influence on my choice?

Many thanks for your help with this,

Martin.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't got those headphones, I have the AKG 702s, but I do have the CD6004 and PM6004 (driving KEF Q500s). The only negative thing I can think to say about my whole system is that I find the headphone output on the CD6004 somewhat "lifeless". The headphone output on the PM6004 is by comparison brilliant. So with my headphones if I were going the speakerless route and if I bought the CD6004 I would also buy a separate headhpone amplifier.

I hope that is useful.

Chris

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
For those types of headphones I'd definitely be looking for a dedicated headphone amplifier. I really don't think the built in headphone section of most CD players is really going to do justice to some high quality headphones.

Alternatively you could consider a combined DAC/headphone amplifier and use your computer or any other digital source (including a cheap CD player).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts