system upgrade advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my current Technics all-in-one from 2001 to the following which i've been offered for £50 (sellers says system has hardly been used and rears were never opened, no subwoofer though):

The speakers are these: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-ho...aker/sa-vs300h (max power 150w, impedence 8 ohms for all, frequency 120Hz-50kHz for all, sensitivity 81dB).
Here's the manual with more info: http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/2059556212.pdf

The av receiver is a Harmon Kardon 2550 AV receiver which can handle the following:

Five-Channel Surround Modes; Power Per Individual Channel

Front L&R channels:
40 Watts per channel,
@ < 0.07% THD, 20Hz–20kHz into 8 ohms

Center channel:
40 Watts, @ < 0.07% THD, 20Hz–20kHz into 8 ohms

Surround channels:
40 Watts per channel,
@ < 0.07% THD, 20Hz–20kHz into 8 ohms

Input Sensitivity/Impedance
Linear (High Level) 200mV/47kohms

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (IHF-A) 95dB

What do you think? Is that a good deal and would they be an improvement on my current Technics speakers (will list spec if it helps)?

If i did get the Sony speakers would a more powerful av receiver (100w rather than only 40w per channel) produce better sound?

Obviously i'll still need a decent subwoofer as these only go down to 120Hz, any recommendations?

Let me know what you think.

A

Anonymous

so what do you think guys? good upgrade, bad upgrade or should i go for something else?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Your link shows a 'HCIAB' on the Sony site which includes a sub.

If the package is purely speakers with no amp, I wouldn't buy it.

If you pay £50 for these 'main' speakers then factor in the cost of a subwoofer (cheapest in the review section of this site is £200) then you've paid £250 for your set up.

If you check the 'style speaker package' reviews you'll be able to buy a complete set of speakers for £250 which will match tonally etc.

If you're interested in a complete package then check the reviews under the Home Cinema in a Box section. There are some there for £200 which include amplification, speakers and source. This includes the LG HT902HB system which has speakers that are a similar style to the Sony.

HTH.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts