System rack.....

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
hi guys i have A NAD C352 amp. C542 cd player and a pair of Monitor audio BR5 im using chord crimson interconnect with Black rodium bi-wire cable also a tacima mains block and black rodium mains cable... Im looking to get a decent rack what do you suggest and do they really improve sound quality...thanks

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i used to have my kit on my tv's cabinet stand and was happy with it. then, i got sky and needed another shelf, so i got an atacama equinox av, purely for the extra shelf - i wasn't expecting to really notice any difference in performance. the difference wasn't at all subtle. maybe in isolation, each small improvement wouldn't have meant much, but everything improved and so the difference was huge. i don't know if you would get such a big improvement as my floor is quite uneven and so some of the improvement will be down to the components now being level. but in my experience, yes a decent rack can make a big difference.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
hi mate thanks for reply yep i was thinking atacama it has great revievs do you know if there are any others to consider of similare price.

A

Anonymous

I second that! I have both Atacama Equinox AV TL and Pro SE stands and they are phemoninal make such a difference from the Ikea stuff I've used in the past.

Partington do some for a similar amount but I didn't think they seemed as sturdy.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
robg1976:hi guys i have A NAD C352 amp. C542 cd player and a pair of Monitor audio BR5 im using chord crimson interconnect with Black rodium bi-wire cable also a tacima mains block and black rodium mains cable... Im looking to get a decent rack what do you suggest and do they really improve sound quality...thanks

Go for looks and practicality. Racks really don't make a huge difference. As long as its not too wobbly its fine. Then place the thing outside any part of your room where bass/vibrations are most obvious. Glass/wood or whatever ... its splitting hairs. Be sensible and spend cash where it makes a difference (yes that does include cables but I would'nt go overboard there either). If the rack you like happens to be expensive, why not. You have to look at the contraption every day and it'll likely outlive a few changes elsewhere. TT supports obviously benefit from proper decoupling and levelling.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Funny odd thing this vibration issue. I'm no expert but i've used a lot of different stuff and have both a reasonably expensive 4 tier glass/metal rack (which collects/shows dust like a magnifying glass shows head lice on the average school sprog, thats why it is in the garage, the rack that is) and a dirt cheap unit from argos, which I prefer the look of and use presently. No difference. Then you have manufacturers such as naim which apparently mount the speaker terminals and power cable terminal on their amps loose as to minimize cable induced vibration. I dont understand the concept of it but I would have thought that reducing vibration in an amplifier, if it does anything at all, perhaps helps imaging and clears up frequency extremes (i'm not talking about speakers here, thats another issue) ... all not exactly strong points of the brand though they have other virtues some people like. Odd.

A

Anonymous

Build one! (http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html)

Here's mine.

2457604650_d23aa015cd.jpg

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
My kit was on the floor for a while and I was happy with it.

Then I bought a rack. Wow! What an amazing difference. Tighter and more pronounced bass, sharper midrange. Heard loads of things in the music I hadn't heard before. Probably one of the biggest upgrade differences I've ever heard, I was astounded.

By the way I had it made by hifiracks.co.uk for £280 including carriage, solid oak, 5 shelves, solid shelves rather than the funny tripod he advertises. Nice fella too. Properly impressed throughout.

Mind you I can't ever upgrade again as my kit fits the shelves perfectly.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Sounds very very nerdy but it does make a difference, can be quiet suprising how much control it gives a system on a good rack.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
A couple of years ago one of the mags, I think it was hifi world, did a test on how susceptible players/DAC's are to floor and air borne vibrations. If memory serves well they used a cambridge audio dacmagic or something similar from the period, a mid/late nineties player and a modern one. What they found if I remember correctly, was that the old player/dac was indeed prone to changes in measurements when subjected to vibrations (The way they did is was to fire large speakers from close proximity directly at the players).

No such changes with the newer players which showed no differences in measurement. Now I still have the mag somewhere and am happy to dig it out if someone wants to know the complete/accurate story but you probably get the jist from the above.

I am not saying its not worth investing in a good rack or nice piece of furniture to place components on/in but this vibration issue has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Common sense with regards to placement is often enough plus not everyone wants something resembling a miniature version of the lower part of the eiffel tower or a multi storey car park in their living room.

You could be really clever though and get something such as AVI's ADM9 in which case you won't need a rack at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts