System arrived....and now?!? :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Alessandro,

I wouldn't get too obsessed with biwiring, for now I'd put any spare money you have into component additions, such as the Sonos, rather than on more cables ;) Did your speaker arrive?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Hi Alessandro, I wouldn't get too obsessed with biwiring, for now I'd put any spare money you have into component additions, such as the Sonos, rather than on more cables ;) Did your speaker arrive?

I definitely agree with you...indeed my next purchase is the Sonos ZP90 and play3 (maybe play 5) for the bedroom :D

Not yet, the guy called me and he's coming in the next 15 minutes...updates will follow!!! :dance:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
And here it is!!!!!! :cheers: Now it's connection time!!! :rockout:

Now...each cable speaker has a red/black orientation I imagine...the part of the cable with the red stripe on a side goes into the red terminal I suppose, correct?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Arghhhhh, I underestimated the lenght of my sidewall...need to run and buy some more cable for the second speaker... :wall:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Wow guys...this new system is just AMAZING!!! Can't stop of playing the Smooth Jazz channel in Accuradio...was in the bathroom and looked like a real orchestra was playing in my living...superb!!!

Is there any great song I can play to enjoy the quality of my new system?

Thanks again and it's all your fault!!! :cheers:

If any of you should come to Brussels anytime soon, let me know! :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
It good to hear you like it. It's a great system you've got there, those Monitor Audio RX6's are a excellent speakers.

Enjoy. :rockout:

acalex said:

Heve you tried Spotify yet? There's plenty of songs to chose from there. :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
It good to hear you like it. It's a great system you've got there, those Monitor Audio RX6's are a excellent speakers.

Enjoy. :rockout:

acalex said:

Heve you tried Spotify yet? There's plenty of songs to chose from there. :)

Thanks a lot! What do you think about the ampli? Is a German brand,not very known but to my ears (not experienced) it sounded more powerful than the Arcam and Marantz (same price level) and of a bigger Denon also.

I was thinking to try Spotify Premium, especially because I would like to buy the Sonos ZP90 soon and build a multizone system...! What I meant is there is any particular song which is "complex" enough to fully enjoy those great speakers?
Thanks!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
IME initially you'll get more enjoyment listening to your favourite music, to discover how much more of it you can hear through a decent system.

Yes indeed this was the first thing that impressed me so much! I was listening to Layla unplugged version by Clapton and I could hear any single string of his guitar playing...and it was just awesome. Also the smooth jazz channel by Accuradio is fantastic and makes a perfect background music for the hours I spend at my pc working...and checking this great forum every now and then :shhh:

steve_1979 said:
This is the normal way to connect speakers.

Amp1.jpg

This is bi-wired.

Amp2.jpg

This is bi-amped.

Amp3.jpg

Well done, Steve. A picture is worth a thousand words!

Surely this diagram was in the OP's speakers' instructions....? And if it wasn't it should have been.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Nha, there was nothing like this in the speaker's instruction manual unfortunately...thanks again for the great help provided by posting this diagram...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
acalex said:
Nha, there was nothing like this in the speaker's instruction manual unfortunately...thanks again for the great help provided by posting this diagram...

Black mark to MA, then!

So pleased you are enjoying the system (and the music, of course)!

I am...I seriously am! Can't believe how much difference there is listening to the same song through a decent system...I think I am becoming addicted to this hi-fi world...can't count the pages I read in the last week on Internet!! Would be nice to meet someone with the same passion here in Brussels also, I guess in London would have been much easier!!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Well done, Steve. A picture is worth a thousand words!

acalex said:
thanks again for the great help provided by posting this diagram...

Happy to have been able to help out. They only took few minutes to make though. I found the bi-wire picture on the internet and it only took a few quick changes to make the other two pictures from that.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
Thanks a lot! What do you think about the ampli? Is a German brand,not very known but to my ears (not experienced) it sounded more powerful than the Arcam and Marantz (same price level) and of a bigger Denon also.

I've never heard that amplifier myself but if it's the one that sounded best to your ears then that's all that counts. It must be pretty good if it sounds better than the Marantz (PM6003 ?) though.

acalex said:
What I meant is there is any particular song which is "complex" enough to fully enjoy those great speakers?

If you like classical then the 4th movement of Beethovens Symphony No.9 (Ode to Joy) is pretty complex.

Alternatively I remember being impressed by the RX6's when listening to The Prodigys new album 'Invaders Must Die' played at a highish volume with the bass turned up. Carful you don't blow your new bass drivers though. :twisted:

But if you want to hear your speakers at their best then listen to some songs that you already know really well. I remember rediscovering my music collection when I bought some top quality earphones. There was so much detail that I'd been previously missing without even realising it.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
acalex said:

I've never heard that amplifier myself but if it's the one that sounded best to your ears then that's all that counts. It must be pretty good if it sounds better than the Marantz (PM6003 ?) though.

acalex said:
What I meant is there is any particular song which is "complex" enough to fully enjoy those great speakers?

If you like classical then the 4th movement of Beethovens Symphony No.9 (Ode to Joy) is pretty complex.

Alternatively I remember being impressed by the RX6's when listening to The Prodigys new album 'Invaders Must Die' played at a highish volume with the bass turned up. Carful you don't blow your new bass drivers though. :twisted:

But if you want to hear your speakers at their best then listen to some songs that you already know really well. I remember rediscovering my music collection when I bought some top quality earphones. There was so much detail that I'd been previously missing without even realising it.

Thanks again, I am going to try those and of course all my music!!! Not sure the neighbors will aprreciate my new purchase :rockout:

acalex said:
Wow guys...this new system is just AMAZING!!! Can't stop of playing the Smooth Jazz channel in Accuradio...was in the bathroom and looked like a real orchestra was playing in my living...superb!!!

Thanks again and it's all your fault!!! :cheers:

If any of you should come to Brussels anytime soon, let me know! :)

Hi acalex

Nice one :)

Have a listen to the excellent song Heartspace which features on the album Global Drum Project. Heartspace, Baba, Dances With Woods and I Can Tell You More will put your system through its paces.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
I am going to try those

Beethoven's Ode to Joy is a great piece of music, it has so much variation and dynamic range (the quiet bits are very quiet and the loud bits are very loud). Sometimes there's just on instrument playing a simple piece of music and at others the whole orchestra is giving it's all. It's about 20 minutes long and starts off a bit slow but it's worth sticking with as it soon picks up after the first few minutes and then it just keeps getting better and better.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, thanks a lot guys!!! I just finished to listen to the Ode to Joy...amazing...would like to put volume a bit higher but it's late...damn! Whenever I will buy my own flat I want something isolated to play my music at a proper volume level :rockout:

Thanks Rick for the Global Drum Project...the sound is great and I will keep listening to this more and more only for the pleasure of being able to distinguish every single little sound...is amazing is like re-discovering the music!!!
Prodigy for tomorrow morning....cz I am playing now at volume level equal to 1 (on a scale from 0 to 10) and it's already enough for 11 o clock... :).

If you have some other songs please feel free to propose...it's like I was born again !!! :D

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Hadn't heard of the amp before but...mmm nice knobs...
untitled-2_21_60.gif

Indeed...and in my opinion sounds great!!! Maybe 2x50W (at 8 ohm) is not enough? I might want to upgrade in the future for this reason? What do you think?

The Denon I tried also was I think 2x90W or something like that...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Indeed...and in my opinion sounds great!!! Maybe 2x50W (at 8 ohm) is not enough? I might want to upgrade in the future for this reason? What do you think?

The Denon I tried also was I think 2x90W or something like that...

Don't get caught up in the "power rating" of amps, as specs alone can be misleading. If you are getting a sound that you love, at your regular listening volume.....sit back and enjoy and ignore the "itch" to change.

If you like Vincent amps, when you eventually do change, it may well be one of these very excellent amps, that you should consider. They do tubes and hybrid (I think) as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts