Switching from a Poject Phonobox USB to Musical Fidelity V-LPS + V-PSU

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Recently bit the bullit and switched out my Project Phonobox2 USB. Read all the reviews and even though it's technically a trade down went for the Musical Fidelity V-LPS. Sounded good but wanted a bit more so added the V-PSU and haven't looked back. Sounds fantastic and remains quite a small unit like the Project. Wrote a full review on my blog if anyone's interested in making the switch as I'd thoroughly recommend it. Link to my article below. http://www.theapplechap.com/TheAppleChap/Blog/Entries/2011/5/11_Switching_from_a_Pro-ject_PhonoBoxII_USB_to_MF_V-LPS%2BV-PSU.html Shame WhatHiFi hasn't done a full review on V-LPS as it's an absolute bargain for what you get. I have it runnig a Denon 103R of my Pro-ject RPM5 turntable into an Icon Audio valve amp with no problems at all so can handle pretty good cartridges. Started off with the Ortofon 2M Red and that sounded great too. Thought I'd share my thoughts as there aren't many great reviews of the pair out there at the moment. Hope you enjoy the read. TheAppleChap

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've always been intrigued about the addition of better PSU's to kit.

What improvements did you find with the V-PSU over the basic PSU supplied with your V-LPS?

A

Anonymous

The V-PSU really brings out the musically from the record. What do I mean by this? Mostly a broader soundstage (the instruments seem way broader than the speakers) the music is richer and more spacious. Particularly on well recorded music, each instrument is so clear and lifelike and seems to have so much space around it. It's the sort of music I've only heard on really expensive equipment before even though mine is fairly modest, using mid-priced cables and placed only on a sideboard. I have also been able to enhance my cartridge from Ortofon 2M Red to Denon 103R and I think it could even take more. Just one of those bargains that come along every so often in HiFi that punches well above it's weight. Adding the V-PSU was like switching on the light, it really made that much difference. It's a shame it's so expensive but I know others have built their own or used one from Amazon, marlins or radioshack to the same benefit. Someone also suggested using a 12v 3A lead acid battery. I've tried this and it works but I'm quite I'll at the moment and haven't summoned up the energy to test it yet. Hope this helps but to summarise. Go for it!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
TheAppleChap said:
The V-PSU really brings out the musically from the record. What do I mean by this? Mostly a broader soundstage (the instruments seem way broader than the speakers) the music is richer and more spacious. Particularly on well recorded music, each instrument is so clear and lifelike and seems to have so much space around it. It's the sort of music I've only heard on really expensive equipment before even though mine is fairly modest, using mid-priced cables and placed only on a sideboard. I have also been able to enhance my cartridge from Ortofon 2M Red to Denon 103R and I think it could even take more. Just one of those bargains that come along every so often in HiFi that punches well above it's weight. Adding the V-PSU was like switching on the light, it really made that much difference. It's a shame it's so expensive but I know others have built their own or used one from Amazon, marlins or radioshack to the same benefit. Someone also suggested using a 12v 3A lead acid battery. I've tried this and it works but I'm quite I'll at the moment and haven't summoned up the energy to test it yet. Hope this helps but to summarise. Go for it!
Turntable on a sideboard tut tut. I think you need a wall shelf like DIB has just bought.
smiley-money-mouth.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts