SVS PB13 Ultra v M&K MX350

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks

My upgrade path continues and I am now considering changing my speaker package to M&K S150 LCR , SS150 rears and a M&K MX 350 sub

Does anyone have any views on a SVS PB13 Ultra as an alternative for the sub?

I live in Scotland so it is not easy to get a demo of these products so I have to do my research online , cant seem to find reviews from the UK consumer press on these either

Looking forward to yur comments

A

Anonymous

Stereophile is the only place I've seen an official review of the SVS PB13U, but it's well regarded online. Having only one UK distributor has reduced it's mainstream press appeal as it's inclined to draw sales away from the majority of Hi-fi retailers, rather than to them.

There's one for sale right now in the classifieds of another site if it's of interest. They are beasts, but then so is the M&K.

Would love to have a chance to compare them. Perhaps someone on here has. In the end I decided I couldn't afford the upgrade to the PBUltra so went with a BK monolith, but the PB is the upgrade path I'd choose when the time comes.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris: Having only one UK distributor has reduced it's mainstream press appeal as it's inclined to draw sales away from the majority of Hi-fi retailers, rather than to them.

There you go again with your groundless theories, Will. Please refrain from once more thinking you know how a (certainly this) magazine works, when you clearly don't.

You can see from our reviews of the Beresford DACs, EB Acoustics speakers, Clearer Audio cables and many more that we're happy to test (and highly rate!) products that aren't carried by wide range of retailers/are sold direct.

We'd be happy to review SVS products (assuming users can try before they buy easily enough) if they were supplied.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I personally haven't heard the SVS, but I've heard a few comments from customers who have passed through our store who have. Any that have bought them have bought blind, so they haven't heard them - they're purely going by what has been said on forums. Some who have been an audition weren't impressed enough to buy one - which sounds contrary to how people talk about them on forums. One guy bought one of their subs and sent it back as he wasn't impressed at all.

Like anything, a manufacturer can only do a so much for a given price point, so it's rare for any one maufacturer to stand head and shoulders above the rest. Not impossible, but rare.

The other thing to consider is whether you want a ported sub. A port, without getting technical, is basically there to exaggerate frequencies that a speaker or sub can't reach. This is to give the impression that they reach lower than they do, and to make them sound more imressive. It also messes up the frequency response - a sealed cabinet has a far more even in room response than a ported one does. More and more manufacturers are going back to sealed subs as they're a easier to integrate into a multitude of different rooms.

Another thing to consider is that many subs aren't particularly good once they get up to 80Hz and above. This is usually overlooked, and is important depending on the speakers being considered. Even 150's, which should usually be crossed over at 80Hz, sometimes sound better crossed over at 90, 100, or sometimes even 120Hz - decent sealed subs can deal with this range quite easily, but many ported ones struggle.

I'll hopefully at some point replace my 850 with a 350 - the 850 sounds pretty deep with immense scale - it's scary to think of what the 350 will sound like in it's place as it has an extra 12" driver in a push pull design!

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
Will Harris: Having only one UK distributor has reduced it's mainstream press appeal as it's inclined to draw sales away from the majority of Hi-fi retailers, rather than to them.

There you go again with your groundless theories, Will. Please refrain from once more thinking you know how a (certainly this) magazine works, when you clearly don't.

You can see from our reviews of the Beresford DACs, EB Acoustics speakers, Clearer Audio cables and many more that we're happy to test (and highly rate!) products that aren't carried by wide range of retailers/are sold direct.

We'd be happy to review SVS products (assuming users can try before they buy easily enough) if they were supplied.

Actually, I thought that was quite a conservative comment. It wasn't a dig at you guys for not reviewing them. I know they've never sent you one to review. You mustn't assume that every post I make is WHF bashing.

Be lovely to see how the BK Monolith does in a WHF test, any likelyhood they'll send you one? I know you've done others in the BK range and they don't even have outlets, they're sold direct from the maker.

The JL Audio Fathom f113 subwoofer is another to consider, though rather expensive. No idea where you'd source them in the uk, but they're around $3,500 and thought to be one of the best. Maybe someone else can advice on availability here.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Will, if you blacken 'the press', you tar us with the same brush. Anyone reading your comments could assume - if we didn't rebut them - that your conjecture was the truth, whereas (in our case, at least) it's far from it. Just clarifying the situation. And it would help if you would refrain from insisting you know how 'the press' works, when you don't! It would save a lot of our and your time...

Anyway, back on topic. Yes, as mentioned, we'd be happy to review any of these other subs. Maybe as "you know" SVS haven't sent us one, you can encourage them to do so! I'll mention SVS and those other brands to the test team in the meantime - we could do with a subwoofer test soon.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

I personally haven't heard the SVS, but I've heard a few comments from customers who have passed through our store who have. Any that have bought them have bought blind, so they haven't heard them - they're purely going by what has been said on forums. Some who have been an audition weren't impressed enough to buy one - which sounds contrary to how people talk about them on forums. One guy bought one of their subs and sent it back as he wasn't impressed at all.

Like anything, a manufacturer can only do a so much for a given price point, so it's rare for any one maufacturer to stand head and shoulders above the rest. Not impossible, but rare.

The other thing to consider is whether you want a ported sub. A port, without getting technical, is basically there to exaggerate frequencies that a speaker or sub can't reach. This is to give the impression that they reach lower than they do, and to make them sound more imressive. It also messes up the frequency response - a sealed cabinet has a far more even in room response than a ported one does. More and more manufacturers are going back to sealed subs as they're a easier to integrate into a multitude of different rooms.

Another thing to consider is that many subs aren't particularly good once they get up to 80Hz and above. This is usually overlooked, and is important depending on the speakers being considered. Even 150's, which should usually be crossed over at 80Hz, sometimes sound better crossed over at 90, 100, or sometimes even 120Hz - decent sealed subs can deal with this range quite easily, but many ported ones struggle.

I'll hopefully at some point replace my 850 with a 350 - the 850 sounds pretty deep with immense scale - it's scary to think of what the 350 will sound like in it's place as it has an extra 12" driver in a push pull design!

Thanks to everyone who responded and for Davids comprehensive reply

Noted about the MX350 being a sealed unit but I believe the SVS 13 Ultra can be bunged which seals it , happy to be corrected

Would have been nice if some owners of both Subs gave their views though?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome: Anyway, back on topic. Yes, as mentioned, we'd be happy to review any of these other subs. Maybe as "you know" SVS haven't sent us one, you can encourage them to do so! I'll mention SVS and those other brands to the test team in the meantime - we could do with a subwoofer test soon.I thought you guys reviewed an SB12 a few years back? I'm sure it was in a test with an M&K sub and a few others......

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
lesmor:Thanks to everyone who responded and for Davids comprehensive reply

Noted about the MX350 being a sealed unit but I believe the SVS 13 Ultra can be bunged which seals it , happy to be corrected

Would have been nice if some owners of both Subs gave their views though?No problem.

'Bunging' the holes usually involves foam of a certain density - unless the SVS uses 'solid' bungs, it's not quite going to act as a real sealed sub does - even if they are, it has to be airtight. There's a lot of air pressure in there!!

TRENDING THREADS