SVS Pb-2000 vs Arendal Sub 1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Nugget turn eq off, set level back to 0 and distance to 0 if you want to be sure of ruling out other factors

But in your room you have limited options - for me the crawl test is a waste of time all it tells you is where you have most boomed bass - not the smoothest

Measuring the freq response is the only way to know - everyone should be able to do this / learn how to do this.

Corner loading has several benefits and is easy to work with - dual subs does make this much easier

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
jesus, i don't know where to start with the problems! the crawl test was a non starter (although i'll do the measuring of response instead like ellis said) bluetooth wouldnt work as my phone wouldn't connect to the receiver so reset the avr, NOW my phone after the avr still didnt work with the phone..haven't even started on the settings then sorting sub out

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Nugget turn eq off, set level back to 0 and distance to 0 if you want to be sure of ruling out other factors

But in your room you have limited options - for me the crawl test is a waste of time all it tells you is where you have most boomed bass - not the smoothest

Measuring the freq response is the only way to know - everyone should be able to do this / learn how to do this.

Corner loading has several benefits and is easy to work with - dual subs does make this much easier

i haven't done the first audyssey calibration, should i not do it yet at all since resetting my receiver to factory settings? and distance to 0 do you mean on the speaker distance settings? as in 0ft away from sub?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i tried the sub on the longer wall, with the sofa facing that way if the whole system was there, listened to music at about 80db for 10 mins and couple of times i very slightly felt some air against my leg, which means when the system is setup and calibrated right it SHOULD be improved in that area, although the sofa was 1 foot too close. moving it back might change things completely, the sub front right wall (back left on previous diagram) seems to work best.

so i'm going ahead with moving the system. next wednesday it's probably going to happen. then i'll run audyssey, measure the SPL of various frequencies in different seats of the sofa, then move the sofa 1 foot back of the usual position, do another test to see if the performance is worse or better. until i find the best possible seating position. i'll give it a few weeks and watch a few films at various volumes to see if it's changed at all for the better.

i should be able to get better response in the new layout. if not my entire room is screwed! although i think i have decided to go for dual subs when budget allows, instead of getting the biggest one possible like BB said. as my room is problematic and overall frequency smoothness over the room is the best thing i can do.

i guess i will update once i have moved the room around, and done some listening over a few days.

and i also seen a dali ikon sub mk2 on clearance at my local richer sounds for £350 after the extra 10% discount, i was tempted. but then i thought in the longrun i would suffer as they aren't the best subs available and there are better dual options for not much more.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Glad my suggestion appears to have helped.

You need to get it all setup and settle in before making a judgment.

I will be damned if overall it ends up worse.

Honestly can't see it - your biggest hurdle is tv position because of the radiator but I still think wall mounting above depending on rad temp in winter I suppose

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Glad my suggestion appears to have helped.

You need to get it all setup and settle in before making a judgment.

I will be damned if overall it ends up worse.

Honestly can't see it - your biggest hurdle is tv position because of the radiator but I still think wall mounting above depending on rad temp in winter I suppose

don't use the radiator anyway. besides, i don't like the idea of wall mounting as i have those things that stick out halfway up the wall that goes all around, like skirting boards but on the wall in middle. can't think of the name at all..means i'd have to have the tv hanging up super high, or sticking out quite a bit forward. plus i always prefer looking straight on, never been a fan of looking up to watch stuff.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Dado Rail is even easier depending on age is mdf or man made fibre board.

Cut it where you want to remove it at each end - gently peel it off in one long section with scraper or somthing to get under it - you dont even need a dust sheet for that.

Keep it, if you need to refit it for whatever reason glue it back on with a stronger trade type gripfil / no nails type glue - loads available for a few pound, bit of filler - sand it down, paint - 2 hours tops.

Job Done - learn some DIY skills at the same time - Its honestly easy

If you break it chances are B&Q sell sections of it in the same design - might be worth a check first if you are unsure.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
not sure where to put the left speaker, should i move it closer to the tv, or toe it in towards the listening position? as it's firing straight to the alcove wall. also not sure about the tv position, as sitting off axis can wash out the image as it's curved/va panel not the best viewing angles.

also should i have the sub closest to the corner or where it is now with speaker closer to the corner?

cokVe43.jpg
[/img]

kjXVpph.jpg
[/img]

2IPDKr3.jpg
[/img]

the images show the options on sub/right speaker placement. does it look weird having the right speaker closer to the tv with the left one further away? or am i just being stupid or having OCD here?

any tips now? i still have to wire the speakers back up and sort the little bits out.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Dude only just seen this will respond better in a bit

I might make a new thread dedicated to the topic of my room and troubles as this one was designed to decide between 2 subs. A lot of progress has been made
It will be easier if all info is in one place i would thought.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Nugget that looks better but work to be done.

For starters the tv doesn't look central?
I assume your trying to line up with the coach ??

A few things you want the subs in the corners not the speakers

You want the speakers equal distance apart ideally from the tv thats why not having the tv central becomes an issue because the system will always be one sided - this is not ideal we want symmetry

You can see now why I said wall mounted speakers would be better because it opens up floor space for your subs and allows for exact placement of your speakers
As it's stands you are fighting for floor space.

Once you get your speakers positioned best you can use music in direct mode on the amp to place them you then know how much width you have got for any new subs.

Let me know how you get on

hemiutut

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi.

Next week I expect to receive my Sub 1.

I´m looking and I see some comparison.

It is clear that the SVS is ported and sealing Arendal.

The SVS Sb2000 would be his most natural competition,

I do not see any comparison.

Excuse my English,I use a translator.

Greetings.

hemiutut said:
Hi.

Next week I expect to receive my Sub 1.

I´m looking and I see some comparison.

It is clear that the SVS is ported and sealing Arendal.

The SVS Sb2000 would be his most natural competition,

I do not see any comparison.

Greetings.

Do let us know your thoughts. *good*

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i'll be getting my backdated money after all, so i might be getting a new sub in 2 weeks or so, i am still undecided between sub 1 or pb-2000, i'd get the sub 1 but i am afraid i would miss the ported effect. especially lately when i've been watching films near reference levels.

hemiutut

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

When you receive my Sub 1 Arendal,i will try to meet with a friend and measure REW + Umik-1.

I have heard that the Pb2000 lower and more com SPL,but the Arendal gives more kick

( SPL up starting 25 Hz ).

I live in a apartament,i have neighbors and the woman does not like high volume.

If Arendal had ported Sub 1 1723,I had asked.

I hope that in the future Arendal have the option of Sub 1 ported to compete below 20 Hz with Pb2000.

The choice has been for the white,woman sends a lot.

And it was clear that before the SVS SB2000,my choice was the Sub 1.

Sub 3 1723 budget leaves me.

Greetings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts