Surround Sound VS Soundbar

mannisrai

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
So, i'm brand new to home cinema. I don't have any equipment at this time, and i don't really want to be spending more than £400, that includes ALL cables aswell.

So i'm currently deciding between an av reciever/speaker package or soundbar. Here is why i want to buy each:

AV reciever/speaker package - pros:

full surround sound experience

Sounbar - pros:

Cheaper seperate components which would arguably produce better sq?

Lack of wires trailing everywhere

Lack of space needed unlike AV reciever

If i brought an AV reciever/5.1 speakers/cables/wires for £400 or just one soundbar for £400, what would produce better sound quality?

mannisrai said:
If i brought an AV reciever/5.1 speakers/cables/wires for £400 or just one soundbar for £400, what would produce better sound quality?

This one.

showimage.php

Only buy standard 79 strand OFC cables, like this one.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Depends what you mean by sound quality. If you're looking for a proper surround experience, good as they are, no soundbar will be able to reproduce that as well as a proper 5.1 setup. But if you're looking more at things like music playback (not just dedicated - this can be just as important for movie watching), quality of dialogue etc, then there's probably a bit more debate to be had - it's quite possible a soundbar will be able to do this better than a budget AV receiver / satellite speaker setup.

Audition is key!

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I own a Yamaha soundbar and whilst it is great for movies, it's poor with stereo but a bit better with music gigs in 5.1 but not close to a proper 5.1.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Can I give you a bit of a left-field suggestion?

I appreciate that this doesn't exactly fit your original post, but if I was spending £400 on a system, I know what I would do.

I've heard an expensive soundbar and a cheap surround set-up and was very unimpressed with both. Personally I'd look at a basic stereo system. For example a Marantz PM6004 (currently at £250 from Richer Sounds) and Q Acoustics 2010 (£125 from same place) (or similar - this is just to a starting point suggestion to get you thinking).

Most hifi shops will give you a 'package' price if you purchase the amp, speakers, interconnects and speaker stands at the same time, so if you tell them what your maximum budget is, they'll work out the best they can do for you to that cost. I had a stereo system like this for many years for both music and movie duties and in my humble opinion, would have pulverised any cheap surround receiver or soundbar equivalent for the same money.

I've only quite recently gone down the surround sound route myself; but I've spent around three times the amount on my AV receiver and surround speakers compared with my original stereo set-up. I didn't see the point in getting a cheaper surround system that offered a poorer sound quality.

You won't have the same degree of control over the sound as an AV receiver, but what you do here will be far clearer and more engaging. Crucially though, you would need to check that your TV has an analogue RCA output. (I'm assuming that you already have the sources you want).

My system went like this: Bluray and Virgin Box HDMI into TV; then RCA analogue output from TV to stereo amp.

If you've got your heart set on a soundbar or surround, then fair enough, by all means check out the options suggested by the other contributors (or could you consider a slightly better second-hand system?); but at the very least I would treat your ears to a demo for a stereo money equivalent package. I think you would be surprised at the increase in sound quality. It's a bit like comparing a basic BMW with a high-end Ford for the same money. One has all the bells and whistles, but the other one has the quality.

What may influence your decision is how much music you listen to compared with movies. You pays your money and takes your choice.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Something else worth looking at maybe?

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd/r-one-hd/

I have one and very happy with it.. excellent fo movies and is pretty good for stereo through my av receiver with subwoofer engaged..

The advantage is you can add rears at some point in the future if budget/wiring is a possibility

Cheers,
Mick

mannisrai

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I have looked at them, and they do seem pretty good, but you think they will produce better sound quality (stereo or surround) than a soundbar such as JBL SB400 for example?

micks_address said:
Something else worth looking at maybe?

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd/r-one-hd/

I have one and very happy with it.. excellent fo movies and is pretty good for stereo through my av receiver with subwoofer engaged.. The advantage is you can add rears at some point in the future if budget/wiring is a possibility Cheers, Mick

That's a brilliant suggestion! :clap:

Certainly superior to a soundbar, with the flexibility to add rear speakers & a subwoofer for a full 5.1 setup at a later date.

Bear in mind that you will need an AV receiver to go with it.

mannisrai

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response, was quite long and detailed and must of took you a long time! :)

However, i won't be moving into that direction as that's way too far and unfamiliar into what set-up i want. I'm looking for home cinema, and that set-up certainly wouldn't meet my needs, and wouldn't satisfy the research i have done over the past few months about home cinema.

I'm not looking for a professional set-up, I'm not an audiophile, but i know what sound I like and i can adjust very easily, i'm not too picky. And i know a £400 set-up will not be out of this world, but it'll be much better than my TV speakers i have at the moment!

Infact, my cousin had a set-up similar to what you are suggesting, and i was very unimpressed. When he was playing a Harry Potter blu-ray definitly regarded as high quality audio with DTS-HD audio codec, the dialogue was muffled and too quiet, and the overall sound was unflattering. i have had the pleasure of auditioning the Boston Acoustics as suggested by Big Boss, and in my opinion, it's way superior in terms of surround and sound quality. But i guess audio is a subjective matter which comes down to personal taste and needs.

Thanks for the great advice, and i may use it to get some stereo speakers for elsewhere in the house, because they do sound good, but just not as a substitute for home cinema :)

mannisrai said:
Wow! Now that's certainly going on my list as a contender, thanks!

Looks great, and hope it sounds great too - might have a look into it :p :grin:

Yes, Monitor Audio Radius One HD is an excellent option, but it will take you way beyond your budget. It costs £499; add another £176 for the Yamaha RX-V373 (although the Radius One HD will benefit from a much superior amplification with AV receivers costing £800 minimum), and the cables.

mannisrai said:
Big Boss, what do you think of these? Obviously for me, not for you, so bearing in mind that will my experience and expectations of a system will be much lower than yours.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/jbl/cinema-sb400/jbl-sb400

Never heard these. I'm yet to hear a soundbar outperform a similarly priced 5.1 system.

Given that the speakers originally retailed for £400 and got a 5-star review, this appears a bargain. I haven't heard them personally, but I would expect them to outperform the Boston Acoustics.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I picked up my Monitor Audio Radius One for £299 from Sevenoaks Hifi. I didn't mention it originally due to total budget considerations, but if you check out their website, from their Homepage, check "In store Clearance". I just checked - there were 3 examples listed each for £299. I ordered mine by phone and got it delivered for about £20.

If you're after ANYTHING, this is always a good location to check first. I saved £500 from list price for the Radius One, R370HD sub & R90HD rears. You might pick up a bargain AV receiver there too. I found Pioneer suited me but many recommend Yamaha to partner the Radius. It's worth keeping an eye on particular model numbers of AV receivers that you're interested in, then watching their price steadily plummet (if things can indeed plummet steadily) throughout the year's cycle. A good time to buy AV receivers is just after the newer model is introduced.

mannisrai

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Just an update incase anyone was wondering

I am not going for a sounbar, instead a home cinema system (5.1 surround sound system), i tried one out today at Richer Sounds and i was definitly impressed by the TFX system as i demoed it for 30 minutes, certainly good enough for me right now, considering i'm only 17!

Thanks for all your suggestions, but Big Boss, you were right!

:)

mannisrai said:
Just an update incase anyone was wondering

I am not going for a sounbar, instead a home cinema system (5.1 surround sound system), i tried one out today at Richer Sounds and i was definitly impressed by the TFX system as i demoed it for 30 minutes, certainly good enough for me right now, considering i'm only 17!

Thanks for all your suggestions, but Big Boss, you were right!

:)

:cheers:

Selfbuildnewhomes

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I Have an old school set up for my home entertainment....JVC JA-S44 Amp, 4 speakers wired as "Hafler Hook up" and any film or music in stereo sounds awesome. I listened to a friends 5.1 suround sound on a film and same film sounded better on my system! More transients heard in the sound with floor wobling feeling, crystal clear top end and when a planes fly over in a movie I still get front to back overhead feeling as well as left and right pan.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Sound Bar is a puerile compromise, an excuse, a bodge.

All my friends and acquaintances who took that sad path (mainly due to their partners) ended up buying real and proper home AV systems eventually.

People may well prognosticate the benefits of Sound Bars but they are whatever the cost a mere compromise and bodge, look up comb filters for example.

Be realistic, you cannot alter real facts of physics, ignore and you WILL end up spending twice. How stupid is that?

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
I spent twice. Wifey didn't want lots of speakers in the lounge so I bought a soundbar. Then I bought myself a surround system and turned one of our spare bedrooms into a home cinema room! 8)

mannisrai

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
For anyone however, who does want to buy a soundbar and doesn't wish to break the bank.

I had the pleasure of testing this one in Currys. The sound quality is fantastic for the money, and you may think that's a bold statement as the company is LG who are not exactly known for 'amazing' sound quality. But even read the review, it's a fantastic soundbar. Great bass, clear sound, real cinema feel, wide and tall soundstage, crisp detail.

Just a heads up for anyone who does infact fancy a soundbar.

Link: http://www.whathifi.com/review/nb3520a

TRENDING THREADS