Surround sound in a basement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought a 50" Samsung plasma PS50B650 5 stars in last month What HIFI, this is for my basement (which will be used as a gym and film watching room) it is basically a hard box room 2m high x 3.5m wide x 6.7m long. The walls are thermalite bricks (Like breeze blocks) painted, and the floor is wood. The room has no soft furnishings in the room whatsoever except we will put a 3 seat sofa in it.

The TV i got for £945, it will only be used for DVD's and TV films so I am wondering what sort of Blu Ray and surround sound to buy to go with it bearing in mind I don''t want to spend more on the Blu Ray recorder and surround sound than I did for the TV and that the room has no soft edges or materials.

I guess I need a surround sound system that give a 'soft' sound, I am thinking of buying the Sony BDP-S360 Blu ray or Samsung BD-P1600 which is going to cost ~ £200 leaving me up to £700 for the surround sound....Any suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Unless u are going to do some accustic treatment to that room, then u might as well do your self a favour and just buy the cheapest system within your price range and save money.

Because no matter which system u buy , it will eventually sound harsh & bright in that room

And let's be honest alone at the price range of £700 most system will tend to sound bright even in a reasonably treated room , but in your case even buying a High-End system it will not give you that smooth sound u looking for in sucha room.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I would seriously consider getting some sort of soft furnishing down there - sound reflections are going to more of an issue in a room that size with a surround system. Without going to the expense of expensive acoustic treatment, a rug will help as would hanging some curtains around the side walls - I know there are probably no windows, but some full length curtains across the side and back walls would help absorb the sound and prevent it bouncing around in there and messing up the surround soundstage.

It could also make it look a bit nicer
emotion-1.gif

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Would the Audessey EQ not compensate for the room acoustics ? Or at least go a good way to minimise the effects of the room. It might be worth spending a little bit more for an AV amp with the latest Audessey EQ. Im not 100% sure but I think the more expensive amps do a better job with the auto EQ than say a low range model.

Maybe you could do a 60's themed room? Get some nice **** pile on the walls and floor a few bean bags etc, it would be totally far out....man
emotion-4.gif

EDIT: What the ****, that should read sh*g pile.

A

Anonymous

thanks guys, better get the wife to tart (soften) the room up then :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts