Sunlight, Speakers and Fading

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Because of the position of my CM8 speakers - one is in front of a window - I have a potential problem of sunlight fading part of the veneered sides of the speakers.

As I cannot move the speakers (forbidden from rearranging the room) , Mrs C has agree to make me a pair of covers for the speakers - can be removed if necessary, but otherwise might stay in position all the time.

The covers will fit over top, sides and back down to where the cables and port hole are. The front will be completely open.

Anyone else had this problem, and solutions?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Not had it with speakers, but have had it with furniture.

TBH, I'd just live with it. That's the beauty of real wood. The only time it puts me off is when you see the stark 'tan line' where the grilles have been removed from a faded speaker. A natural, gradual fade isn't anything to worry about IMO.

You could of course swap them out for the high gloss black or white finishes.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm concerned that there will be one side with a faded look, compared to the rest - so potentially unsellable (if I ever needed to).

I'll posta pic with the covers in place - once they are delivered from upstairs :)

DandyCobalt said:
Because of the position of my CM8 speakers - one is in front of a window - I have a potential problem of sunlight fading part of the veneered sides of the speakers.

As I cannot move the speakers (forbidden from rearranging the room) , Mrs C has agree to make me a pair of covers for the speakers - can be removed if necessary, but otherwise might stay in position all the time.

The covers will fit over top, sides and back down to where the cables and port hole are. The front will be completely open.

Anyone else had this problem, and solutions?

Yup, hence my speakers are light oak. My theory is any fading won't be as noticable with lighter colours. Also, every six months or so I move the speakers around.

matthewpiano

Its one of those things unfortunately. We often see fade lines on grand pianos in wood finishes, or on the front panel of upright pianos where the fall has been left up all the time. The only way to avoid it is to cover over or make sure it is in a place where there isn't any strong sunlight.

Your OH's covers sound like the best solution if you are really bothered about it.

Messiah

I would just go for the covers.

I cannot think of any other options really.

(Better not give that idea to the Wife or my speakers would be covered to save her (and Me I should add) having to dust them. Gotta love everything in Gloss Black!)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
And to turn them upside-down every other year for that all round tan...

...and back to front every 4th year.

Funny how we get darker with exposure to sunlight whilst speakers get lighter. Maybe you should make some covers out of skin?

A

Anonymous

busb said:
What a missed marketing opportunity - custom speaker covers! Any double glazing sales persons here?

EDITED BY MODS – please don't attack other members

As for the wood fading - I reckon go with the covers!

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Fading happens gradually and you really only notice it when you stand it side by side with an unfaded surface. I had some Celestion SL6's for years in a bay window and when you upturned them (veneered all round) I thought "Wow... were they really that colour when new".

There are some very good coloured polishes on the market. Do a search for "traditional beeswax coloured polishes". Like these,

http://www.the-emporium.co.uk/product-detail/277576/cambridge-traditional-products-5oz.-brown-beeswax-furniture-polish-p4

These don't give the instant shine of spray polishes but add a deep lustre to the veneer with the coloured polishes maintaining the darkness of the wood.

A

Anonymous

Globs said:
As for the wood fading - I reckon go with the covers!

Regarding the wood, light B&W wood is okay, it doesn't fade too badly. Other brands are far worse for it, Monitor Audio and even more so, ProAc.

Sliced Bread said:
Do white speakers yellow over time?

6079114331_a7aaeda672_m.jpg

A

Anonymous

Aesthetics aside, I would be more concerned if the heat and UV from the sun were to dry out the flexible surround of the speaker cones. I dont know how suceptible modern speakers are to this tho...just a thought. Flexible/rubbery type materials general don't like being exposed to direct sunlight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts