Sumiko Pearl or Ortofon 2M Red?

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I just got a Pro-Ject RPM1 Carbon turntable, and I'm wondering which cartridge I should get. Anyone have a preference between the Sumiko Pearl or the Ortofon 2M Red? I mention these two becasue my local dealer is willing to give me either with the turntable without an additional cost. Does anyone think its worth spending money on a different cartridge?

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
...about the Sumiko as I have never heard me. I fitted a 2M red to my TT a couple of months ago or so, and have been really thrilled with it. I wonder if there is any chance of you being able to listen to both of them?

Personally I would avoid the 2M red. Can he do, at least a Blue? If not go for the Sumiko.

This is however just a personal thing as both are cheap and the bottom end of each range.

These are basic cartridges and, like the equivalent Rega Bias, are fitted to the entry level decks. Do yourself a favour if you can and head higher up the chain because, quite frankly, these cartridges are much of a muchness in their ability to do anything which is why they are fitted to entry level decks.

If you want a really good sounding system you simply cannot do it on the cheap, leastways not the cartridge.

Varun Santhanam said:
I listened to both and ended up with the Sumiko. I didn't want to spend more than I already had on the turntable + amp + speakers, and I figured I could upgrade later if need be.

@Al_ears, any reason is the Ortofon 2M Blue really that much better?

Good choice. I could never get along with the sound of the 2M Red.

The Blue has a slightly different presentation and, to my mind, this should be the minimum entry point to Ortofon cartridges. You get what you pay for and most of the entry-level cartridges from any manufacturer tend to be basic built-to-budget rubbish.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts