Suitable power amp to partner with a Quad 77 integrated amp

Longshanks

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Can anyone recommend a suitable power amp to partner my Quad 77 integrated . I beleive it has to be of a similar circuit type ie current dumping . Any answers would be very welcome .

Ted.

Hi Ted, what are you looking to achieve by adding a power amp to an eighty watt integrated? If more power then I am not sure Quad do anything suitable, though their website is so hard to navigate I can't be sure.

I can be sure you don't need a current dumping design. So, to help others help you, what is your budget and what are you hoping to achieve? And the speakers you use?

Longshanks

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
yes i suppose a bit more power , i have Quad 12l Classic speakers , in fact its all new ( to me ) . After purchasing the 12l speakers i see this 77 amp for sale @ £200 and thought i would go for it . Maybe i am being a bit picky with wanting more power . Just wanted a heads up on suitable partners .

Nothing obvious comes to mind, and I'd have thought them pretty ideally paired as you are. Even a 150watt amp at max will only play 3 decibels louder, so if you have a large room or like very loud music I'd direct you to some speakers less refined but more efficient (electrically) which will play louder on your amp.

Am I right in assuming you are looking at used gear?

nopiano said:
Tannoy DC6 for under £400 worth a look. Can't copy link, but Google them. At several stores inc Peter Tyson. You could get something back for the 12Ls.

Not quite too sure what the OP will gain by replacing a 87dB speakers with an 88dB rated speaker but I do like Tannoys.

Unless the OP lives in a barn then the Quad should adequately drive the 12L's without need for a power amp.

Should he not be getting what he requires from it then I suggest only option would be large efficient (90dB+) floorstanders., something along the lines of the MFV speakers perhaps.

However, if the OP had more funds, it might be worth seeking out the Quad 77 monoblocks as the 77 Stereo Power amp had only 80watts/per same as the integrated.

Longshanks

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies , it has pre outs i just wondered what would be of any benefit ie bi amping etc . i have the 12L bi wired at present . So really i was just fishing for thoughts .

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Longshanks said:
Thanks for the replies , it has pre outs i just wondered what would be of any benefit ie bi amping etc . i have the 12L bi wired at present . So really i was just fishing for thoughts .

Bi-amping with a second similarly powered amplifier will have no discernable impact on the power of the system. Virtually all the power is used in the bass region and the only way to improve the system power delivery is to increase the power of that amplifier considerably.

This is not difficult at all, neither is it expensive, though you do have to step away from the hi-fi mainstream. My suggestion would be the Crown XLS1500. Conservatively rated at 300wpc (8 ohms) and typically available (shop around) for £350-400, this will give your system a serious kick up the backside. If that is what you want to do then I know of nothing better within budget.

Al ears said:
nopiano said:
Tannoy DC6 for under £400 worth a look. Can't copy link, but Google them. At several stores inc Peter Tyson. You could get something back for the 12Ls.

Not quite too sure what the OP will gain by replacing a 87dB speakers with an 88dB rated speaker but I do like Tannoys.
. I thought they were actually 89 and sounded/measured nearer 90, and being bigger will sound larger too, soundstage etc. But fair point, Al. All in all a bit stumped.

And not sure even if Dave's advice of a 300wpc amp is appropriate for bookshelves, rated at up to 150w.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Al ears said:
nopiano said:

. I thought they were actually 89 and sounded/measured nearer 90, and being bigger will sound larger too, soundstage etc. But fair point, Al. All in all a bit stumped.

And not sure even if Dave's advice of a 300wpc amp is appropriate for bookshelves, rated at up to 150w.

Big power amplifiers are safe enough unless you go really crazy with the levels, but even then your ears (or your neighbour's ears) will give up first. At least you are not going to destroy the speakers by overdriving the power amplifiers.

You use powerful amplification, you know the benefits extra power can bring to a system. I used to use very high power amplification with 30 watt Spendor BC1s, I doubt any Spendors have sounded tighter, faster and more in control.

davedotco said:
Longshanks said:

Bi-amping with a second similarly powered amplifier will have no discernable impact on the power of the system. Virtually all the power is used in the bass region and the only way to improve the system power delivery is to increase the power of that amplifier considerably.

This is not difficult at all, neither is it expensive, though you do have to step away from the hi-fi mainstream. My suggestion would be the Crown XLS1500. Conservatively rated at 300wpc (8 ohms) and typically available (shop around) for £350-400, this will give your system a serious kick up the backside. If that is what you want to do then I know of nothing better within budget.

Which is why I suggested the Monoblocks.

However, it would appear this are either a) as rare as rocking-horse doo-doos or b) non existant.

Therefore I strongly suggest the OP uses his amp as a preamp and buys the Quad 606 stereo power amp currently appearing on a well-known auction site....... giving him 140 very nicew watts per channel..... I thank you!
regular_smile.gif

PS There is a 707 power amp on there but it's way over-priced.

Longshanks said:
Thanks for the info Al ears , do you know how best to configure the speakers if i was to obtain the 606 amp ??? .

By configure speakers are you meaning bi-amping them?

Personally I wouldn't bother, simply utilise the integrated as a preamp, leave the speaker links in and take a single cable run from the power amp.

Feel free to experiment though and if you do have the extra cable lying around you might try running removing the connecting bars and running integrated amp to woofer connections / power amp to tweeter connections.

Have a good listen and see which you prefer but if you have to go out and buy a second pair of speaker cables to do this then see if you can borrow a set from someone as you may find your hear no difference (don't want you spending money unnecessarily now do we?
regular_smile.gif
)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts