Suggestions re speakers for Marantz PM6005 & Pro-ject Debut Carbon (Ortofon red)

Hello people, I am seeking opinions and suggestions re the above set up. I am currently using Mission M73i's bi-wired as speakers but really do want to upgrade in near future - didn't have the cash at the time of purchases. I know that ultimately it comes down to trusting your ears and personal choices. However as a start I'm interested in others experiences of the above and their speaker choices. The speaker cables are Audioquest FLX Slip 14/4 which did improve the sound. I'm not an audiophile but do like a good sound. Music choice is broad most things A - Z except that cak they call R n B today! Open to all suggestions stand mount vs floorstanders before embarking on demo's and purchase.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I was reading on another site about the merits of the Wharfedale Denton Anniversary standmount speakers that originally retailed at £500 but are available new for half price on Ebay from HiFiCorner Ltd of Edinburgh, a reputable dealer. They are discounted by 50% only because of a very slight flaw in the badge, and come with full warrenty etc. By all accounts they perform exceedingly well, and for the price a real bargain. They come in the Mahogoney finish and look really nice in a retro sort of way.

I can spend about £500. Obviously if there is a bargain to be had ie: £250. gets me good stuff at half price then all the better. But - does the same principle apply at £500 as a reduced price? Given the speakers will be better, would the amp and t/t be up to matching the specs? (Power vs ohms/db etc?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes the amp should be OK as long as the speakers are fairly easy to drive. I would try Dali Zensor 3s, Kef R100s (over budget but may find some around £500). Richer Sounds have some good deals on Tannoys.

BigH said:
Yes the amp should be OK as long as the speakers are fairly easy to drive. I would try Dali Zensor 3s, Kef R100s (over budget but may find some around £500). Richer Sounds have some good deals on Tannoys.
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't really considered Kef as a choice. Will have a look at them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts