Suggestion/Floorstanding speakers Canton, MA or Jamo?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, i'm new on this board and new to the Hi-fi world too ;)

I'd like to buy a simple Hi-fi set (for a middle sized room), made of:

- 2 floorstand speakers (no subwoofer)

- A/V amplifier

I do not need the very best quality avaible on the market, but some decent speakers that would let me enjoy music and movies.

After reading a lot online, I finally wrote a list of possible choices:

- Canton GLE 490 (3 way, 150W, 90db, 20-30k Hz)

- Monitor Audio Bronze Reference 5 (3 way, 130W, 90db, 36-30k Hz)

- Jamo C 607 (3 way, 150W, 89db, 32-20k Hz) - a bit more expensive than the other two

- Mordaunt-Short Aviano 6 ( 2 way, 150W, 88db, 38-22k Hz)

There are also the Whaferdale Diamond 10.6 but I think they belong to a lower cathegory.

Regarding the amplifier, i was considering:

- Denon AVR 1910

- Pioneer VSX 919

I'm leaning towards the Canton GLE 490 + Denon amp... and MA bronze RF 5 as second choice..

Let me know what you think of these possible pairings. My budget si a little over 1000 euros, about 600€ for the loudspeakers and 400-450€ for the amp. If I got something wrong and these are not good choices, feel free to criticize ;)

Thanks for your replies..

A

Anonymous

if you want a hi-fi set up then i suggest you change your amplifier to something like the

• NAD C326BEE
  • MARANTZ PM6003
  • CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 640A V2

All of these 3 amps will perform better than your choices as they are dedicated hi-fi amps.

all the best

A

Anonymous

thanks for your reply ;)

So I should go for a stereo amplifier instead of home theatre & audio-video one.

Aren't those much less powerful than the ones I chose before? How better is the performance?

And what about speakers? Should i give priority to the amp instead?

A

Anonymous

I noticed the Harman Kardon: HK-3490 , stereo amplifier, 120Wx2 @8ohms, nice specs overall and doesn't cost much... Is this a possible alternative to the Marantz and Cambridge Audio?

I'd use the amp in combination with CD/DVD player and/or pc...

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
dont go for the jamos they are slow in the mids and treble.br5 are not very balanced.canton might be ok but I'd try the avianos to compare

A

Anonymous

ear:dont go for the jamos they are slow in the mids and treble.br5 are not very balanced.canton might be ok but I'd try the avianos to compare

So, in your opinion I should go for the Canton and Avianos. ;)

I also noticed the Whaferdale Diamond 10.6 and Klipsch RF82 (even if someone told me they're not very good for hi-fi).
Tell me your opinions about all of these speakers, after I have just 2-3 left I'll go listening to them in a hi-fi shop.

A

Anonymous

Ok, I'm starting to understand what to do.

I'm probably going for a Marantz PM6003 or 7003, and then I'll go listening to all the speakers I can find.

Mordaunt-Short Avianos, Canton GLE, Whaferdale Diamond 10.6 and Klipsch RF82 or similar...

Some are suggesting Focal Chorus, but they're above my budget... a

A

Anonymous

Oh god. I'm told that I must absolutely listen to the B&W 684, Paradigm Monitor 7 and Monitor Audio RX6.

Which means my wallet is going to have quite a hard time...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts